Cafe Racer Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 4263 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I hate to say it but those early C4s just werent really great cars. The 84 was heavy and underpowered. 85 wasnt a lot better. They were all underpowered until the LT1 engines came around. Mine has the LT4 and is a last year C4. No options. As basic as possible, not even a glass roof.

The other factor is the human factor. Lots of folks went out and bought these and then the reality of getting in and out of it set in and they became garage queens. Plus for a long time tires were expensive. Really expensive.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Pretty on the outside, but god dang that's an ugly instrument panel.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
dang that's an ugly instrument panel.

You have to see one in action. In pics it loses it's dynamic appeal. Multicolored bars jumping up and down and those arcs of green - it's actually kind of neat to watch in person.

They were absolute crap quality but I have to applaud GM for taking risks and rethinking digital instrument clusters - part of the infotainment systems we have in cars today are because of stuff like this. up until this point the OEMs just looked at dashboards and said - what do airplanes look like? let's copy that. Airplanes have flat panels with gauges stuck in them with little emblishment for reference.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I just watched a Wheeler Dealers show. They just bought an 84 C4 and he just about got his leg wet from talking about the amazing horsepower that thing put out, a whole 206hp. Them boys don't know horsepower. I used to think, and rightly so in 86, my Mustang GT 5.0 with 205HP and a bunch of mods was a pretty performance oriented car. But now the new Mustang V6 puts out 300hp, and a factory 2013-14 Super Snake puts out 850hp. Makes 205 feel like a base Civic.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I just watched a Wheeler Dealers show. They just bought an 84 C4 and he just about got his leg wet from talking about the amazing horsepower that thing put out, a whole 206hp. Them boys don't know horsepower. I used to think, and rightly so in 86, my Mustang GT 5.0 with 205HP and a bunch of mods was a pretty performance oriented car. But now the new Mustang V6 puts out 300hp, and a factory 2013-14 Super Snake puts out 850hp. Makes 205 feel like a base Civic.
I love wheeler dealers... except for the one where they uglied up a fairly mint RX-7

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think GM was like "what should a spacecraft have for a dash"

How about the trofeo oldsmobile dash?

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
I had been thinking about a C4 as a road trip car for the girl and I.
I see them as more GTs then sports cars. The tune port is a nice engine and they can be made to make okay power.

Shocked that the ZR1s are still cheap.

Saw this.
I would want the Z51 package for the larger brakes.
They have a shape that has aged well.

FS: 1985 Chevy Corvette Manual

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
after the body change they all look like ZR1s.

My recommendation is go find a LT4 six speed car, cry once about the clutch and flywheel replacement and be happy. You can cover an incredible number of miles per day in one and if you pack well, you can carry anything you need for a weekend away. And lets face it, with the roof off, anywhere you are heading means you probably only need a few t shirts and swim trunks, she needs a couple of bikinis and a good soundtrack.

Edit: mine is equally at home as a GT or as a hooligan stop light car.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yea, at night when the ugliness of that dash is obscured, it's great.

2401 - 2420 of 4263 Posts