Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I heard that Kerry crashed (she's OK), and also another guy went head on into a truck on the way down the mountain, broken arm and teeth etc. I got this from Larry Not nicky who was volunteering. wow.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
evil, 1st off the rider was at fault riding around a corner on a dirt road on the wrong side. it was a honda car not a truck. parks,will and i came upon the crash just after it happened.

EXCELLENT giro so far. nice roads and great directions. Mt Equinox was a blast. everybody made it up and down with ZERO issues. Didnt hear one complaint. No blown engines and brakes worked just fine. It was cool as me, parks,fred,will and roper had a no engine running race on the way down!!! to cool and tons of fun!!

Oh yea, stunning weather to boot!!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
and most excellent it has been. team taco "b" (champy, will, and i) have been on a kinder, gentler pace than the "a" team (including phill turkinton and dave trudeau). the views have been stunning. and mt. equinox was spectacular. i guess you could call it a saturday picnic, not a horror show of smoking motors and brakes. in fact the only smoking brakes we saw were those on a jeep ferrying giro volunteers back down to the base. all riders and machines were more than up to the previously feared task. and returning down without motors running was a maximum hoot.
-parks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I want to know the 50's that made it to the top, so I can personally give them congrats..... so who were they?
JohnnyB

·
Registered
569 Posts
I know Doug B. made it up on his s-65, and someone on a Suzuki 50, don't know who he was...the mountain was a hoot, and really presented no problems or complaints, and today the 'chair lift repair road' at Okemo, with a check at the top, another hoot!!!! TeamBMW won the team award, there were 5 teams, Guzzi, BSA, BMW, Honda, I forget the other one, no, it wasn't Taco, somebody ask why.........seems like the management is finally catching on that teams are a good thing...

best lesson learned - don't drag race a fresh Bultaco 175 with a 160, you'll lose.

best advise - stay right

cutest couple - Champ and his Mecurio

nicest team shirts - 'Team Bultaco'...oh wait, there was no Team Bultaco

best quote - I've got two cupcakes left here, two cupcakes... - Jerseygirl

best Oh $hit - for me, downhill, lefthander, 'sign -STOP Ahead', about 3 feet later, STOP sign...OH $hit...and who's right across the road, on a smoke break, the taco boys...'hey nice save rookie, your pants still clean..., boy were your eyes big..;))' they couldn't see my eyes, I was wearing sunglasses...so there.

all in all, great weather, great venue, great roads, great views, great lunches...yada, yada..

was a good time, except for the few crashes and the unfortunate bad crash...

congrats to the winners, at least two Caferacer.net folks took home 1st's...125 and 305.....but I'll let them chime in.

dch.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
too many thoughts to condense into a trim post but not many things better than to ride a great old bike in perfect fall weather on super roads with some of my best friends.
-parks

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Dag, Leo I thought you were a lock. I fugured you would be pounding beers at FR's bonfire single track throw down basking in the afterglow. damn
pour yourself another, cheers
bcr

·
Registered
569 Posts
yep, I'm sure, nope, no TeamTaco...I think the 5th team was TeamAermacchi/Harley..yep, at least 7 taco's there, Champ, Parks, Will, Dave Trudo, Turk, Midge, and one from CT...all finished as far as I know...Champ's and Will's new Mecurio's are really, really nice, great job to both guys.. and fast.

nope, no TeamTaco....I'm lovin' this, I really am..

dch.

·
Registered
569 Posts
funny, I think I was standing right next to you when Bob announced 2ed team Honda, which was all 160's btw...and let's see 1st, 2ed, and 3rd overall..what were they riding again, help me out here Parks...

d.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'm gonna go out on a limb here dale and say that they were probably riding hondas?

(does X get the square?)

texy

·
Registered
450 Posts
It was definitely interesting experiencing the Giro on the volunteer side of things. It takes a lot of work to put that on and all the volunteers go above and beyond sacrificing brakes and gas to help out.

I had an unfortunate meeting with a rock. It sucked, but I kept on going until mechanical problems had me out about 20 miles later. I have quite the bruise now. Luckily shorts season is over.

Everyone did really well. There were some funny moments....Frank C doing the 18.5 second agility test in under 6 seconds. Mr Beth making it though the agility test only to drop the bike at the end. The venue was nice, and the staff were much friendlier than last year.

Beautiful weather, great friends....definitely an awesome weekend!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes; it was a GREAT weekend overall (other than that bad crash). That guy was banged up pretty badly; and I heard he was wearing an open face helmet with no chin protection. That gravel road section was a challenge for many and there were other falls. I think having off pavement riding experience in similar conditions (or rougher) probably helped. Staying in control helped too!

From the Dream perspective; I think there were 5 of them overall, plus two CB77s and a bunch of "baby Dreams" - 150's, 160's and 175 CA models. As far as I know; none had mechanical issues which prevented them finishing.

I took a bunch of pix which I hope to post later this week. I did however, miss one great photo op when J. Braun fell right at the end of the very last ability test, blowing his first place lead in the 305 class. He finished 3rd, I finished second and another guy finished first.

Bob and the rest of the volunteers did a great job on this event. Thanks to all!

Beth

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dale, let's see now, they had some of the nicest bikes
the bestest t-shirts, and when Champ bent over to ckeck
his tire pressure- I could swear I saw Team Taco underpants.
Your saying there was no team Bultaco? Joe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts