Cafe Racer Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 4246 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
think that the $3k bid was fair.
Cant see $3500
I can see $3500. Easily if parted out. If you are the kind of person who is willing to do the paperwork trail as well as the restoration I could see 5 figures each for the pair. They are both back in the day magazine bikes, both have rare parts, there is a good narrative here as well. If you were the kind of person who was also willing to buy them and sit on them for a few years they would appreciate, but for a hardcore flipper maybe $3500 is asking too much.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Neither did any one else.
Ebay is fickle. Some days it is the wonder cash cow that almost literally prints money, others you can't get 3 nickles and a handshake for your barn find ferrari.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
I just don't see the market for those bikes.
The parts that are on them are not that rare or interesting.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I just don't see the market for those bikes.
The parts that are on them are not that rare or interesting.
to the right collector it's there. The right buyer for these bikes is way rarer than the parts, but sometimes it is more than the bike that sells the bike. If restored, packaged correctly, they could really be something. but that's a lot of work in it's own right. plus the bike market is hitting a bit of a downturn again right now.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
to the right collector it's there. The right buyer for these bikes is way rarer than the parts, but sometimes it is more than the bike that sells the bike. If restored, packaged correctly, they could really be something. but that's a lot of work in it's own right. plus the bike market is hitting a bit of a downturn again right now.
It's probably not a bad time to scope around and haggle for unique junk motorcycles. I'm getting a bit bored with bikes, I'm getting keen for a seriously fast late model high end sports car like now. Not a Porsche though, they do absolutely jack for me now, and an R8 is all too much glam for a city car.

That said I'm going to look at a classic Honda, and also probably buy another big commuter bike this week.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
It's probably not a bad time to scope around and haggle for unique junk motorcycles. I'm getting a bit bored with bikes, I'm getting keen for a seriously fast late model high end sports car like now. Not a Porsche though, they do absolutely jack for me now, and an R8 is all too much glam for a city car.

That said I'm going to look at a classic Honda, and also probably buy another big commuter bike this week.

Danger, is my business."
Me, I was on a semi exotic kick for a while.
Now thinking more of another classic. Miss my old Dodge D24. Would like a coupe this time. Maybe a Hemi Desoto

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The parts are interesting and worth it but the bikes themselves are what's nice. But the cost to do right might be to high for bidders looking for a Firestone wheeled CB.

I would like one day to pick up a nice early 90s Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Wish the twats in the marketing dept had pulled their heads out long enough to bring in a few of these.

GB500.jpg

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wish the twats in the marketing dept had pulled their heads out long enough to bring in a few of these.

View attachment 13421
The GB500 originally retailed for $4198 in 1989. I bought a leftover in the fall of 1991 for $2800. That's 2/3 of the original MSRP. Honda lost a lot of money importing the GB.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
That looks a little too stock for me to think it is a very good race bike. Stock forks suck and are too long. The stock front brake is marginal. The stock wheels are the wrong size for good handling or good rubber. The stock shock length is too short. It has an oil cooler. However, if it has a good motor, carb and pipe, the rest can be fixed for a couple of hundred bucks from E-bay.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The GB500 originally retailed for $4198 in 1989. I bought a leftover in the fall of 1991 for $2800. That's 2/3 of the original MSRP. Honda lost a lot of money importing the GB.
They could have sent some north of the 49th..... and I suppose it's better they lost money on this rather than some of the other stuff.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts

View attachment 13421
Good in theory, but Honda America got bit in the ass with a bike that the public didn't really want years ago. Marketers have long memories, when it comes to unsold bikes.

Quote:" In the USA, GB500s were imported for model years 1989 and 1990. In 1992, a third-party exported 1,000 unsold Honda GB 500 Clubmans (German) from the USA to Germany as grey import vehicles.[2][3] "

Honda GB500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Good in theory, but Honda America got bit in the ass with a bike that the public didn't really want years ago. Marketers have long memories, when it comes to unsold bikes.

Quote:" In the USA, GB500s were imported for model years 1989 and 1990. In 1992, a third-party exported 1,000 unsold Honda GB 500 Clubmans (German) from the USA to Germany as grey import vehicles.[2][3] "

Honda GB500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Danger, is my business."
True... and I get that I'm not the "normal" North American motorcycle buyer and it's a bit of a niche market, but Canada could have used a few of those. They could have brought them in from American Honda at the a lower price and used the parts sitting in U.S. warehouses. If it made sense to export them to Germany, it would make sense to truck a few up here. It's a shame so many left the continent. Now if I want one, I have to drag it across the border and pay 5k US for a decent one.

edit.... make that 6k. Here is the closest one http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4935170814.html

2241 - 2260 of 4246 Posts