So many squirrels lol

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Some interesting stats relating to the original topic:

66% of traffic fatalities are caused by aggressive driving.
37% of aggressive driving incidents involve a firearm.
are you telling me that quarter of traffic fatalies involve a firearm? (0.66*0.37= ~.25)
That has to be bogus. It would mean that 7,500 traffic fatalities per year involve a firearm. Over twenty a day...

though - pretty astonishing that drunk driving accounts for third of fatalities. Its a prime example of how penalties are pretty bad deterrents. USA has very harsh consequences for drunk driving yet I know several people who have gotten a DUI. .... just checked the numbers back here in Finland. Here its one fifth - much higher than I thought here too.

U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Decline in Traffic Fatalities in 2013 | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

And the cops in the US have a problem. And its not about the good cop, bad cop - its an institutional issues. Having lived in LA its one thing I really really don't miss - having to be nervous about cops even if I am white and not doing anything wrong. ANd btw. 1 in 10 being bad is a HUGE problem.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
agreed, but keep in mind not all opportunities are equally available to all people.
meh, that sounds like a cop out.
but at the end of the day not everyone can "win"

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
meh, that sounds like a cop out.
but at the end of the day not everyone can "win"
It isn't a cop out, it's just the way things are. Fair is a subjective and abstract concept, as is "equal".

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
"87% of the statistics quoted on the internet are flawed, and the other 23% are simply made up"
-Abraham Lincoln
Lol! Im sure that those stats are padded a bit. But some of it honestly would not be outside of the realm of plausibility.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
are you telling me that quarter of traffic fatalies involve a firearm? (0.66*0.37= ~.25)
That has to be bogus. It would mean that 7,500 traffic fatalities per year involve a firearm. Over twenty a day...

though - pretty astonishing that drunk driving accounts for third of fatalities. Its a prime example of how penalties are pretty bad deterrents. USA has very harsh consequences for drunk driving yet I know several people who have gotten a DUI. .... just checked the numbers back here in Finland. Here its one fifth - much higher than I thought here too.

U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Decline in Traffic Fatalities in 2013 | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

And the cops in the US have a problem. And its not about the good cop, bad cop - its an institutional issues. Having lived in LA its one thing I really really don't miss - having to be nervous about cops even if I am white and not doing anything wrong. ANd btw. 1 in 10 being bad is a HUGE problem.
I think the stat is saying that of the 66% of fatalities cause by aggressive driving, 37% of that involved guns. Then we need to take into consideration what they mean by "involved", maybe the person had a hunting rifle in the truck, so there was a gun in the vehicle, but not really involved. People like to manipulate stats to feed their agenda so who knows.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I think the stat is saying that of the 66% of fatalities cause by aggressive driving, 37% of that involved guns.
... which would mean one quarter of traffic fatalities involve guns. 37% of 66% is 24.42%, which is what kerosene was saying. That's not made up, it's math.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
... which would mean one quarter of traffic fatalities involve guns. 37% of 66% is 24.42%, which is what kerosene was saying. That's not made up, it's math.
So i misread what he was saying. As i stated, the stat is probably padded, but also it depends on what they mean by involved. I mean I used to have a Brittany Spears poster in my room when I was a teenager, I could go around saying I was involved with her, but it doesn't make it true. That is why I wondered if they were considering a gun in the proximity as involved. the Media likes to play it fast and loose with stats ya know.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If 1 in 10 police officers are bad then that's 1000 of the 10k in the City of L.A. Way too many and I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I learned a long time ago that my thinking of the court always siding with the cops was flawed. The Judge knows the cops will lie and cheat to get a conviction as much as the defendant lying and cheating to beat the charge. After learning this I had a different attitude in court and usually won my cases, which were more often than I wanted (cases, not wins) :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Our legal system as a whole is flawed beyond belief. I get tired of the courts favoring one side over the other in any case, it is supposed to be a neutral system and go based on the facts and evidence. I have seen to many people get screwed over. For instance, my brother in law who got drunk with some friend one night and tagged a rock. Turns out that rock had some native hieroglyphs one it and they all got busted. There were 3 people involved, the first two drank and smoked pot even though the court had ordered them not to, they ended up getting little more than a slap on the wrist . My brother in law followed all the rules, even went out of his way to make sure he had a job so that he could show the court he was a straightened out guy. He got screwed because the judge simply did not like him, he got 6 months in prison, and they put him in a cell block full of native inmates. Lucky for him he came out alive and better off, he now has 2 jobs and bought a single wide. His two cohorts are still in and out of trouble all the time. He followed the rules and still got screwed

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
without knowing anything about your BIL, and being somewhat of a judgmental prick, it doesn't sound like a judge not liking him is the reason he got screwed. If you are really trying to "reform" sometimes that means elevating the company you keep so they don't drag you back down. Many people don't realize this that things you don't change can work against you.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
without knowing anything about your BIL, and being somewhat of a judgmental prick, it doesn't sound like a judge not liking him is the reason he got screwed. If you are really trying to "reform" sometimes that means elevating the company you keep so they don't drag you back down. Many people don't realize this that things you don't change can work against you.
I agree 100%. He does not associate with those guys anymore. The frustrating part for the family was that the other guys got community service and he got jail time. Although in his case it did him good. it was enough time for him to see that the path he was on was not a good path. I also am judgmental, I think it has to do with being a Scorpio and an ENT-J personality type. I'm not saying that my brother in law didnt deserve it, simply that the penalty's were not equal among all 3 idiots when all 3 idiots were equal in the crime itself.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts