Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ATAS. SV1000S. BMW R 1100 RT, Cafe project
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'day, Mr Bones from Aus here. I'm 38 with zero custom experience but been working on my own bikes for years.
Thought I'd have a lash at a cafe project. Feel free to point out the obvious to me as I probably haven't seen it yet :D
Any way hope you all get a good laugh out my theory's.
I've taken on the task of turning this clean but high mileage BMW R 1100 RT into a cafe racer.

I've no real idea of what I'm doing but that's the fun of it isn't? I'm learning as I go & have already learnt heaps.
Step one take all her clothes off. That's the easy part.

I've got a K tank fitted up. With my seat shroud mock up here.

I've started on foot peg brackets, Leaving myself plenty of metal for adjustment.
foot peg bracket.jpg

And you can see my final seat shroud there. All though it has to be trimmed down loads just to cover the frame rails.

So I'll try to post as often as I can.
Cheers
Bones

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
? What fuel pump are you planning to use, the one in the K100 tank might be quite different, it came from a different era. They run very hot.

... and rubber mount that fuel tank everywhere or you will have long term problems, it's made from aluminum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
? What fuel pump are you planning to use, the one in the K100 tank might be quite different, it came from a different era. They run very hot.

... and rubber mount that fuel tank everywhere or you will have long term problems, it's made from aluminum.
Pumps were the same, the wiring was the same just the plug was different. Same wires, just a round plug vs square plug. I just changed the plug over. I have run it like this and it purred like a kitten. 👍
Rubber mounting is a good suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
G'day mate. That is a very ambitious project. Obviously the stock ugly frame used to be hidden by all that plastic and that's your first challenge - to hide it/disguise it.

Just a quick observation/comment, but it looks like the tank and seat need to move forward quite a bit - like 100mm or more to get the rider's seat where it needs to be. Although you are tall, you still need weight relatively far forward if you want it to handle well. The tank will need to be modified I suspect to pull it forward to where it would be on a brick. That will allow you to move the front of the seat to be above the swingarm pivot or maybe even slightly ahead of that.

Check out custom or race bricks like BSK SpeedWorks - BMW K100 racer , or

That will give you some ideas as to tank position on a brick. Then if you look at say a modern boxer such as the R9T, you should get some styling ideas.

Or look at say Boxer Cup bikes for ideas

Or older boxer cafe racers

Or newer boxers

Play with ideas as to the shape and style you see in your dream and then work out ways to get from where you are to that goal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mate (y)
I have moved the tank back but it would be easy to move it forward.
The problem then is the back behind the seat becomes to long

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
True, but the idea is to stimulate creative juices and think about shapes and styles rather than the execution of that particular bike.

The RT is a big old bus - my son is repairing a 1200RT at the moment - and the frame and parts attached to it are pretty agricultural and not in a good way, so they need to be hidden or disguised to make the plan work. On a conference call this morning so I played with the shapes. Unfortunately the software I normally use won't open that picture, so I went back to the old analog cut and paste. I literally cut the tank out of the printed copy and stuck it forward where it looked better and that allowed me to sketch a simple shorter solo seat with the rear of it in line with the back of the rear wheel.

That worked but leaves a gap between the lower edge of the tank and frame rails, so I added a lower extension and a smaller front tank extension to fill the gap and that works but could make the tank look too large if you're not careful. You could make a simple filler piece (tank extension) out of fiberglass or even metal if you have those skills and that would help it blend better with the frame shape.

You could also extend the tank down to create a lover side panel like a Krauser MKM1000

Or you could fabricate a new frame more like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A8nxF_1p0a4/UBBcBQtZ04I/AAAAAAAAY_M/nPnk14VdcGQ/s1600/krauser+02.jpg That would be a just a little more work with that paralever front end.

I just found this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XwD8sU-rRlM/maxresdefault.jpg

Either way, you will have to be creative with the bodywork to make it look right.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
R1100RT-111142020.jpg

That took about 5 minutes as you can tell. Just a simple way to play with ideas. You could also add a period top half fairing like say a Pantah style which might cover some of the big girl's ugly bits.

And the footpegs need to move a long way forward to work. Style is important, but it must work. Function has to be top of the list or attributes. Try about 50mm back from the swingarm pivot as a place to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Loving the imput guys. Love the observations and idea's .
I moved the tank back to eliminate the gap behind the rear of the seat.
Where I live I can't, am reluctant to cut the frame.
But if I move the tank forward and the seat I could make a rear bump over the back of the seat. This should work.
As for the foot pegs, there are as far forward as I can put them with the tank in it's current position. Due to my lanky legs. But if I move everything forward the pegs can also be moved forward.
I was always planning to create a shroud under the tank and sseat to cover the exposed frame rails. Anyway off to the shed to see what I can come up with.
Thanks again for the input it's much appreciated. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a bit this morning. Used the original speedo. Added a headlight.
Also moved the tank forward about an inch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did a bit this morning. Used the original speedo. Added a headlight.
Also moved the tank forward about an inch.
View attachment 103976

View attachment 103977
For me the tank needs to move a lot further forwards. Visually the weight needs to be up front. I can see that's not easy with the incline to the backbone however.
Maybe this with a bump seat?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts