Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here it is. im getting really annoyed with my 73' cb175 because im putting so much time into this thing and cannot figure it out. I cleaned the carbs sent my tank to get cleaned and sealed, and replaced all of the fuel lines and replaced the plugs. get it all put together and its running like there isnt enough gas (it will sputter until i slam the choke shut and then it goes like a bat out of hell but when i put the clutch in it revs at high rpms) so i replace the in line fuel filters and clean the carbs again. now when i start it, it will rev up to 7000rpm right away and i have to shut it down. i know i have the slides in correctly and im all out of ideas. if there any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. thank you

·
Registered
266 Posts
sounds like a vacume leak. Check the plugs, make sure the carbs are adjusted properly and synced up the best you can. There is more but I am too tired at teh moment to get into much detail.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hey it can be tedious sometimes. Just pretend you are a surgeon working on a patient.

How about a little history on the bike. How old, how long has it been sitting, when's that last time it ran etc.

There's cleaning carbs and then cleaning carbs. If it's been sitting a long time, might as well get carb kits for it...cause the slow speed jets are going to be clogged. Many of the passages are damn near microscopic. Set the idle air mixture screw according the service manual. Probably about 3/4 to 1 1/4 turns out from seated. Then lower the idle speed screws until the slides are seated...then adjust until the slides just barely come off their seats. That should get you close to a decent idle.

If it's racing now...it's probably because one of the throttle cable casings is hung up on the adjuster nut on top of the carb. Look in the carbs to see if one of the slides is higher than the other. Also...when you do try to get it to idle (assuming it's not a race bike) do it with the filters installed.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
602 Posts
Stock carbs or something else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im running the stock carbs right now. today im going to look to see if the slides are hung up at all and make sure that they are seated properly. ive made some changes to the bike like straight pipes and cone filters. would it be possible that i need to change the jet to a different size?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
It's possible you might need to change jets at some time to get it running the way you like on the road.
You should NOT need to change jets to get it started and idling properly.
Again, some history on the bike would help us help you. If the bike has been sitting for a few years, not running...the I promise you will need carb kits and the bike will NOT run right until the slow speed jets are either perfectly cleaned or replaced.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i took the slides out again and made sure that they were properly seated in the carb, and she started purring like a kitten. it was the best sound ive ever heard come out of that bike (granted it was a lil loud with the staight pipes) but i was so excited to finally ride it around. i got about 8 miles down the road and another problem. im not getting gas to the carbs. but thats an easy fix, i know that the bottom of the tank it clogged with a little sealer so im going to clean that out soon. my only real problem right now is the top speed. i can only run it up to 60mph or so. any ideas to make it faster would be appreciated. thanks for your help so far on my project.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'd guess those straight pipes are not ideal for stock carb tuning, and if you are running pod filters that won't help. You'll have to re-jet to get up to speed. Don't expect more than about 70-75mph, flat out on a level rode hugging the gas tank.
You've just begun the journey.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
602 Posts
quote:any ideas to make it faster would be appreciated.
How about a steep hill and a tail wind.:D
For now I'd concentrate on getting it running and riding nice, enjoy the bike for a while, then worry about going faster, it is only a 175 after all. ;)
You want more speed, then get a bigger displacement[:p]. It's a nice looking bike, have fun for a while first.
2 cents.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
you are probably lean with the exhaust and pods. up the main jets and see how that does. if you are lean, you will feel some missing and popping when you give it full throttle. it won't feel real smooth. 75mph would be about all that thing should do. but its fun right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well heres a photo of it almost done. i will show you some before pics when i can get them off of my computer. i wanted my bike done so bad that i forgot to clean and set the points. so ive got that done and my bike is definitly running alot smoother but i havent taken it out for a run yet. i will definitly keep everyone posted on the progress i appreciate the help and tips that this website and all the users have given me. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts