Cafe Racer Forum banner

Gauges and chain...

5K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  drainyoo 
#1 ·
Two more quick questions, shit I know Im annoying.

Light in the gauges, I assume there is one but mine must be blown out. Are these bad boys easy to replace? Will I have a hard time finding the bulbs?

Second, greasing up the chain. Whats the best way? WD40?

Thanks again.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
quote:
quote:

Light in the gauges, I assume there is one but mine must be blown out. Are these bad boys easy to replace? Will I have a hard time finding the bulbs?

Thanks again.
The lights should be available at an autoparts store, take a bulb with you to match up.

Chain - PUT THE WD40 DOWN!!!! go to a bike shop and buy chain lube. WD40 is a penetrating oil which means that it is not suited to be a lubricant for moving parts. Chain lube is usually thick and will stay on the chain for a while. The way you lube a chain is to put the bike on the center stand with the engine running and the bike in first gear (so the rear wheel is turning slowly - you can do this by hand too it just takes longer) and spray the chain as it rotates around. Get both sides. Once it looks like you have gotten all the chain (use it sparingly as the more you put on the more of a mess you will make), take the bike down and go for a ride. To avoid a greasy mess it is best to check the chain tension and alignment before you grease it up.
Gee, you are the man. The chain is pretty rusted and it squeaks when I ride. Some oil should do the trick.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This place is invaluable.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
quote:
quote:

Thanks again.
The lights should be available at an autoparts store, take a bulb with you to match up.

Chain - PUT THE WD40 DOWN!!!! go to a bike shop and buy chain lube. WD40 is a penetrating oil which means that it is not suited to be a lubricant for moving parts. Chain lube is usually thick and will stay on the chain for a while. The way you lube a chain is to put the bike on the center stand with the engine running and the bike in first gear (so the rear wheel is turning slowly - you can do this by hand too it just takes longer) and spray the chain as it rotates around. Get both sides. Once it looks like you have gotten all the chain (use it sparingly as the more you put on the more of a mess you will make), take the bike down and go for a ride. To avoid a greasy mess it is best to check the chain tension and alignment before you grease it up.
Gee, you are the man. The chain is pretty rusted and it squeaks when I ride. Some oil should do the trick.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This place is invaluable.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
quote:
quote:

If the chain is that bad you probably want to save your self the headache and replace the sprockets and chain now. The price is minimal compared to the pain in the ass of a cracked or opened case from snapping a chain.
I was considering that but where would I buy these parts? Its seems almost impossible to find anything for a 200T.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
quote:
quote:

If the chain is that bad you probably want to save your self the headache and replace the sprockets and chain now. The price is minimal compared to the pain in the ass of a cracked or opened case from snapping a chain.
I was considering that but where would I buy these parts? Its seems almost impossible to find anything for a 200T.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
quote:
There are no good salvage yards in NY. I had to go out of state to find a good motorcycle salvage yard.

Honda has the cross reference books as to what models share part numbers, and Parts Unlimited also does that on some aftermarket parts. First find out if the parts are NLA from honda, then go about finding alternatives.

Sprocket specalists lists the cb200 rear aluminum as part number 258 and the front as 5022X, and the chain as a 520.

Sprocket specalists can make you a custom rear sprocket if you have and original to send to them. It costs, but they can do it.

Edited by - Geeto67 on May 06 2006 11:44:49 AM
Thanks GEE, Ill check them out.

I bought Chain wax and lube up the chain and its seems fine. No more squeaking and it wasnt as rusted as I thought it was. Im still planning on changing it.

I also replaced the bulbs in the gauges and its all lit up.

Thanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.