Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love a stripped down Goldie. Big, fat and mean looking. No push over in the power department either. Pretty quick for their size.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
randakk makes a roots supercharger kit for those beasties - I can't imagine how much fun they would be.

And for the record, any gold wing can handle the curves. The modern ones can probably out handle the majority of 1970s street bikes. They also have more cornering clearance than most harleys and other crusiers. the benefit of being honda's flagship is you get all the state of the art technology. The only thing I wish they would stop doing is using honda civic gauge clusters for the newer ones - makes the comparison too easy.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I remember reading about someone roadracing an early Gold Wing with AHRMA or WERA. The bit I found really funny was he supposedly left the stereo on and would blast tunes as he raced. This was few years ago and I can no longer find the webpage..... It probably doesn't exist any more. I did find a reference to "Chris Denzler's GL1000R Goldwing roadracer" and the fact that he got 3rd place in the "2000 season WMRRA Early Heavyweight Grand Prix Season Championship. Bike was a 1975 Honda Gold Wing built and prepped by me."

Here we go - off the WMRRA forum:

And according to the posts, he never ran the radio while racing but in the pits before and after racing.....

Jim

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Anyone who has been to Deal's Gap the past few years have probably seen the guy who video tapes folks. He rides a yellow GL1800 Goldwing (I think). The guy is fast, take a look at his clips.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've had about a dozen "naked" goldwings, years 1975-1982. They are great machines. that big old motor is so low... the center of gravity is awesome. These old bikes can be really hot. the down side is that it is super hard to find hop-up parts for them. After decades of searching I still have never found a set of hot cams.... There are a lot of old wings out there with rod knocks, and it is a real pain to replace the bearings. I wish I had pictures of my wife and I (ten years ago) doing wheelies and burnouts on the old 'Wing!

I've been thinking about finding another one.

I have a Goldwing dream bike I have always wanted to build: I want to first remove all the extra metal covers off the front of the motor to expose the timing gears, then remove the radiator and make some one-off saddle bags with integrated radiators in the forn of them. Try to imagine some 1930's aviation lines: big, sweeping curves with big, round, open fronts. Then I have a supercharger kit I designed for one but never finished, with a 1-into-4 carb like a VW. The super charger is powered off the crank gear, which conveniently is right there up front. It would be one hell of an awesome ride.

Peace and grease
-fang

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pete Casper

Anyone who has been to Deal's Gap the past few years have probably seen the guy who video tapes folks. He rides a yellow GL1800 Goldwing (I think). The guy is fast, take a look at his clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
they make me look like a chump! you can hear floorboards grinding on every single turn. how fun is that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts