Cafe Racer Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Heck no, if that was true then I would never ride a brand new one, I'm not smart enough to do that, I ride em.
Heck no, if that was true then I would never ride a brand new one, I'm not smart enough to do that, I ride em.
If I park my KTM or Aprilia in Downtown Buffalo they get too much attention from the wrong crowd. I am not discussing how they are ridden. The eye for the law and safety is the only mitigating factor on the wrist flexation.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
What motorcycle could you safely park in downtown Buffalo without worrying about it being stolen? :unsure:
Maybe if it was engulfed in flames or highly electrified nobody would try to thieve it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What motorcycle could you safely park in downtown Buffalo without worrying about it being stolen? :unsure:
Maybe if it was engulfed in flames or highly electrified nobody would try to thieve it.
It would have to be a flaming turd. Oddly my VFR never seemed to get the same attention. But it did get backed over by a van. Could have been poor staging for the loading. About 6k from their insurance as they were spotted and reported.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Dug through the crumpled news paper and found the reed cages and carb boot/manifolds. Research so far says get some yz85 reeds and trim to fit for best low to mid power or upgrade to the yz85 cages. That adding 10mm spacers with a crossover should help for road use. .

Any experience with Higgspeed classics? I "lol" think i like the sound best from youtub tests + they look slick!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Dug through the crumpled news paper and found the reed cages and carb boot/manifolds. Research so far says get some yz85 reeds and trim to fit for best low to mid power or upgrade to the yz85 cages. That adding 10mm spacers with a crossover should help for road use. .

Any experience with Higgspeed classics? I "lol" think i like the sound best from youtub tests + they look slick!

View attachment 107057
the ones i had where nice
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Looking at the chassis today I checked the brakes. The rear stuck on, locked tight! Plunger in the master got stuck in goop created by the hose from the reservoir melting from the inside out. Pulling everything apart and cleaning the goop out everything looked great. I re-gooped with sil-glyde and everything now moves like new. I still need to replace the suspect hose and reseal the system.

Front brake seems to work but has quite the wooden feel. I am guessing that is normal as it locks and releases normally. I will cycle new fluid through both when I get that hose.

edit: I need to drain the front anyhow and place in a replacement for the hard line as it seems the braided line on the bike is too short.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I gave up riding new bikes years ago, some were so 'nice' I wanted one.
The only one I regret not getting was original 951 Ducati in 1995, but, it would probably have killed me as it was way to easy to ride around at 130+mph on two lane backroads

View attachment 107057
Never was too impressed with Boysen reeds, great to increase mid range but not top end in my experience.
Modified RD or YZ85 reed blocks are the way to go though.
I found if you open them up and profile the 'inner' crossbar to a neutral 'wing'/airfoil shape the flow increases dramatically
Only after seeing picture of the blue RD250 did I remember a friend raced almost identical RD400 in production class. (there wasn't a lot of visual difference in Britain between 250 and 400)
He fitted TZ pipes and carbs and kept the stock bars.
I only test rode it once, it was still road registered at the time.
Actually felt pretty 'tame', until I noticed the shadow as I passed between some buildings.
Front wheel was at least 18 inches off the ground and I hadn't even noticed for probably quarter mile (until I tried to steer, although it did get around curves on one wheel about the same as stock)

Reactions: TrialsRider
41 - 52 of 52 Posts