Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K,
sorry for the stupid noob question.
I'm having the durndest time getting new new bolton style grip down that last inch on the throttle tube thet goes over the handle bar. I've tried Palmolive and teflon spray. The telfon got me the furthest. I sprayed both tube and grip and dee fooker wouldn't budge with just a wee bit left to go. It's very fustrating.

I had an idea which was to take a thicker peice of piano wire, cut it into 4-6 sections and slide them into the grip, then slide the throttle tube in using the piano wire as a wedger to keep the grip open. Unless you've got a better idear thets what i'm gonna do next.

BTW i searched for "grip" and "install" and all i got was geezers calling guys with clubmans light in the loafers.

Thanks in advancer.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Occasionally I have used compressed air to "float" the grip down the neck. You shoot the air into the throttle tube and it hits the back of the grip and comes back around the sides. YOu have to have a hand on it because there is a good chance the grip may go flying off.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i am keeping the helpful, correct answers away from people who don't fill out their bios!

tex

·
Registered
178 Posts
ive used dawn dish detergent and water. worked fine.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
OK everybody else that answered is either wrong or stupid or both. Except for Texy cause he wouldn't even answer. The only way to install all new grips is to use contact/brake cleaner. Spray a good shot into the grip and then hold you hand over both ends if they are open and actually shake the grip to completely distribute the pray around the inside. Then quickly slide the grip on while twisting it on the bar or throttle tube to settle it in. Wait until the contact evaporates and the grip will be kinda glued into place.
I have used this on hundreds of grips and it has worked every time. I really mean it. I also use this stuff to remove old grips by sliding a very thin phillips screwdriver between the bar and grip then sliding the straw of the contact cleaner can in next to the screwdriver and spraying. Move the grip and driver around until the grip comes loose and slides right off.
Actually I have used compressed air too and it does work.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
569 Posts
lacquer thinner

dch

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I use my wife's hairspray. You just have to be quick before it drys.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This is the greatest. I can insult everybody and still end up feeling good about myself as people agree with me. I love mangoes. I make a great grilled salmon with mango salsa.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contact brake cleaner? I've dissolved latex gloves off my hands using that stuff.

To clean brakes.

I'll try to post pics of my mounting method.

For grips.

Oh, i hope this part doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second the hairspray idea.

When I was a bicycle mechanic I must have put on thousands of those things. I had tried air but sometimes the grip will get stuck and then it will balloon out and you have ruined your grip. We used hairspray, the cheaper the more effective (less perfumes, etc.) to install grips. We´d just spray a massive amount in the grip and shove it on. Be sure your grips have a small hole in the end. As, you slide one on, and then when you shove on the opposite side the first one pops off!

eb

1972 HONDA CB350
1974 HONDA CB450 DOHC

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey geeto; jamaica the island, not in queens.

contact cleaner works with most grips but may dissolve certain types depending on the compound they use. my personal grip-installing method is 3M weatherstrip cement; one stripe down the handlebar surface and a liberal amount around the frst 1/2" of the inside of the grip, then push and twist until grip is seated.work fast, this stuff is not easily backed off once you start pushing forward! on the throttle side, use tape around the throttle tube to keep the cement from squeezing between it and the h'bar. let dry a few hours and you're set to go.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Registered
66 Posts
you can get mangoes in queens county! and coconuts even! and there's bound to be not just a few jamaicans there too!

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
try mango salsa on the bar and in the grip. then use the compressed air. wear goggles too.
parks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts