Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The threaded three hole gizit that is held by three of the five lug nuts to which the anti theft bolt screws into locking it.....

What is the proper nomenclature for tgat particular gizit?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
framitz

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ok, I will bite, are you talking about the metal doo hickey that locks a dog dish hub cap on? On pontiacs these are not removeable (at least the ones on my GTO are not) and are not sold as a seperate part.

Dare I ask what year, make, and model GM?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were common in the mid 80's

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

They were common in the mid 80's
That adds up. I used to have a couple in my collection of found hubcaps as a kid in the 1980s.

I think they're called "hubcaps," but I couldn't be certain.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm I though the hub cap was the thing the locking screw held onto this part. You accessed the locking screw by prying off the actual hubcaps center cover.

The anti theft key had a screwdriver like blade used for the purpose.

I have the hubcaps, key and locking screw for a caddy. Without this part whose name escapes me, I cannot lock the caps unless I fab some.

Completely unrelated but possibly interesting to some, an xr hd and vw both seal their head surfaces the same way. Just most people used a copper ring on the vws.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
HAckA,
Have you picked out a racebike yet for Mid-Ohio? I have been thinking that Brit 500 twin would be fun. Do you have one? It doesn't need any hubcaps, GM or otherwise.

Ken

·
Registered
854 Posts
This little guy?

It was simply just called the mounting bracket. The one in the picture is from an 80's buick. for the buicks you have the wheel covers (hubcaps), Locking Key (wrench), locking nut, and the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
854 Posts
After some searching it looks like Cadillac calls them wheel centers

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazing how hard that part is to describe to even a 30 year junk yard man.

Thanks.

Ken, you told me to get out of the shop and build you a bike. I am sure the rulebook you sent me said bikes built outside of the shop had to have locking hubcaps.

Now what?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I think you should put together a BSA A-7 and put that Cadillac wheel center on the oil tank. Do you have a good frame to put the A-7 in?

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oif cm atk that lost its 500 rotax.

I still haven't gone back into the shop but I know A7s are the real Vincents.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Brother HackA,
Re: your post in the XS650 thread, of course I can blow it up if you don't build it right. Just let it be known that I have aced a Trident and a T1??(Whatever, they're all the same anyway aren't they?)and didn't wreck or blow up either of them. But I have never even ridden a BSA or a non unit anything, so I think an A 7 or even an A10 would be fun. I think the ATK frame might be legal in WERA. The worst that would happen is that some loser would get pissed that we spanked him and protest. In that case I would just drink some beers and let him keep the junky trophy. I have enough of those anyway. By the way, when you build it I don't care which side the shifter is on but if I have a choice I prefer up for first and the rest down.

Ken ( just looking for a ride)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have irrational aversions to many things. I embrace and even cultivate my pleasant eccentricities especially being able to destroy an anvil with fully cooked pasta.

However, I'm not going to drill and safety wire one of my austistic masterpieces, especially when you still haven't granted me shop re-entry privileges as of yet.

Can you actually safety wire play dough anyway?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Brother HackA,
You may certainly return to your incantations and ritualistic voodoo in the sanctuary you refer to as your shop any time you wish. You will do whatever you want, anyway so I will not be the excuse for your lassitude any longer. I also wash my hands of any attempt to persuade you to use your gifts for good and not evil. I will continue to race my own bikes in classes of my choosing, so don't come crying to me when you finally get the gumption to build a really cool race bike and I am too busy to race it for you.

Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts