Cafe Racer Forum banner

get stoopid

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jbranson 
#1 ·
aright guys, i need tech questions about bikes that would be good for publication. specific or not, for example: "my chain always seems to have a bit of rust on it, and one of my friends suggested using chain wax instead of chain lube, is he onto something and what the heck is the difference?". or: "the brakes on my '98 TL-1000-R always fade, what do i do?".
i need stuff like that, i need inspiration for moto-research. help a brotha out.

Z

#2 ·
Brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug...

Ummm I use brake lube once in a while and I think JD uses the wax, but I couldn't tell what works better but I don't have much of a problem with wear and I use a 9 dollar chain I got off ebay.

Your friend leave his TL outside? If he really is making the brakes fad, and not having moisture or air in the line, then he might want to get some more aggressive pads. I'm assuming that one of your friends probably is making them fad and should get Vintage Brake to do them. He doesn't need to get the full race cause they might not work right off the bat until hot, but get the mild grippy deluxo pads.

Do you need a ride to the banquet, I'll make sure your there on time... really.

Aaron

#5 ·
Zach boy, I need a column for the next ex notes which is in the works. I was gonna email you about this very same question . . . There was something you were discussing a few races ago in a group (I think it was frontierland, it was you, JB, Pete T, and a few others) that I thought would make a great discussion type article. If I could only remember what it was. I know this is "basic", but a while ago there was a discussion about leaning/hanging off. And I could put in some of those neato photos as illustrations. Or to follow up in what was in RR world and you have mentioned above, about SPONSORSHIP and how it works. Let me know.

And JB< those pistons are a work of art. Send me a bill. i went to a printers meeting on Mt Vernon St. in Boston this week. Subject of Harley's came up, So I pulled one of the pistons out of my pocket ( I was rubbing it kind of hard) and man, all of a sudden the subject came to what kind of vintage iron everyone had (NOT HD.) I recommend keeping one of those pistons in your poscket at all times. Might even come in handy with the babes. I like the "this message will self destruct" tag line.

Scott

#8 ·
Here's a tech kwestion for you; "what's the proper set-up for the rear drum brake on my vintage racer?"(this may sound like, or be, a dumb question, but for people used to a rear disc brake, you'll find a rear drum can be a little tricky to set up right)

FR

Edited by - FR on Jan 07 2005 10:52:37 AM

#9 ·
quote:
aright guys, i need tech questions about bikes that would be good for publication.
Ok...
My cousin Jethro has a bike with screw/locknut type valve adjusters and he has to adjust his valves every 4000miles. My cousin's brother's
uncle Jim Bob has a slowmoving cruiser with hydralic valves and never has to adjust them. My sister's father's husband has a bike with shims over buckets and can go 10000miles between adjustments, and I've got a Yamaha 20valve Genesys engine that can go 20000miles. Whats the difference and why the milage difference.

#10 ·
Why does my battery keep going dead?
How do I adjust the tension on my spokes?
Less filling...great taste?
Should I use radial or bias ply tires?
What exactly is spring rate?
How does tire pressure effect my life?

Scott, don't drop those pistons.

Champ,
Dave Roper looks goofy too....and he goes pretty good.

JohnnyB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.