Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta tell someone.
I'm embarking on a frame-off on my 68 GTO. Talking cars over a few beers at the bar, friend of friend says..I got some 68 parts if you need them. I'm like...yeah, what do you have. Well he had a very nice used hood, entire front bumper with hide-aways, two intakes including one brand new (period) Eldebrock 2P, perfect fan shroud, perfect windshield.
So I says....how much you want for the stuff? He says....ahhh, nothin, just come get it. So I did. Offered him a few C-notes...he doesn't want it, says...buy me a couple of beers.

Dude just saved me about $1500 on the restoration ( I needed a hood and a new windshield).
So met someone that is as stupid about giving away his stuff as I am....and it feels good.
JohnnyB

PS. BFD, did I give you that copy of the HRC manual I had for the 305/350 and the S90?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
JohnnyB - nice to know the karma bean counters have decided to square up by helping along '68 Gran Turismo Omologato project. That'll be a keeper. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
enduara bumper with hideways - that alone was worth the $1500.

I have given away tons of GTO stuff over the years, I only ever got a pair of headers (which I never used) for free.

Then again I am a tremendous asshole. sO i guess it all balances out.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have two enduras with hide-aways....I'll cherry pick the best parts between the two. I have a thing about finding enduras with almost no notch in them to clear the hood (factory work). Hard find them without the notch....I'm waiting till tomorrow to check this one over closely, it might be like Christmas.

Windshield was the proper soft-ray with large blue shade to match the rest of the original windows. Intake is a 69 ( I actually need a 68 anyone want to trade?)
Hood is "un-sprung" and un-cut, with just one dent the size of a dime.
Also an original AM radio.

Amazing the parts that are still stashed away in people's sheds and garages, often times they have no idea what they are worth, or don't care, or have no interest at all. Hate to think about them all sitting around rusting away.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
Those manuals were in a notebook you gave me, thanks again. Need em back, or a copy?

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

Amazing the parts that are still stashed away in people's sheds and garages, often times they have no idea what they are worth, or don't care, or have no interest at all. Hate to think about them all sitting around rusting away.
JohnnyB
I have 4 GTOs worth of parts stashed in the crawl space under my parents house on Long Island. I haven't even looked at that stuff in 2 years. Muscle Car stuff is all being horded now since the cars got really expensive.

I once went to look at a car in the late 1990s. It was a 1969 GTO RAIII convertible. The car was in a warehouse in suffolk county long island filled with first gen big block camaros (and a couple of second gen), all unrestored. Apparently I had stumbled upon a local legend at the time because some of the shops had heard of this guy and his gold mine, but hardly anybody ever saw it. I tried to buy the GTO weeks later and the guy pretty much had disappeared. I wonder if that car is still there.....

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BFD,
If you ever get a chance, make some copies of the S90 pages. Seems the S90's are getting to be popular again. Or scan them and email, whatever is easy. I keep telling people I have them, and then forget I don't.

Geeto,
Yep a few weeks ago I traded a 68 leman's trunk lid and two doors for $150 and two very nice inner fenders. OEM sheet metal is getting pretty scarce. At least it's treated that way among us that want it, but for so many people not in the hobby it's just so much junk.

I still remember a biker party I went to 20 years ago. Out in a field was a 69 Judge with a bad front clip...guy said it was his when he was a kid, and he was saving it for his kid....probably still there, it was in the middle of nowhere in the mountains.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
227 Posts

BFD,
If you ever get a chance, make some copies of the S90 pages. Seems the S90's are getting to be popular again. Or scan them and email, whatever is easy. I keep telling people I have them, and then forget I don't.
BFD; I'l like a scan or photocopy of the S90 stuff when you have a chance
Beth

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dreamqueen

BFD,
Beth
Me too. I got a brother-n-law who could use the s90 stuff as well.

Pete

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pete Casper

quote:Originally posted by dreamqueen

BFD,
Beth
Me too. I got a brother-n-law who could use the s90 stuff as well.

Pete
As long as we're asking for copies, any chance I could get a copy of the 305/350 stuff? We have scanning copiers here at work so I could convert a copy to a PDF file pretty easily. I even have some webspace to post it as a download for anyone else that wants it.....

Jim

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:by helping along '68 Gran Turismo Omologato project.
always thought the euro translation was the above and gm thumbed their noses by saying gto stood for "gas, tires, & oil". i hear when driven properly, that's all you smell too.
-parks

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Jim
If you have an appropriate copier and want to do it send me your address off list and I'll mail you my binder. It probably wouldn't go over so well here at work if I was making alot of copies for everyone. Just make sure the Clever Dog logo figures prominently!

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
GTO is Gran Turismo Omologato, the Gas Tires and Oil thing is a joke and was never been part of GM's official or unofficial line. That is like saying Ford was taking the piss my saying their products are Found On Road Dead.

to give you an idea of how conservative GM was in those days, they veto-ed the idea of calling the GTO by it's street nickname "Goat" in an ad. Supposedly Jim Wangers pitched the ad in 1969 for the 1970 "a boy and his goat" and GM believed goat was derogatorry toward their product. Wangers wrote a book called "Glory Days" it has some really interesting stories. The suff with Royal Pontiac switching cars during street races is really interesting.

BTW, few people know this but GM's 5 lug wheel and tire tester is a 1967 GTO that has never been off the rack at the proving grounds. Supposedly they still test wheels on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Geeto,
Is this a 67 radio? Looks like one to me, and I don't think it will fit my 68. I'm listening to oldies on it as the picture was taken.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bfd

Jim
If you have an appropriate copier and want to do it send me your address off list and I'll mail you my binder. It probably wouldn't go over so well here at work if I was making alot of copies for everyone. Just make sure the Clever Dog logo figures prominently!
Email sent!

Jim

·
Registered
23,286 Posts

Geeto,
Is this a 67 radio? Looks like one to me, and I don't think it will fit my 68. I'm listening to oldies on it as the picture was taken.
JohnnyB

66-67 radio. It is actually a 1966 and early 1967 (through January build date) radio. The buttons on later 1967 radios are black and the face is slightly different. The 1968 radio was similar to the 1967 but may have been longer in the face plate, I don't know since I have never owned a '68.

As luck would have it I have a December build 1967 and I am in need of a Radio. E-mail me and name your price and I will be happy to take her off your hands.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Geeto, the buttons may look chrome in the photo but they are actually black plastic, just shiny. It's definitely not suitable for my 68, which didn't have the upper "pontiac" section exposed through the dash.
And...I gotta be honest, I have no idea what they are worth. $50?

I also have a metal fan shroud, looks to be 66 or 67, and a 67 intake, and some 67 trim (convertible maybe). I'm willing to make trades for most things 68 too.
JohnnyB

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim, BFD,
Yeah, hosting those files would be cool. I've gotten a bunch of requests for the info over the years. I was given the original photocopy by an old timer that I arranged to meet at Mosport. Got some useful info, and some interesting info.

Thanks for doing the legwork to get the stuff back out there.

JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 28 Posts