Cafe Racer Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 4243 Posts

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Looks like the OP from the SOHC4 thread is not going to grab it.
So someone here want to?
I mentioned I would buy some parts?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
If you want a Sei to look at, fine. But I say avoid the things, the motor was a weak can of worms, from the start.

Danger, is my business."
To ride and look at, not to beat on. One more for the collection. I'll be sure and consult you before making any purchase though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I am drawn to the Sei as well. The engine is very visually appealing. And honestly, its probably a bit less work than a CBX to keep going.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I am drawn to the Sei as well. The engine is very visually appealing. And honestly, its probably a bit less work than a CBX to keep going.
Doubt it. How good can a Honda CB500Four based Italian six cylinder motor be? Not very. The 900 Sei was crap when new. Ain't got better in retirement.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Well I mean, you got the Sei. You got the CBX. You got the z1300, and you got the k1600. Thats pretty much it for inline sixers. The Sei is Italian with Honda bits inside. The Honda is a nightmare. Yes they are amazing, but 24 valve shims, six carbs of doom, all the demons of the DOHC 750/900/1100 fours, and relegating yourself to dropping the engine for lots of tasks puts you in 911 land. For that kind of self hate, you about as well get a porsche or a pacific coast. The z1300 is a pig every day of the week and the k1600 isnt really relevant anyway.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Well I mean, you got the Sei. You got the CBX. You got the z1300, and you got the k1600. Thats pretty much it for inline sixers. The Sei is Italian with Honda bits inside. The Honda is a nightmare. Yes they are amazing, but 24 valve shims, six carbs of doom, all the demons of the DOHC 750/900/1100 fours, and relegating yourself to dropping the engine for lots of tasks puts you in 911 land. For that kind of self hate, you about as well get a porsche or a pacific coast. The z1300 is a pig every day of the week and the k1600 isnt really relevant anyway.
With respect, That's nonsense. I owned a CBX and did mega high speed touring miles, and did near race speeds on sporting roads hundreds of times. They are not that hard to work on. In fact the CBX was one of the most reliable bikes I ever owned. I never had any issues with the carbs, at all. " six carbs of doom ", is crap. I fitted clutch plates and a primary chain later in it's life.

Pivoting the motor for top end work, or getting the cover off to do the valve measurements, makes it far easier to work on than the fours, not harder. I can get a CBX motor out of the frame, single handed, in around an hour, if I have to. No way in hell you could do it single handed, or in that time with a DOHC four.

Six Dell Orto carbs? Hell has no mercy there.

There are still plenty of lower miles CBXes out there. They might have faded paint, and need a new seat, but they are out there somewhere. They are way undervalued now.

Go ride one. It will either scare you to death, or scare you into loving the things.

Don't believe all the CBX stories from guys who couldn't ride one, or were scared shitless riding one or couldn't afford to buy one. They are a far better bike on the road than any DOHC Honda from the same era. And yes I have ridden most of them, the CB900F and the way overrated CB1100R included.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I adore the KZ1300. Didn't happen until I was given the a chance to ride one around 1984 or so. Pulling out of the parking lot, I was genuinely alarmed how forcefully it fell over into the first low-speed corner. For the first couple of miles, I thought it was a horrible motorcycle and a monstrously stupid concept. Then I got out on the freeway, just doing about 70-80, just steady-state high speed cruising. So smooth, so comfy, felt so solid. I wanted to just keep going and going. I could've headed straight for the opposite coast.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I adore the KZ1300. Didn't happen until I was given the a chance to ride one around 1984 or so. Pulling out of the parking lot, I was genuinely alarmed how forcefully it fell over into the first low-speed corner. For the first couple of miles, I thought it was a horrible motorcycle and a monstrously stupid concept. Then I got out on the freeway, just doing about 70-80, just steady-state high speed cruising. So smooth, so comfy, felt so solid. I wanted to just keep going and going. I could've headed straight for the opposite coast.
The Z13 is a great high speed super tourer. Like ride it for 24 hours @ 90MPH kind of super tourer. I've read of guys doing over 1500 miles ' non stop ', two up on them, with only gas stops. They tug sidecars, like they are not even there. They are three times the bike that the XS1100 is.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Don't think the Sei had six dels......only three on the ones I saw

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I know you are right. The expert is not sure how many.
I don't waste my time memorizing the details of crap motorcycles, like those of Planeta Sports, and Benelli Honda - copies. I just know to avoid them. That makes me the smartest guy in the room. :)

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I don't waste my time memorizing the details of crap motorcycles, like those of Planeta Sports, and Benelli Honda - copies. I just know to avoid them. That makes me the smartest guy in the room. :)

Danger, is my business."
Legend in your own mind, priceless.:rolleyes:

2341 - 2360 of 4243 Posts