Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I love it how the "Experts", "Lecture" about "Form over Function" bla bla bla

In my opinion, if it is form over function then get a 1990 any bike (CBR F1, 1988 GSXR) for like $2500 and be done with it. A used one of those will smoke anything on this forum stock!

There is still an element of a "Cool" factor why everybody likes these "Cafe" racers. along with the history and the way it looks.

It was just a question. dont get all butt hurt. I thought forums was to exchange information. Not use the internet to be an "Internet Racer"

Dont want to reverse "Lecture" you "Experts"

(This is Gay)

(NOTE TO ADMIN: PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD OR DELETE IT TOTALLY. ARGUING OR "ONE UPPING" SOMEBODY ELSE QUSTION OR OPINION IS GAY)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Garagedoreen,
Don't think you're going to get off that easy. We have been through this before.
1. Fill out your bio!
2. Use the search function. That way you could have found the picture that Catboy originally sent. You also could have found out that this topic has been discussed before.
3. Don't come looking for opinions and then get pissy because they don't agree with your preconcieved notion of what is cool. Your right, "It was just a question." Accept the answers for what they are worth.
4. Don't be bashing on "experts" on here unless you want to get your butt handed to you on a platter. The actual expertise that is available on this board is among the best I have seen on an incredibly wide variety of topics, so unless you know more than many of us(yes, I include myself),then pay attention to the answers.
5. This is the interweb!!! What did you expect.
6. I don't think we lock or delete threads here. It is way too much fun to end it just because the original poster is unhappy. Lighten up and join the club or find some poseurs that will agree with you some other place. The interweb is a big place so I am sure there will be a comfey spot for everyone.

Your Pal,
Ken

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
and this was my be nice to little girls month too......aw shucks....I guess I am going to have to be tougher on them or they get all "uppity"

and by the way, what the hell is it with all the newbie cafe lemming questions lately...I think it may be time for a little population control.

aw well - I guess she doesn't get that the "style" of the "cafe bike" is to be a "functional" "Race bike" for the street. As much as you want to "pretend" that these bikes are "all about style" the truth is they get their style from being the ragged edge of a useful vintage performance motorcycle (look I can play the quotated game too!!!!!) Banging "knee dents" in for the look when you don't need them is pretty much waving the "I don't get it Flag". You talk about history but you are pretty fucking ignorant as to what that "history" of the bikes makes them cool.

but hey, do what every you want, you just want to be cool like everybody else anyway.

and my butt is fine thank you.

oh and I am a moderator twinkletits.....

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
What was forgotten here is its YOUR tank. Shape it anyway you want. UW gave a pretty good way of doing it. As was said you need a fair chunk of skill to do it. I've been building bikes for years and I've always bult them they way I wanted them (within the constraints of available cash that is) and if you don't like it, don't look at it. Cut, bash and weld and lets see the end result. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:if it is form over function then get a 1990 any bike (CBR F1, 1988 GSXR) for like $2500 and be done with it
hey garage, didn't you really mean "form follows function"?...just asking.
-parks
ps/btw...puss-man...nice tank! love the bangie tank look. especially when it's got an o-e reference. i could only make a tank that cool if wood held gasoline.

pps. had to throw in a "quote" element just to fit in.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Better, more recent pic of catboy's tank:

Don't know what your plans are, but I see that tank cleared as is with band stickers or grafitti looking stuff all over it.

Wondered how long the kinder,gentler Geeto would last....longer than expected LOL

Doreen,
Hang around awhile and you'll find that a lot of these guys aren't "internet racers". They're guys that actively build and race vintage motorcycles. Chances are there are several that have built bikes that make everything you've ever done look stupid and futile, so toughen the fuck up.

That being said Hoof's right. It's your bike do what you like. I'm not adamantly opposed to knee indents. Coming off dirtbikes, I like to grip the tank with my legs and get as far forward as I can. So done right, the argument can be made for the functionality of knee indents. I never run a tank of fuel through my bike in one stint anyhoo so decresed fuel capacity is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I think knee dents are just fine, but judging from my own first project, don't chomp off more than you can chew in the first go at this.

If you think this place is bad, try usa2strokers.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts