Cafe Racer Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 4230 Posts

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
Meh, people just like to bitch.
Im not looking to buy and appliance either.
Have owned a few Jaguars. Had issues. It is what it is.

High maintenance is different then unreliable.

·
Registered
522 Posts
To me that f4 is as sexy as a bike can get...well that and the 916 and I think they were the same designer. I would absolutely love to own one. It'd totally be a Sunday afternoon bike but fuck it, Italian bikes are made to be cosseted.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Meanwhile. Buells still break more than everything Italian. Another friend's blew up. :D (you gotta laugh, the pockets hurt too much to cry!)

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Meanwhile. Buells still break more than everything Italian. Another friend's blew up. :D (you gotta laugh, the pockets hurt too much to cry!)
I'd like to love Buells. But they are like a kit car with an old Sportster motor in it. Hardly the combination to inspire confidence in the reliability department.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I kinda view mine as the closest i will ever get to a Vincent. Which is a long ways away.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I kinda view mine as the closest i will ever get to a Vincent. Which is a long ways away.
You need to refine your idea of a Vincent. The Rapide's were slow junk, and the Black Shadows were O.K., but weird handling beasts.

I knew a guy who had a Rapide as a young guy in the sixties. He didn't have much good to say about it. Rapide's are slower than a Virago 750, as far as I can determine.

I hope your bike is far better than a Virago, and faster than a Rapide. It's not that hard to achieve.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
You need to refine your idea of a Vincent. The Rapide's were slow junk, and the Black Shadows were O.K., but weird handling beasts.

I knew a guy who had a Rapide as a young guy in the sixties. He didn't have much good to say about it. Rapide's are slower than a Virago 750, as far as I can determine.

I hope your bike is far better than a Virago, and faster than a Rapide. It's not that hard to achieve.

Danger, is my business."
Anything old is going to be slower than something that comes 20-30 years after it. Depending on your definitions of slow.

I rode an old comet a friend owns. I found it perfectly fine for in town riding. It's torquey and reasonably quick enough to keep up with traffic. A comet is a 500 cc single and by no means considered a "fast motorcycle" by any standards set in the 70's.

The only problem I have with Vincents is how "overrated" they are. I have met some of the loveliest people who are actual Vincent owners (including Big Sid) and you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people who mostly believe these things should be ridden just like any other bike. However, there are people out there, most of whom I suspect that don't own Vincents, that have put this bike on a pedestal so high you'd think Jesus and Moses themselves chiseled the rapide out of the Rock of Ages.

Are the good riding bikes? Yes. I have ridden more than one and more than once and I think they ride great. It's my opinion but it is a marginally informed one and one shared by most people who have actually ridden one.

Were they ahead of their time? Yes they were. In both performance and innovation. But think about the time - mostly post war brit singles and twins struggling to make 30hp and flathead american sporting twins and overweight OHV pushrod cruisers. the decade after WWII wasn't really a great time for motorcycles, at least compared to the 60's and 70's. By the 1970's you had bikes that used all the advances the Vincent triumphed (pun intended) and that had been improved on and that HP had tripled for street bikes. They should be celebrated for their innovation in the same way chevrolet should be celebrated for bringing fuel injection to the American masses - by restoring them and using them and showing them off. Wax poetic about how the Phils were divine prophets of the future of a two wheeled revolution - it's a bit much.

I am going to say, hardly anybody is nostalgic about a Vincent. At least people are nostalgic about Vincents the way people are nostalgic about cords. I am nostalgic about a cord because my father's friend Frank had a 2 seat roadster and a four seat touring convertible and the year I got my license he let me drive the two seat roadster from his house to my parents right down mainstreet in montauk on a summer day. Since then I have been obsessed with cords and I get nostalgic for them. Frank used to ell me the reason he loved his Cords was that when he was 11 he saw one drive through his town piloted by a famous 30's movie star and it was the only time he ever saw one. You know what I have never met? someone else who had had that experience in their life. Yo know why? Cords are fucking rare. Same thing with vincents, there just aren't that many around so there just aren't that many people that are nostalgic for them. There are a lot of people however who romanticize them because of what they represent which is a lot of different things to different people depending on the age group. Romanticism makes people pay money for things, expensive things draw more desire by being rare and exclusive and the whole thing snowballs.

I used to hate Vincents and this romanticism until I rode one, and now I get it because it was a lot of fun and there are a lot of people out there who ache for that experience for one reason or another. I kinda get it now. I wouldn't go out and call them junk anymore that I would call a dusenberg junk, it's antiquated and that itself has its own charm. I think pointing out that a vincnet is slower than a UJM from the 80's is like poiting out that a honda pilot is faster and better handling than a ferrari 308 - it is the award winning captain obvious statement of all time to the point where you don't even need to say it, so it doesn't make you sound smart when you do.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like them because they are visually interesting and purposeful. Plus I am a sucker for anything different and weird. Hence the Buell in the first place. Also i don't mean that first part in some soul ride hipster creationist way. They are neat to look at (especially the valve boxes and contemplating how those were machined and just the entire design) and they look like a bike built to go fast in the era in which they lived.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The only problem I have with Vincents is how "overrated" they are. I have met some of the loveliest people who are actual Vincent owners (including Big Sid) and you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people who mostly believe these things should be ridden just like any other bike. However, there are people out there, most of whom I suspect that don't own Vincents, that have put this bike on a pedestal so high you'd think Jesus and Moses themselves chiseled the rapide out of the Rock of Ages.
The Vincent owners I know are mostly weird sad lonely jerks. And I personally know enough of them. The might be capable humans, very wealthy and knowledgeable. But they still are jerks. They were the same vacuous characters, decades ago. Nothing has changed in their lives, like ever. Just like they overrate and romanticise the Vincent, in their mind nothings changed, like them. It's strange how they all seem to have the exact same vibe, personality and behavioural traits.

BTW, That paragraph is not just concocted for conversational purposes, that's my experience.

I was going to buy a perfect Comet a year or so ago. I found something better to do, like make a curry or something.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
The Vincent owners I know are mostly fictional
Fixed it for you.

And I personally know enough of them. The might be capable humans, very wealthy and knowledgeable. But they still are jerks. They were the same vacuous characters, decades ago. Nothing has changed in their lives, like ever. Just like they overrate and romanticise the Vincent, in their mind nothings changed, like them. It's strange how they all seem to have the exact same vibe, personality and behavioural traits.

BTW, That paragraph is not just concocted for conversational purposes, that's my experience.
what's the old adage? If everyone you meet is an asshole, then maybe they aren't?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
" G--T-: Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post

The Vincent owners I know are mostly fictional "

That's frogshit G-.

I meet plenty of people who ain't A-holes. That's not the Vincent guys, I'm afraid.

As and matter of fact, about the biggest dickwad I ever did some simple M/C engineering for, was a Vincent owner. He had total distain and disrespect, no idea of the simplest motorcycle engineering at all. He was a son of a multi millionaire. He wore a big Vincent badge, but wouldn't admit what the parts were for. It was like dealing with a brain damaged secret agent during the cold war. The next time I see him, I'll fix his little problem and he knows it.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
Many are treating Vincents as more of an investment to be placed in a folder like a stock.
Less and less treating them like motorcycles

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Many are treating Vincents as more of an investment to be placed in a folder like a stock.
Less and less treating them like motorcycles
I know a guy who rides his Black Shadow pretty regularly. He can afford to blow it up, and rebuild it himself, if he held it at 110 for an hour, if he wanted to. But he just knows it's an old bike, he doesn't romanticize the whole deal. He's jerk, but not a dreamland idiot.

I think the worse toy fondlers are CBX club guys. I doubt any of them have ever ridden one in anger. Like Ever. I always make a point ( I've done it twice ) of asking them if I can have the key and do a few third gear wheelies and a burnout of two. The look you get is like you were going to rope and grope the Pope! Priceless.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I would treat a Vincent like a dirty cheap whore. Because that's how they were intended to be treated. Same as Duntov era Corvettes.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
So one wanta buy a cb1100f
kinda want this....lol

1979 Honda CBX 6 - Great Bike
They are twice the road bike that the CB1100F, and the CB1100R are. About three times the bike the later monoshock CBX is too.

Why you haven't got a CBX, beats me. One of the best Honda's ever made, and it sounds like a 911 stock, and a Ferrari with a 6 into 1. It avoids having to own Porsche or Ferrari junk to get some Ferrari Madness.

I don't know why, but I'd not be surprized if it's actually the later twin shock model that had been detuned about -20HP from the original 105.

Danger, is my business."

2301 - 2320 of 4230 Posts