Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the Moto Giro article in Roadbike magazine? I didn't realize it was in so soon and hope I can get a copy.

If you did see it, were there any pics of me and my bike--black honda CA160, rider with a red and white Ducati Jacket, or Jen D on my Ducati 160?? I just hope for my 15 min. of fame....

Just curious.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you did see it, were there any pics of me..<no>.. and my bike--black honda CA160..<no>..., rider with a red and white Ducati Jacket, or Jen D...<yes>... on my Ducati 160??...<no>... I just hope for my 15 min. of fame....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I finally saw it!!
So much fun
I only made it in there thanks to both of you guys!

Looks like my college friends has decided to get married on the same weekend as the Giro
Shouldnt she have consulted with me first?!
I am going to miss tearing around the hills with y'all
but it turns out the old back isnt ready anyway-
kind of a bummer to realize the hard cold facts about that one
: (
Thanks for the heads up on the article Dale
Jack I still owe you pics for your wall of fame
I didnt forget

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
jen, did you contact george decamp that you are cancelling? there is a large waiting list of folks that want to participate.

you wil be missed!!

JS

·
Registered
569 Posts
...and get some money back.....

d.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I should do that
I have not been wanting to admit the reality of it
but its time to face the Music.
Gosh Darn it!
I know there is a long waiting list
so I will be helping some lucky bugger get their dream of riding the Giro this time.

Take pics and Breathe some 2 smoke for me
Yours in sad absentia
Jen

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy Jen, and I finally seemed to have gotten the "wiggle" out of the Duc... it is amazing what a new set of steering head bearings will do.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
Boy Jen, and I finally seemed to have gotten the "wiggle" out of the Duc... it is amazing what a new set of steering head bearings will do.
Jack - not to hijack the thread, but what kind of "wiggle" did you have in the Duc? My BMW has picked up an annoying habit of potential tank slapping oscilation when I engine brake....or run in a certain RPM range. I contribute it to the "shake" of the aftermarket peashooter exhaust... I don't want to just slap a damper on it, because that masks the problem and does not fix it. I was told by someone it could be an unbalanced front tire or bad tread wear.. The bearing seems okay at rest. Meaning, on the center stand there is no front to back give in the stearing and the forks slowly fall to the side (which is what the BMW manual says it is suppose to do). Hummmm......

You heading up to Granite state?
Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Aug 23 2007 11:31:10 AM

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
All the things you mentioned, plus check your swingarm adjustment for slop. I'd fit a steering dampner if you don't at least have the stock one on there. Maybe in ideal mechanical conditions you shouldn't need it, but there's a good reason why the factory installed one.
My buddies R100CS would develop a wobble above 75 mph. We finally pin-pointed the problem to a missing rear shock bushing.

Good luck

Jeff

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Pete
off throttle head shake on your bike is usually steering head bearings/adjustment. Too tight or loose, but also make sure it's not a brinelling (sp?) issue.
bfd

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Okay, thanks JAM and BFD. I do have aftermarket Progressive rear shocks on it. Busihings are fine. I will check the swing arm and stearing head tightness this evening.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Aug 23 2007 1:31:48 PM

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a couple friends with older BMW's, and they say a "death shake" at around 40mmh is common and fixable via new steering head bearings.

PeteN has some experience with these.

On my duc, the steering was very heavy, and the bike seemed like it always wanted to just Flop over to the left. At speed it would weave a bit. Very disconcerning. I had no back to front movement, but when I took the forks off, the majority of the bottom bearings were broken in half. Replaced the bearings, with Champs excellent advice, and it was like a new bike.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I used to be in the habit of buzzing my dad while we were out touring on our BMW airheads. I'd lay back unsuspecting like, wait for a good opportunity than I'd roll on it, blasting by him a couple feet away, closing speed about 50 mph+ (EPCO pea shooters are not quiet BTW). It was always best when pulled off while he was not paying attention. He'd do the same to me occasionally so it was considered good clean fun between us when conditions permitted. Well this one time up in Canada (near Trenton, ON) I buzzed him,layed down on the tank, flat out on my R100 good for at least 120 mph. Got a death wobble that just about qualified as a tank slapper/seat pincher, and just about crashed in front of him. Just slowly backed off the throttle and it came out of it. Never thought a crash was so eminient before and didn't. Anyways, I think my problem was due to irregular front tire wear. Never found any problem with adjustments either. I don't buzz him like that anymore as I don't think it's good for either of our hearts.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts