Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
only if he throws in the costume. but he has to wash it first.

it is a LSA....nice but if I was to get an LSA it would have to be a piper cub, good ol' stick, rudder, and fabric.

this is my favorite part:

quote:You've probably heard about the NTSB's recommendation that all Zodiacs be grounded. The FAA has declined to issue the necessary order, so it's perfectly legal to fly. The NTSB's concern was that the aircraft may be susceptible to aileron flutter, a condition that would cause the ailerons to vibrate themselves off of the wings. The aircraft's designer, Zenair Limited, commissioned a study to look at this problem specifically, from the Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg in Germany. The study showed that flutter is not a problem as long as the aileron cables have any tension on them. AMD issued a mandatory safety bulletin in October 2008 requiring inspection and adjustment of control cable tensions. I complied with it when it was issued, and even though it was not required, I've inspected the cable tensions at every 50 hour check since then - and no adjustment has been needed. I believe the Zodiac XL is safe to fly as long as it's flown conservatively and maintained rigorously. That's how I've treated this airplane.
gimme a rugged ol' C172 anyday.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
only if he throws in the costume. but he has to wash it first.

it is a LSA....nice but if I was to get an LSA it would have to be a piper cub, good ol' stick, rudder, and fabric.

this is my favorite part:

quote:You've probably heard about the NTSB's recommendation that all Zodiacs be grounded. The FAA has declined to issue the necessary order, so it's perfectly legal to fly. The NTSB's concern was that the aircraft may be susceptible to aileron flutter, a condition that would cause the ailerons to vibrate themselves off of the wings. The aircraft's designer, Zenair Limited, commissioned a study to look at this problem specifically, from the Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg in Germany. The study showed that flutter is not a problem as long as the aileron cables have any tension on them. AMD issued a mandatory safety bulletin in October 2008 requiring inspection and adjustment of control cable tensions. I complied with it when it was issued, and even though it was not required, I've inspected the cable tensions at every 50 hour check since then - and no adjustment has been needed. I believe the Zodiac XL is safe to fly as long as it's flown conservatively and maintained rigorously. That's how I've treated this airplane.
gimme a rugged ol' C172 anyday.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yah, but this is a low wing!

though, i could see flutter being an issue.

i love that hes posing next to his plane with the suit on. freakin classic. there is something about the look of the 172.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah, but this is a low wing!

though, i could see flutter being an issue.

i love that hes posing next to his plane with the suit on. freakin classic. there is something about the look of the 172.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I never would have guessed flutter being an issue just from design. The glassair is very similar and it is a much faster and more capable airplane with no flutter issues.

I love low wing airplanes, espically mooneys and comanchees but they are not as rugged as a cessna.

I wonder if he has ever flown it in the tron suit (betcha he has).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I never would have guessed flutter being an issue just from design. The glassair is very similar and it is a much faster and more capable airplane with no flutter issues.

I love low wing airplanes, espically mooneys and comanchees but they are not as rugged as a cessna.

I wonder if he has ever flown it in the tron suit (betcha he has).

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i need to see more pics of the tron suit....closeups, profiles, silhouettes......i need more tron baby!

i got a fever and the only cure is for more tron suits.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i need to see more pics of the tron suit....closeups, profiles, silhouettes......i need more tron baby!

i got a fever and the only cure is for more tron suits.

tex

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Mooneys and Comanchees are both rod actuated controls not cable controlled. I can see where it would be a problem if the cables were not tight

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Mooneys and Comanchees are both rod actuated controls not cable controlled. I can see where it would be a problem if the cables were not tight

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nardi1

you are right but the Glassair is cable controlled and had no issues.

I mentioned Mooneys and pipers as examples of low wings I like, not as airplanes with similar control mechanisims. I mentions glassairs as airplanes with similar control mechanisims.

want a brand new cub? all they lack is the creak and the corrosion of the originals:
http://www.cubcrafters.com/

mmmmmmm...carbon fiber cub.....

http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncub/default.aspx

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nardi1

you are right but the Glassair is cable controlled and had no issues.

I mentioned Mooneys and pipers as examples of low wings I like, not as airplanes with similar control mechanisims. I mentions glassairs as airplanes with similar control mechanisims.

want a brand new cub? all they lack is the creak and the corrosion of the originals:
http://www.cubcrafters.com/

mmmmmmm...carbon fiber cub.....

http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncub/default.aspx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts