Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
No and Fuck no!.

The first one the guy posted on here for some feedback, got an earful about all the things he overlooked and never came back. I would find that post in the projects section and read up.

The second one....if you pay $4500 for that bike you will be the biggest sucker there is. full stop.

For that kind of money...why not buy something british? OIF triumphs sell for that, as do BSAs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. That is very appreciated.

Where would you recommend I go to look for used bikes? Any sites you recommend?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Local craigslist

Or I could try and find you something here in the midwest for cheaper and ship it out. Would still be cheaper than that...

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
You aren't going to find a "deal" on ebay or craigslist, or any mass market commercial site. You have to be real saavy to find a deal on those places and you just arent there yet (and there is a lot of garbage to wade through).

Here is what I recommend - Find your local bike shop. There have to be at least 2 shops that work on older motorcycles near you - go there, look at their inventory. Don't use the work cafe racer when talking to them. Tell them you want a nice standard reliable motorcycle. Look on their bulliten board if they have one and ask about inventory. Ask about bike nights, shows, and rides. Attend those. talk to people.

do you have a license? have you ridden before? are you even remotely mechanically inclined? do you own REAL tools?

The best bikes usually trade hands word of mouth or at shows. It is pretty much a right of passage that as a newbie you are going to get screwed on your first used old bike anyway so we are just trying to minimize the damage. It is a lot harder for a person to take advantage of you in person than on the internet.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You aren't going to find a "deal" on ebay or craigslist, or any mass market commercial site. You have to be real saavy to find a deal on those places and you just arent there yet (and there is a lot of garbage to wade through).

Here is what I recommend - Find your local bike shop. There have to be at least 2 shops that work on older motorcycles near you - go there, look at their inventory. Don't use the work cafe racer when talking to them. Tell them you want a nice standard reliable motorcycle. Look on their bulliten board if they have one and ask about inventory. Ask about bike nights, shows, and rides. Attend those. talk to people.

do you have a license? have you ridden before? are you even remotely mechanically inclined? do you own REAL tools?

The best bikes usually trade hands word of mouth or at shows. It is pretty much a right of passage that as a newbie you are going to get screwed on your first used old bike anyway so we are just trying to minimize the damage. It is a lot harder for a person to take advantage of you in person than on the internet.
+2! Very good advice! That needs to be made a common sense sticky somewhere! :) Would have saved a lot of beginners some trouble!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting my license at the end of the month. So my riding experience is limited. I am not afraid to admit it.

As for mechanically inclined, yes. Real tools, no.

I know of a shop or two, so I will start asking around and talking to people. There is also a weekly show at Deus Ex Machina, which is down the street. So I have been going to that, but Deus Ex Machina has beautiful bikes but they all start at $10K, which I know is a rip off.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I got my first bike from a guy who owned a bicycle shop. I stopped in bc I heard he had some vintage bikes. Walked in and found he had 40! He beat me up pretty good on it but after I learned my lesson he has been more than helpful and we have traded parts and bikes for the last 4 years. You never know where you may find someone who can get you what is best. I think the recommendation here will be that with your lack of experience and tools to get something that is small, stock and running. Learn to ride it and maintain it. Then in a couple years if you want to make changes...do so.

Id find something common and easier to maintain. Any smaller cb or xs for instance. Im sure others will have more recommendations...DO NOT BUY A PROJECT!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my first bike from a guy who owned a bicycle shop. I stopped in bc I heard he had some vintage bikes. Walked in and found he had 40! He beat me up pretty good on it but after I learned my lesson he has been more than helpful and we have traded parts and bikes for the last 4 years. You never know where you may find someone who can get you what is best. I think the recommendation here will be that with your lack of experience and tools to get something that is small, stock and running. Learn to ride it and maintain it. Then in a couple years if you want to make changes...do so.

Id find something common and easier to maintain. Any smaller cb or xs for instance. Im sure others will have more recommendations...DO NOT BUY A PROJECT!
That is basically my plan. I want to be able to ride this for a while, learn the maintenance and then step it up. I just don't want to look like too big of an idiot. I know there is an element of that I can not avoid.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Dont buy something with clubmans or clipons. Youll hate the riding position and won't be stable at first. Get something that is safe and reliable. If you were closer I would have a perfect 350 for you.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think you could find something out there for cheaper. I have a feeling it would cost 500-700 to ship it. If a month from now you haven't found something we can talk. But I think if you hit the pavement you will find something for a good price. I dont want to take advantage of your haste.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Deus is more about "scene" than about motorcycles. We have one here too in NYC...lots a fashion and overpriced bikes. But there are good people working within their organization (as well as some wonks) and good people attend events as well.

I feel like for $4000 you could find an early "New" bonneville (not actually a new bike, but the new generation of bonneville). Should be about a 2000 model or so. I have seen them as low as $3K but since the hipsters discovered them as a reliable alternative to cb750s the prices bumped up slightly. They don't come up as often as I would like since people like them and tend to keep them, but try the triumph dealer - see if they have a used one kicking around as a trade in.

Also, I am a fan of the Royal Enfield UCE bikes (2009+). They are a little down on power so you aren't going to be winning any speed trophies but it is a really easy bike to ride. been hearing a lot of positive feedback on their reliability as well. DO NOT consider an iron barrel or AVL (made from 1957-2009) as they are a bit finiky and require you to be on your shit.

If a new bike isn't out of your realm (financed of course) the guzzi v7 is my new favorite. had a v7 cafe test bike for a week back in 2010 and am still raving about it long after the model became the gaudy "racer". Used ones I see for about $6-7K and I still say that is a lot of motorcycle for the money.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
CB650 looks pretty nice in the pics but is overpriced for a basically stock bike
The 750 is at least 3k overpriced and will need a lot of work to run right

1 - 20 of 23 Posts