Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750 / 2000 Triumph Daytona 955i
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER YOU CAN SKIP So my first post with this forum didn't go as planned. I get it, this site probably does get a bunch of "loons" with grand ideas that will never get executed and want to fight everyone who disagrees with them. I totally get it. And my post was exceptionally strange. My goal was to bench talk about an idea Ive had and have conversations with knowledgeable people about technical roadblocks I'd run into... right away I got replies about what I should do instead, and its doomed from the start.. I found it very frustrating and may have made myself look like a prick in how I responded. Maybe I didn't need to come out swinging like that. After all I'm new here... So I figured I could make a post in General and actually ASK for people's opinions 🙃 and hope it leaves my other post about TECHNICAL stuff. That would be nice! **

---------------------------——————----------------------

I am trying to figure out what I should do with my bikes. I had a few ideas. I have 2 bikes that need some love! A 2000 Triumph Daytona 955i and a 1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750. What would you guys do with these bikes?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

The Nighthawk needs the forks rebuilt, new rear shocks, and the motor needs an overhaul. Couple broken exhaust studs as well. The bike has about 80,000 miles on it. It currently is my main commuter (not my only commuter, just the most fun) even with all the problems I love riding it. I bought it from a tow yard for $20... It needed a battery, tires, chain and sprocket, and chain.... I've been riding it like I stole it ever since

I just bought the Daytona. When I bought it I was told it's complete. It was taken apart for paint and then the owner left for the army and the family sold the bike to me for $300. Now I cant get ahold of the family for the rest of the parts. It's missing the fuel tank, fuel pump, seat, and all the fairings. I got it idle and snap the throttle 2 times with just brake cleaner. MAN she sounds good... honestly don't know how it ran as good as it did with just brake cleaner in the intake. Every vacuum line is disintegrating. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying. My 93 honda vacuum lines aren't even cracked. And the previous owner hopped a curb so I have to get the front rim repaired. It's not all that bad. Anyway I still hold out hope that one day I'll be able to get the original parts from those people it but it's anyone's guess when or if I'll ever see them

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Seems to me that if you can come up with the parts for the Daytona, the best result would be to put it together to what it should be.

Look at it. Everything about that bike will give you better performance than sticking the motor into the Honda.

If you do attempt to transplant the motor, you may run into issues because the mounts on the Triumph motor are positioned differently because
the motor is part of the frame.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
[QUOTE="ChickenCoupe, post: 651846, member: 31193". What would you guys do with these bikes?[/QUOTE] get a nice running 955 and use your bike as a parts bike, the honda? it would be time to let it go, 80k miles and how much $$$ to get it running nice? parts bike too

·
Administrator
401 Posts
I am fairly sure it is a lot less effort to find the Triumph parts to fit the Triumph than it is to find the Triumph parts to fit the Honda.

Both bikes are great platforms to serve the purpose they were created for. In my opinion you should complete the Triumph. Keep the Honda too if you want but it is a source of revenue for Triumph parts. I know you have said you have hit road blocks finding Triumph stuff but they are out there. I found original OEM headers and dual exhausts for an '89 GSXR 1100 and they literally don't exist. Keep at it and you will find your stuff.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I know you have said you have hit road blocks finding Triumph stuff but they are out there.
i just did a quick search , and i mean quick , less then 30 sec, i was able to locate new body work for all 595/955 models, it wasnt hard. carry on

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
sweet fancy moses, mother of god, i also did a quick ebay search , fuel cell, fuel pumps and seats galore, like my pop used to say “if they had teeth they’d fucking bit you”

·
Administrator
401 Posts
sweet fancy moses, mother of god, i also did a quick ebay search , fuel cell, fuel pumps and seats galore, like my pop used to say “if they had teeth they’d fucking bit you”
I gotta say - after you guys stopped swearing (which I REALLY give you credit for Thank you) you have come up with the best sayings ever. Sweet Fancy Moses! I am using that for sure.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I would sell that Honda to the first kid that showed up with some amount of cash. It is fairly useless as a project bike, performance bike and you already said you had something else to ride to work on. Or donate it for the tax right off. Its just junk. If all you want to do is get your hands dirty, find a free weedwaker on CL and take that apart.

The Triumph could be cool. They have good motors, handle well stock and have legit performance support in the aftermarket. We are trying to make a bike that functions better then stock....right? Not just be a dude playing dress up?

BETTER IDEA.
Sell both piles, drive for Uber a couple of weekends, mow some lawns, return some beer cans and day trade some LiteCoin.......and when you have saved enough money....buy this.

At the end of the day, even at $300 that base you have is not the most economical thing to mess with.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I found everything pretty quickly too.

I think once he gets his Tenere and starts rumping on it he'll forget about all this nonsense

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
It may be coincidence that the missing parts are easiest to sell and that you can't get a hold of the seller .

Finding a decent price tank may take time. The bolt on tail clip makes it easy to change the seating shape/style. Fairing brackets to work off. A Seeley style tribute might work. The highboy tank was similar to a modern one, full fairing hides the rad and piping, tail structures easy.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
760 Posts
Buy parts for the Daytona and bin off the CB, when it's ready. Or sell both and buy something that's relatively decent.

If you've enjoyed a shitty, knackered CB750, a decent sports or even naked bike will be enough for you to do everything for now. Do and learn about as much maintenance as you can and ride. When you start to get to the edges of the Daytona or new bike, look for parts that make it better, forget looks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts