Cafe Racer Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 4243 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
True... and I get that I'm not the "normal" North American motorcycle buyer and it's a bit of a niche market, but Canada could have used a few of those. They could have brought them in from American Honda at the a lower price and used the parts sitting in U.S. warehouses. If it made sense to export them to Germany, it would make sense to truck a few up here. It's a shame so many left the continent. Now if I want one, I have to drag it across the border and pay 5k US for a decent one.

edit.... make that 6k. Here is the closest one Honda GB500 - 1989
My point is there was no market for them in the new world. The XBR / GB 500 is a bit over rated IMHO. I rode an XBR500, and the feeling was: meh. In many ways the GB400TT or the GB250 are better bikes. It's hard to quantify, but the 500 is ' a bit soft '.

SR500's are far better road bikes IMHO.

There is a massive alternative parts industry for SR's.

While away the hours trolling through these sites:

YAMAHA SR500 Custom Parts and Customer Reviews

KEDO - Performance Products

A month later-----. :)

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
522 Posts
They're selling for more over here, they're pretty dang collectible and as you know, something is worth exactly how much the next person is willing to pay for it...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Ain't worth $6K. No way. You could get a good SR500E and a good naked SV650 for those bucks.

Compared to a GB500, I'd rather ride a CX500 with a 2 into 1 exhaust, and Hagon shocks. Far faster. More fun too.

Danger, is my business."
Well folks seem to be getting $5k easily. No thanks to the CX. I want a thumper and have no illusions that it's a rocket ship. I already have a CX that I use for a grocery getter. Although I don't absolutely hate it (and it only cost $400 plus 200 for bits to get it running and it's nice enough to qualify for collectors plates so it costs less than $200 yr to insure), I'm sick of ringing it's neck and constantly looking for 6th gear. From my perspective you have a warped idea of far faster and fun.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
They're selling for more over here, they're pretty dang collectible and as you know, something is worth exactly how much the next person is willing to pay for it...
Don't confuse worth with speculation and inflation. I mean guys pay real bucks for junk like MG's and Mini Clubmans.

Not many motorcycles are " collectable ", just ' hordeable '.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My first thought was that the GB wasn't standard, the more I look though the more I'm not so sure.
First saw one of these GSF400's in Rat Motorcycles, Biggin Hill, about 20 years ago..... still love the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,489 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
ELR: I'm not going to comment on the likely ballpark figure it sells for. But, it seems strange that a crank and a clutch rebuild is not mentioned. It's done enough miles for those to be redone.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
2261 - 2280 of 4243 Posts