Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey what is the normal top speed of a stock cb350? Mine maxes out at 95 mph, but I think I should be able to go over 100... or at least I want to. I'm pretty much redlined at 95. Maybe when the weather cools off a bit I'll hit it.
Just wanted to see what you guys have to say about it. Is my bike slow, or am i average? I've heard a stock one should hit 110.
Also, besides gearing and pods, what can I do to crack the ton?

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Well, you're dealing with a bike that maybe puts out 30hp on a good day when its perfectly in tune. That's not much HP to get over 100mph. Take off your mirrors, tuck as much of yourself as you can behind the speedos, tuck a hand behind your back....

There are cams for sale out there for these bikes. Cams, high compression pistions, new carbs, exhausts.... All it takes is money.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
My 175 race bike hits 88.4 mph in the straight at Loudon...probably 95-97 flat out on a long level straight.....so you aren't doing too badly.
I'd guess it will take some tweaking to get a CB350 over 100mph. Might pull a slightly taller gear....put on a rear sprocket 1 tooth smaller. Sometimes that helps...sometimes it slows them down. If it slow it down try going 1 tooth larger than stock.

Most modern sportbikes won't pull redline in top gear....so the CB350 is geared better than most of them.

And Unga is right...with 30hp just taking the mirrors off is probably good for 1-2 mph.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and why do you want to go over 100 miles per hour on a cb350 on the street??? you can buy a 500 or 550 for 5 or 600 and do it out of the box. 95 is pretty quick, wound up. id say gearing, a fairing, some carbs, a cam, and some mild porting and you should be able to do it. i know turnbulls cb will do over 100 on the track. but a stocker is an entirely different story. you have a stock front end on that thing??? i dont know if id really push it that fast with those little fork tubes.

jc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess i just like the idea of doing 100 on a 350. Call me crazy. But you're right, joe, I should probably swap out the front end but I don't plan on seeing 100 often, just want to do it once.
Yeah, I could get a different bike and do it easy, but where's the fun in that? I've been there. My other bike would do 100 in second gear (or pretty close I think).
Thanks for all the tips. I think I might just stick some pods and bigger jets, take off the mirrors and go for it. I do have cafe bars so that helps with the drag. And maybe if I shave all my hair off...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
just to throw a wrench in the gears, i wouldnt trust a stock speedo. i know the 360's with the 6 banger will do just over 100. just wear some decent leather.

jc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, I was thinking i'd go out and see how accurate the speedo is. And I am definatly wearing leathers. One false move... the funs over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do some simple (cheap things) first.
Pods are a good start... do some spark plug chops
after wide open runs... i.e. go as fast as it will go
Shut it off... stop and check the spark plugs...
getting the main jets right will help to achieve the
ton... and exhaust... stock pipes favor mid range...
after getting free flowing exhausts... (if money matters
and of course it does!) you might source out used
performance exhausts or even... drag pipes! Then
rejet again (plug chops)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just cause your rusty pile of 550 parts weighs a ton, doesn't mean it will do a ton. Get it running, then we'll talk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm...so much can change in a day. Now the black bastard runs faster than a cat with it's tale on fire. But your twin turd is garaged. Well, we'll race 'em some day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just need to install my new clubmans and then get a rear brake pedal. Then we'll go for it! But now that yours runs I think you might have the edge on me.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
god, this is so typical. no wonder why you see so many groups of guys on modern sportbikes.

jc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts