Cafe Racer Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 4243 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
MK3Brent; Hope this helps.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks... Wish you could do the same with the sad looking Triumph. Appears like it'll run after the funky wiring is thrown away.

Anyone have any experience with the Pazon Sure-Fire ignition system? Any good... it's made in Kiwi land , so there's hope.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
2 grand for that CB77 is a little steep IMHO. That's probably because I never paid more that 200 for a project CB77/72. Thank goodness I gave away tons of parts with the last one I restored. I will not be tempted to buy yet another one.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
It is a little high.
But they are getting harder to find.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The SB2's and the DB1's where super sexy quality items. The HB and similar era ones where all a bit cheap and nasty like a kit bike. I have inspected them in person.

I saw an Bimota Supermono BMW single parked in the street a month ago. It did not do much for me. They look good in photos, but it looked a bit lame and dowdy in the flesh. I think the 650 BMW single would be a big bore.

bimota-supermono-09.jpg

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Anyone ever use linseed oil inside a frame that is suspected to have rust?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You could get the frame acid pickled, but that would only really work if the frame tubes are open. That would at least neutralise the corrorion, but it would need to be sealed pretty quickly. Not sure if that process would damage brazed welds though.

Car restorers use that over here and it makes a pretty good job.

Sealing being some form of surface coating by the way

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Anyone ever use linseed oil inside a frame that is suspected to have rust?
Boiled linseed oil is wonderful stuff for preventing corrosion in some applications. Doesn't harden completely and if the surface is broken (not too badly) it will usually bleed out enough to seal itself.Learned that from an engineer who worked on ocean going freighters. I'd be tempted to use it on a new frame. Rust already inside a frame is a different story. As you know, it can be very dangerous. An X-ray would be ideal. Even tapping with a small hammer and cutting out a suspect section would be an option. Inspect with bore scope. Normally one would think that the bottom tubes would be the worst, but Mark has proved that theory wrong. Also, if the frame isn't perfectly sealed to keep water out, then it should be provided with a spot where it can get out. If you do use boiled linseed oil for anything, then don't leave any oil soaked rags around. It's unbelievable how quickly that stuff can spontaneously combust and the can doesn't usually spell that out as clearly as it should.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
1970 Moto Guzzi Nouvo Falcone 500cc

Kind of ugly and shame on them for enclosing the flywheel. That's progress I guess.
The seventies cop Falcones are so ugly, you want to walk away from them. I have. They pump out something like 17 horsepower. There are big fat dogs that can run faster without a sweat.

They make T5 Guzzis and Harley 350 Sprints look awesome and beautiful. And that's a big call!

Danger, is my business."

2041 - 2060 of 4243 Posts