Cafe Racer Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 4243 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Never was a big fan of the Terblanche 900SS bodywork. But I have said it before, one day I will have an earlier SS in my garage (of the 851/888/900 variety)

Reactions: Geeto67

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
That is cool.
expensive

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Not worth what he's asking IMHO. If they have to spend 10k GBP in a refurb, well it probably wasn't built very good to begin with, I say. I don't like some of the cheap parts, like the Triumph style bolt-up hubs: I would not use them on a race bike. I imagine the frame was designed for a single G50 motor, and not a twin pumping out around 75RWHP. I doubt the Seeley frame would work very well at race speeds on modern rubber. It might have won races, but I doubt the frame would work very well regardless.

Is it a Seeley copy? Or not?

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Not worth what he's asking IMHO. If they have to spend 10k GBP in a refurb, well it probably wasn't built very good to begin with, I say. I don't like some of the cheap parts, like the Triumph style bolt-up hubs: I would not use them on a race bike. I imagine the frame was designed for a single G50 motor, and not a twin pumping out around 75RWHP. I doubt the Seeley frame would work very well at race speeds on modern rubber. It might have won races, but I doubt the frame would work very well regardless.

Is it a Seeley copy? Or not?

Danger, is my business."

God, sometimes I really do wish you knew more about what you were talking about. That's a Seeley Mk.3 Norton frame - designed for a norton and not a conversion or whatever you wrongly imagined. Seeley G50 and A7R frames look similar but the originals couldn't clear the norton engine so the engines for the norton have enough differences to not be considered a conversion. The MK3/Mk.4 frames are more than capable of handling out what those twins can dish out.

As to whether it is a copy...well...Titchmarsh, Barber, Glyn Poole and Norman White all built replicas of the Mk2 and 3 Norton frame. NYC norton copies the Mk.4. Being a "copy" doesn't mean it's inferior, the Rodger Titschmarsh frames are considered very very good and were a product of the weight reduction obsession in the 90's (RT's own 500cc racer weighed 245lbs). I don't think any of the copies are any less valuable than the originals since this is all race only stuff and usually very good, and it isn't like there is a lot of it floating around.

As for working very well at race speeds on modern rubber it does. I've seen Kenny and Jamie both do very well on their bikes (as have most of the members on this site I know IRL have seen as well). Seeley Nortons were competitive into AMA racing into the 1990s and you can still see them at AHRMA events. Here is the Martin Adams/ Paul Lewis "Seeley replica" norton that raced daytona in 1987:

As for the triumph bolt together rear hubs, I've seen them on a few race bikes over the years. Heck, even my racing H1 used one for a time. They aren't preferred because there is no cush drive, but for a bike that doesn't need one they are lighter than the HD hubs. I toyed with the idea of putting one back on the racing H1, but will probably use the Morris Mag that the bike currently has.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
G__t , there is scant details on this Seeley on the ad. I'm only going on the data provided.

There are good Seeley copies, and bad copies. Every joker with a gas torch and a bender in the UK thinks they are chassis engineers.

If it is that consistent in winning races, there is probably little real competition.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Funny but some "original" Seeley bikes were not made by my Seeley.....
But some of the "copies" have a lot more of him in them.....

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Funny but some "original" Seeley bikes were not made by my Seeley.....
But some of the "copies" have a lot more of him in them.....
It's some kind of Jedi trick or Buddhist mind puzzle.
There are more Seeley frames now than there ever used to be in the seventies, and the ones he built he didn't.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
G__t , there is scant details on this Seeley on the ad. I'm only going on the data provided.

There are good Seeley copies, and bad copies. Every joker with a gas torch and a bender in the UK thinks they are chassis engineers.

If it is that consistent in winning races, there is probably little real competition.

Danger, is my business."
Are there bad seeley copies? yes. Are they being used in active racing? not for very long. There is at least one pretty famous rider in that list of owners, Dennis Gallagher was a scottish racer who ran a Seeley G50 in the 60's including at the IOM. Here is his Obituary:
Obituary: Denis Gallagher, engineering fitter and motorcycle racer - The Scotsman

I imagine if you travel in racing circles in england/ireland Bill Wark and Mark McGaw are know as they both seem to run in modern lightweights as well as several classic races.

I agree the ad sucks on details but the consistency of races considering these are known racers and not rank amateurs tends to suggest the bike is a quality piece. It's not hard at all to Google search the races this old war horse has been in and see the other bikes - no shrinking violets by any means as it is usually up against Rob North Tridents and Other Westlake Nortons and is right there in the fight for average speed and lap times. It's also easy to see that Bill had a lot more success on the bike and that lap times and average speed fell off slightly with it's transfer to Mark so chances are Mark is unhappy with it and is selling to find another classic mount.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh and since Mark Burton is reading this...let me ask - if you had to refresh an NRE 750 to 900cc spec in a custom racing chassis, could you spend 10K doing it chasing all the fiddley bits down? I can't imagine what you have into your project but you probably have a good handle on the prices for this type of exotica.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
It's some kind of Jedi trick or Buddhist mind puzzle.
There are more Seeley frames now than there ever used to be in the seventies, and the ones he built he didn't.

Danger, is my business."
Very much so.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A brand new, 750cc Nourish engine, less ignition and carbs is around £7k. Rebuild a gearbox, new clutch, bearings and odd and sodds and £10k is soon gone. If youre starting from scratch into that frame, theres loads of hours on engine plates and so on.

£27k is probably a bit high, but you would soon have that sort of money into one if you where having it built. Similar money for a well sorted Manx Norton.

I will put a cost against mine when its finished with a rough break down on parts.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Very much so.
And factor in the fact that most of the guys racing them now are faster, are twice as old, but slower around the track than the guys who rode them fast in the old days, and the guys who rode them fast in the old days could ride them faster than anyone now; and they are mostly 75 years age.

About 50% of the 'value' of old bikes is just fluff and speculation. Just like a two room banker's night-box in the Portland Road in London.

:D Seeley fungating propagation in action. It's like GT-40's in a quantum universe ( or this universe ) , whenever you turn your back: there turns up another yet one that McQueen drove on his day off. That cheesy smile glarin' at ya. Bouncing that godamn ball on the wall again. More Gulf paint.

Danger, is
my business."

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I know a local guy that races a couple of these bikes against relatively modern stuff, hes late twenties and I believe won the series last year! Hes got a 500 and 750, both in Seeley frames.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah I was going to say, of the owners I know who have the new Seeley Nortons coming out of NYC Norton, most of them are in their 30's and 40's. I think the old guys who were racing them almost all retired or died.

2141 - 2160 of 4243 Posts