Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble justifying the price here. Bike is not running and partially dissembled. Sounds like there's been a gear issue that may be due to gunking. Seller is asking $2000, I have talked him down to $1250. I think this is still way over price. Does anyone have any thought or advise here?

Thanks!!!
Rich

49971514380__6958B6FD-72EF-46FC-AC40-A0F95B80717B.JPG 49971331517__945287E3-69F7-4DFB-9E5E-74BB5A2050CB.JPG

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
A lot of that depends on how experienced you are, what the bike actually is, and what you plan to do with it.

Also I am assuming that the rear of the frame past the shocks hasn't been cut off.

Let's start with the basics:

1) is it actually a 1968 or 1969 cb450? If so does it come with the missing stock parts?

2) are you a mechanic by trade or hobby? if so do you have expirence with working on motorcycles

3) How custom do you want to get with the finished bike?

4) where are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

1) It's actually a 1972 CB450. It comes with all the missing stock parts. The story is that it ran great and was taken apart to mod the frame (drop and shorten). The frame mod appears to be a pro job. They then gave it back to the owner to re-assemble, the owner had developed cancer, and so the seller took on the project and couldn'y figure it out. That's the story, who knows what the truth behind her is though..

2) Hobby, I have moderate experience working on bikes but have admittedly run into some luck and haven't encountered any huge issues.

3) I really like the overall theme this bike is going for and wouldn't customize too heavily.

4) New Hampshire

Rich

·
Registered
134 Posts
Its actually hard to determine what year it is as that tank is misleading, it looks similar to a 68/69 K1 450 tank but I don't think it is, it looks to be from something smaller..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its actually hard to determine what year it is as that tank is misleading, it looks similar to a 68/69 K1 450 tank but I don't think it is, it looks to be from something smaller..
Yes, my mistake for not being more clear. It is a 1972 CB450.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
is a non-running CB450 worth even $1,000?

What is a stock/running/rideable version worth?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's difficult to put a value on something we know nothing about though... $1,250 seems high and I would think even $1000 seems high for what I see in the photo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's difficult to put a value on something we know nothing about though... $1,250 seems high and I would think even $1000 seems high for what I see in the photo.
Thanks, that's what I've been feeling. I've also been considering this 1982 CB900:

00U0U_6VKZFR6rRf8_600x450.jpg

I'm just not sure I love the look compared to the 72 model. It's listed at $600 bucks with these issues:

Needs lighting figured out (headlight and front blinker turn on, no other lights turn on)
Starter sounds like it is on the way out (sometimes sounds like gears missed and there is a whirring)
Throttle cable is connected backwards
Missing starter cover
May need fork seals

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
hard to say without looking at the "frame mods".

I can tell you right off the bat there are a few things that need undoing:
- The 11" shorty shocks in the rear need to go
- the pod filters go in the trash
- the completely missing battery box
- The cross brace between the rear frame rails that the PO cut out.

It looks like they cut out some pretty significant cb450 cross bracing and didn't put anything in to replace it so....

I am going to say for someone looking for a 450 to make into a race bike that can weld and undo some of the po's mistakes with the frame, it might be a good deal (not great, just good), but for you it probably isn't.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Thanks, that's what I've been feeling. I've also been considering this 1982 CB900:

View attachment 37114

I'm just not sure I love the look compared to the 72 model. It's listed at $600 bucks with these issues:

Needs lighting figured out (headlight and front blinker turn on, no other lights turn on)
Starter sounds like it is on the way out (sometimes sounds like gears missed and there is a whirring)
Throttle cable is connected backwards
Missing starter cover
May need fork seals

Any thoughts?
run the fucking opposite direction from this. unless he is paying you $600 to take it. Then part it out and use the money to buy something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
run the fucking opposite direction from this. unless he is paying you $600 to take it. Then part it out and use the money to buy something else.
Haha thank you! What are the big red flags on that one?

It's starting to look like Craigslist is gonna be filled with only shit, any recommendations on the best way to hunt for a decent CB I could cafe out?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I am going to say for someone looking for a 450 to make into a race bike that can weld and undo some of the po's mistakes with the frame, it might be a good deal (not great, just good), but for you it probably isn't.
is that something the 450 is commonly used for?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
is that something the 450 is commonly used for?
It used to be. I don't know who is still running the cb450. I think they ran Production Lightweight. For AHRMA I think the year cutoff was 1972.

