Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The parts bike rear rim looks like it was rear-ended by a car. Could explain the missing parts.

That manual should work for now. I want to get a print manual at some point.

I am starting to like this thing. It has braided lines but the front seems too short for normal bars or is missing the hard line at the caliper. I might be tempted to keep this but think I would want to get some SUMO rims and modern rubber. The skinny Avons makes me nervous!

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Time was when the local Yamaha dealer had RD model bikes lined up right next to the TZ model bikes which sold for twice the price. Smart people bought the TZ' because now they would be like gold unicorns.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think i hit the last box found 2 gauge clusters a perfect one with around 17000 miles and a rough one with around 11000 miles. Bonus in that box was a Clymer manual, Vesrah gasket kit, and new unused hoses. Still might get new hose as I have no idea how old this stuff is.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Clymer have a compression for it? or did they just copy the OEM manual lol

It's mid late 1970's the heyday of motorcycles.
RD was the poor mans crotchrocket, they wiggle and wheelie and have brakes like leather but when you twist the throttle and lay down a smoke screen they really traveled.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Clymer have a compression for it? or did they just copy the OEM manual lol

It's mid late 1970's the heyday of motorcycles.
They don't give a specific reading but state example ranges from 95psi to 130psi. The importance being the difference between the readings over time/miles on a hot engine.
Book Publication Font Material property Paper

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
It's the kind of engine that is so easy to pull the top end off and actually check the parts, other then the bottom end seals, and those might be toast considering the age of the rubber.
How rusty is everything that you don't want to show it, are we talking barn find under a 3 foot pile of racoon poop bad? I'm still not saying a price until I see it :LOL:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It's the kind of engine that is so easy to pull the top end off and actually check the parts, other then the bottom end seals, and those might be toast considering the age of the rubber.
How rusty is everything that you don't want to show it, are we talking barn find under a 3 foot pile of racoon poop bad? I'm still not saying a price until I see it :LOL:
It's Dusty and in a tight spot in storage. Metal dust so I want to be cautious cleaning when I get to it. Turns out it's a 76 the parts are from a blue tank I suspect 77 or 78 but have not verified that. That one is rusty as it was salvaged from sitting out in an open field for years.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Now if you can just make it look like this and run great you will really have something both cool and scary there :cool:

says it sold for 11 grand in auction
... I would change the grips, those don't look stock original or comfortable for my use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ya if you add his labour he probably sunk near 10 grand into it to make it sell for 11, that's why the used parts in a box are only worth about a grand.

More and more I think make it run and use it. Chambers and reed cages and I bet it goes. Put the worse tank and seat on it. Best if I had some funky looking chambers too. Shave the worse seat and do a cheap cover.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts