Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Get a 750.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Gonna buy a CB900C. Good idea?

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Geeto67 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here and heard about this website from a friend of mine. Anyhow, I've been riding around a Husqvarna TE511 which is a kick-ass bike. Only problem is that it's a dual sport bike and doesn't do well on the highway. I always wanted to get a vintage bike for cheap and turn it into something close to a cafe bike. Also want one because there is a nice cafe-style gang in CT called CT Rockers, and I would fit in really well with one of these.

But anyway, I don't know much about the 900c. All I know is that it is shaft driven, doesn't have points, and has a different frame from the 900f... and the 750's are more desirable for some reason. This one I've been looking at is going for 200 bucks. It has 15,000 on it and has been left outside for about 10 years wrapped with a couple of tarps. Not sure if the engine is seized, will find out soon. I don't really mind that though because it's only 200 bucks.

Does this bike have a good parts market? Are they easy to get?

Is the electrical easy on this thing?

Any known problems with these models?

Does anybody know if the cylinders have removable sleeves, in case the engine seized?

Are there any good performance parts?

Is there any reason that this bike is not a good pick?

Thanks everybody!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Is it a good touring or highway bike? Yes. Will it ever be a performance street racing or cafe bike? No.

I love my 900c but it's a cruiser.

Electrical is almost always a problem. Shaft and motor are bullet proof.

You are asking for trouble dealing with a bike that's been outside for 10 years. At 200 buy in plan on spending another 1500 to get it running right.

seals, gaskets, carb rebuild, brakes, fluids, new shocks to replace the shot air ones

lots of parts available. I have anything you need as well.

there ya go

#5 ·
With the limited data you gave I can tell you you WILL need:

front shock rebuild (air and oil systems)
rear shock replace or rebuild
carb rebuild (40 each carb)
final drive and crank oil
Filters
head and side cover gaskets (including tach gasket)
New reg/rec
most likely new ac system
Possible new tec controllers
Front and rear brake rebuild
New brakelines, I prefer stainless steel bbraided
new cables
valve job (shims are 10 each.) You have 16

what you might need:
Complete top end rrebuild
crank rrebuild
clutch plates and fibers
New final drive (unlikely)

like I said its all available but you may be in for more than you think with a 200 dollar bike.

#8 ·
Should we even go over why buying a motorcycle to fit in with a bunch of "rockers" is a bad idea? Or have you figured that out yet? What's worse is you thinking a 700lbs touring chopper from the 80's will do the trick.

honestly, set the $200 you are thinking of spending on fire. The minute of heat and light will provide you with more utility and entertainment than that neglected cb900c is going to.

#9 ·
Is this a good idea?

No, absolutely not. This is a bad idea. In no way will the CB900C be a good base for a Cafe type bike. Why would you want to hang out with a "cafe gang". The whole concept is silly.

#10 ·
Yeah, saw the bike anyways. You guys are right, it needs too much work.

As far as the cafe thing, up here, that term is thrown around kind of loosely. The "cafe gang" is really just a bunch of people who ride after work and they happen to have vintage bikes and most of them happen to be cafe'd out.

In the end, I would like to get a cafe bike. For some reason I thought it would be possible with the 900c because the parts may have been interchangeable with the 900f, which ended up not being true.

Again, thanks everybody for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.