Team Hansen sold performance parts like high compression pistons and oilers and such. Maybe they still do? their website is still up.

here is someone's old racing cb450 that was for sale in 2014:
CL450 Vintage Race Bike Package
he says he raced it around 2010-2012 which is about when I remember seeing them.

There used to be an off the shelf "cafe racer kit" sold by Omar's Dirt Track racing that Phil Little designed. The new company, Omar's fiberglass, still sells the tank and seat but they are meant to bolt on to a stock frame.
http://www.omarsfiberglass.com/clubman
I think the other parts from the old kit were Raask Rearsets, Emgo fairing, and flanders clubman bars.
Honda450_back_front.jpg

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Well for starters hondas of that era have some electrical problems to begin with, but if all the lights aren't working then the harness has been hacked to shit. The cut frame in the back is a big no no on the supersports as well. Everything on that bike just seems to be a mess, the headliight mounts are off indicating an accident, the bars are just...well fuck it, none of the cables seem to be routed properly....I mean it just screams "I was manhandled by someone with no clue". If I actually inspected it I could probably find more wrong with it.

It's starting to look like Craigslist is gonna be filled with only shit, any recommendations on the best way to hunt for a decent CB I could cafe out?
you can start by not looking for only the things below $1500. Also it is better if you figure out what you want first, and then find the bike to match that. I'm pretty sure you have this vague idea in your head what a "cafe racer" is and I am also pretty sure if you told me what it was I would find it hilariously wrong so....maybe start by asking some real questions and dial in what you really want with the bike?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts

It's been butchered.

This is going sound morbid, but I had a good friend who was extremely successful at buying used motorcycles at terrific deals. He located all the old guys with motorcycles that he could and then watched the obituaries until he seen them show up there, then he went and cut a deal with their widows for all the old motorcycles and bits.
... he's dead now :| I wonder what happened to his 1952 Indian.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That Omar's is a great looking 450 kit.

I was also going to point out that the shocks on the first pic look like about 4" too short, suspension travel is a must, don't get lured into the low stance look from online pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Omar's used to have the best adjustable laverda clubman bars ever. I wish I had kept the set I had bought years ago.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Both those bikes look to me like someone has done a hack job. "Shortened and lowered" appears to mean structurally compromised and suspension ruined. The 900F is just a shame, probably started out a good donor for a vintage superbike before the grinder butcher got at it. I'd keep looking. If you're not far from the Canadian border you can buy a lot cheaper in Canada. Here's a 900F, 17,000 miles, $1,150US that looks in good shape. HONDA CB 900F 1981 | routières sportives | Ouest de l?Île | Kijiji

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well for starters hondas of that era have some electrical problems to begin with, but if all the lights aren't working then the harness has been hacked to shit. The cut frame in the back is a big no no on the supersports as well. Everything on that bike just seems to be a mess, the headliight mounts are off indicating an accident, the bars are just...well fuck it, none of the cables seem to be routed properly....I mean it just screams "I was manhandled by someone with no clue". If I actually inspected it I could probably find more wrong with it.

you can start by not looking for only the things below $1500. Also it is better if you figure out what you want first, and then find the bike to match that. I'm pretty sure you have this vague idea in your head what a "cafe racer" is and I am also pretty sure if you told me what it was I would find it hilariously wrong so....maybe start by asking some real questions and dial in what you really want with the bike?
As a senior member of this forum I would expect you of all people would appreciate the value of not being a massive fucking dick to people who are obviously beginning to look into joining a community you clearly care quite a bit for (22k posts..) I'm sure there are probably some really good educational posts that have been hashed out here over the years, and instead of suggesting a link, you insult me?? Or are you trying to show me the origins of the culture by acting like one of the flippant kids who'd race from cafe to cafe back in the 70's? If so, here's the thing....we were kids then. It was 40 years ago, some of us had to take a break to have careers and families. So when I come back to something I used to love, and am looking into some of the older bikes I used to ride, people like you make me shake my head. Some people never realize that maturity is a common courtesy I suppose.

I'll find another forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both those bikes look to me like someone has done a hack job. "Shortened and lowered" appears to mean structurally compromised and suspension ruined. The 900F is just a shame, probably started out a good donor for a vintage superbike before the grinder butcher got at it. I'd keep looking. If you're not far from the Canadian border you can buy a lot cheaper in Canada. Here's a 900F, 17,000 miles, $1,150US that looks in good shape. HONDA CB 900F 1981 | routières sportives | Ouest de l?Île | Kijiji
Thank You woodsman, that is incredibly helpful! You are an ideal member of this community.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts