2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Big Bad Bob Dog

Bikes were awesome in the 80's.

Had these in high school/college

Have an 86' now

Semi-actively looking for one of these three. Have had a couple near misses

Fuck no

Too much like this

Had some bad experiences working on buddy's FZRs back in the day. Would have to hit me just right

Not for what they're worth

A VF1000R is the only 80s Honda I'd go out of my way to own

I can dream.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
You know, in the 1990s most of us snotty teenagers/twenty somethings thought that most 80's bikes weren't all that pretty. I am glad nostalgia has made me come around. That was the era of the 16" wheel front and rear, made all sport bikes handle like fat girls on rollerskates. I remember thinking how much more confidence inspiring my norton felt as compared to pop's 86 1000r ninja. It didn't have the HP, but it had it all over that kawi cranked over at speed.

The one thing I do remember about the era is how drama free all those bikes felt. It was like going from a stearman to a starship in one bike generation. Amazing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Remember the first time you went from a wobbly, twin-shock tube-frame mess on 120-section tires, and at the time you thought the bike you were riding was okay, but then jumped onto a perimeter framed bike with great (for the time) suspension, relatively huge tires, and brakes that felt powerful, progressive, and fade-free? The bike that did it for me was my 85 FZ750. Got the second one in Colorado, right behind Bruce Sass, Colorado roadracing legend and absolute wizard tuner. He uncrated and assembled them right off the truck, took them for a spin, and I bought the one he didn't choose to keep. Coming off a Seca 650, I knew I was in for some improvements, but...holy shit!

My first street race was against a 71 440+6 convertible Cuda. No contest - I even short-shifted due to being within break-in and pulled him by six car lengths. I thought it would be closer. The first time in the mountains was a revelation - no wobbles! It got even better after Bruce took the bike back for some fork shimming and jet work. That bike made it into Sport Rider Magazine for an article I penned called "Ten Years After", comparing my bike with an 05 YZF 750. That bike was obviously an improvement as well, but...not the leap the FZ (and 900 Ninja, GSXR 750/1100 and Hurricanes) were over the previous generation of bikes. Every newer bike I've owned/ridden since then has given me an impression of improvement, but nothing like those bikes did.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I was a 20 something, ended up running workshops
I worked in a Honda/Yamaha dealers then moved to Suzuki /Yamaha dealers so got to ride most of those bikes daily [8D]

I liked the RGV 250 but it wasn't as great handling as everyone thinks, plus, the exhaust valves had a nasty habit of dropping into cylinders on early ones (guillotine type valve)

GPZ 900 was stable but bit of a tank (pretty quick though)

CB900-very weak forks but I actually liked the styling of the 'Eurosport' models

RZ350- Brazilian ones sucked as they were restricted to 75mph, Japanese ones would do closer to 130mph :D

Original Katana I loved those things, you could get them in t two wheel drift and feel perfectly safe at 80~90mph

RG500- OK, bit disappointed with 'performance', handled pretty good, motor really rattly even when new

Yamaha 'EXUP' small end and second gear problems on first year,OK if you didn't beat them too hard.
26,000mile valve adjustment

All the V-4 Honda's sucked, bad cams, cam chain tensioners, valve adjustments,cam bearings.
I worked on more at Suzuki dealers than I did at Honda shop.
Never saw a 'good' one no matter how 'pretty it looked
RD500, probably 'nicer' than the Suzuki RG500. Better finished, not as rattly, easier power valve adjustment

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Emit R Detsaw

Most underappreciated, underrated bike of the eighties?

My vote is for the 84-86 Nighthawk S.
I agree.

Take back what I said earlier, if I stumbled on a clean black and blue Nighthawk S I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never seen the night hawk. Don't know if they sold it here.

Meh, I'd take all of em. RC30 is stupid money, 20 grand at least in Aussie land, but when I heard the thing I fell in love. Plus I think they're a tad pretty.

Really would love a cb1100R. Saw one fly around Eastern Creek raceway and it was awesome. Looks are subjective, I think they're bad ass.

Rode a 750 pop up Katana not too long ago, and the thing handled fine. Wire wheel model though, so the wheels were a ton lighter.

I'm used to a beat ass Z500, with fucked front shocks. Any of these would be awesome. I just can't wait to get my honda done.

Looking at this tomorrow. And I'm a bit fucking excited. It's beaten to hell, but I can't wait to see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts