Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bless me with your Honda knowledge, I don't know much about the SOHC bikes; http://iowacity.craigslist.org/mcy/484590090.html
Looks like a potential money maker to me. What's it worth running? What'll it bring in parts?

I am temporarily lifting my moral opposition to buying a motorcyle for the sole purpose of turning a profit. I justify it as OK if said profit goes toward bikes I'll keep forever. thanks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I hate to say it but that thing looks like it needs to be parted out. It can be saved if you are patient, the biggest problem I see with that bike is the wiring, which on cb750s is a huge pain in the ass, heck you might even have a decent start on a cafe if you can get the wiring sorted. That single disc thing kinda scares me too.

@ $250 you will get that easily for that bike in parts, even though it is missing the two 1978 F big ticket items: the left sidecover and the stock exhaust. It depends on how many miles are on that motor and whether she smokes while running. 78Fs have the big valve heads and the guides tend to wear out right around 30K miles. Still it is the fastest CB750 they made and has the best brakes. In perfect condition during the summer they sell for around $1500, but in the summer even decent runners are worth about $1000.

If it were closer I would buy it for $250, rat bikes like that sell for $500+ around here.

If you do buy it and part it out, I'll give you $50 for that exhaust (+shipping of course), I need a cheap exhaust for a 78F.

Oh, and that seat cushion is awful....really awful.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have had a bunch of these too, and if you want a good winter project, this bike looks like a good candidate. I bet you can talk him down to $150. The '78 SS are a little different, and a little faster than the others. The have the desirable dual front brake w/ read disc, and the undesirable com-star wheels. If you can sort it out, it looks like a good bike to me.

I have a bunch of spare parts for these, so if you get it I maybe could help you get it going.

Good luck!
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have the time, money, and fortitude, go for it. Parts are plentiful including the wiring harness (see parts-n-more web site). I'm on my second year of owning a CB (1977 CB750K) and I'm finding out that working on them is not necessary hard but it does take time, patience, a place to work, and the right tools.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
If you have the time, money, and fortitude, go for it. Parts are plentiful including the wiring harness (see parts-n-more web site). I'm on my second year of owning a CB (1977 CB750K) and I'm finding out that working on them is not necessary hard but it does take time, patience, a place to work, and the right tools.
stay away from the aftermarket wiring harness parts n more and others sell....lots of complaints on it. Original is always better. Don't assume that just because something is reproduced it is a better part than the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts