Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i'm JB and i lurk.

got Hurricane front end for the FT500 P.I.T.A. project but they have a slight bend. very slight. so slight that i'm thinking about ways to straighten them out and keep these tubes. these tubes are hard to come by due to the slot for the clipons. got a trick to get straight?

or should i try:

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
did you see the pics of kens ascot with the hurricane front end??

its in the vintage race section under what should i race.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
i straightened a set of forks on an ex-250 with my 12 ton shop press and 2 2x4's. i cut square grooves in the wood to accomdate the fork tube. i didnt even have to use heat, i just left the tubes in the press for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Its real difficult to do modern forks because the tubing is so thin it tends to collapse.
I'd try and straighten them but be prepared to buy new inner tubes if it screws up.
They need complete disassembly or you could bend the outers instead

PJ

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
They will straighten with no problem, if you are easy on them. I had the forks straightened on my FZ600 at he local machine shop in about 10 min, $30. They were bent near the lower triple clamp, so I didn't even have to dissassemble them. If they are kinked or creased at all, do not straighten or use them as they can crack in half at the stress point and cause you to crash and die. I mean it, don't do it.

My Ascot has the stock forks and a Hurricane wheel with a single disk from a Shadow on it, since I want it to be Superstock legal. But the CBR front end bolts on pretty easily.

Ken

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Ken, maybe you got lucky but don't assume all are the same.
You don't know where the lower pivot point was as the forks compress when they hit something. Just because they go up and down doesn't mean they are right.
I've done thousands of forks over the years and prefer to do it properly, some just can be fixed and some peoples definition of 'slight bend' is different to others
There is an awful lot of really dodgy stuff being done, some of it downright dangerous.
I did motorcycle inspections in Britain for several years, it amazes me how blase people are about their safety, including those racing. Have you ever looked at FIM regulations?

PJ

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Ken, maybe you got lucky but don't assume all are the same.
You don't know where the lower pivot point was as the forks compress when they hit something. Just because they go up and down doesn't mean they are right.
I've done thousands of forks over the years and prefer to do it properly, some just can be fixed and some peoples definition of 'slight bend' is different to others
There is an awful lot of really dodgy stuff being done, some of it downright dangerous.
I did motorcycle inspections in Britain for several years, it amazes me how blase people are about their safety, including those racing. Have you ever looked at FIM regulations?

PJ

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
PJ,
I am not disagreeing with you as I have also straightened a multitude of bent forks in shops and dealerships. Luck doesn't really have much to do with it. Experience and skill are what it takes. I knew that my forks were only slightly bent and where the bend was. I also knew that since I don't have access to a press to do it myself, I needed to go to a machine shop that knew how to use their equipment. So, if you know what you are doing or know a shop that does, then many fork tubes can be straightened, but it is not something to be risked if they are questionable at all.

Ken

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
PJ,
I am not disagreeing with you as I have also straightened a multitude of bent forks in shops and dealerships. Luck doesn't really have much to do with it. Experience and skill are what it takes. I knew that my forks were only slightly bent and where the bend was. I also knew that since I don't have access to a press to do it myself, I needed to go to a machine shop that knew how to use their equipment. So, if you know what you are doing or know a shop that does, then many fork tubes can be straightened, but it is not something to be risked if they are questionable at all.

Ken

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and you bet your sweet little butt i will be taking these bad boys apart to do any work to them. the springs are decent so i might keep them but seals, bearings, oil, paint, etc. will be new.

i already got the new rotors, lever, will get new lines and rebuild the master cylinder. wheel bearings and tires will obviously be new too.

anyone got a spare wiring harness for an FT500?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
JB,
Those look like they will straighten ok. They would need to come apart to go in the press anyway based on where the bends are. As far as a wiring harness goes, contact Blackwidow on here. He has a bunch af Ascot parts.

Ken

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Yeah, they should be pretty easy to get to 0.001" or better
I see right bar is bent as well.
PJ

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, as you see, it's not that bad..... now, anyone know of somewhere close to Bawlmer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts