Cafe Racer Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 4243 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Seems like a lot of bike for the money.
2000 Ducati 748
Prices on that era superbike are in the toilet right now. You could buy a nice 996 for that price, maybe not with the carbon crap but for my money a stock 996 wins out over a farkled 748 biposto. Which is a long way of saying I'd be surprised if he gets that for it.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
I have been casually looking for a 996.
Really would like one.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This is not a craigslist find, in fact the image attached isnt even the actul bike I am talking about in this, but it is the same thing. And I just think its a cool little bike.
So a few years ago Im in at a local car used car dealer, this particular lot specializes in cool old cars as well as newer stuff. He also has a nice collection of personal cars and bikes. Anyway, I am walking through his showroom and almost trip and fall flat on my face while drooling over a beautiful Mach 1 Mustang. I look down and here is this little box with wheels, i had no idea what I was seeing. So I go and talk to Cook (the owner) and he tells me that back in the day Honda had an option of putting one of these in your car instead of a spare tire. Just pull it out of the trunk and un fold it and go get help. I think he said it had a range of maybe 30 miles. I couldn't convince him to sell it to me, I would never ride the thing, just think it would look good sitting on a shelf in my shop.

IMG_9573.JPG

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have been casually looking for a 996.
Really would like one.

For reference, this bike received zero interest at $6400 on numerous Ducati sites roughly one year ago. ZERO interest.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/bikes-sale/25081-2000-ducati-996-monoposto-one-owner-7200-miles.html

It may be for sale again later this year, I haven't decided yet. For what these bikes are worth I'm ok having it around just to look at.

EDIT: I just looked at the 748 ad again. I didn't bother reading it the first time... yeah, it's got some trick stuff on it. Not as overpriced as I first thought. But still, it's a biposto 748 with a bunch of carbon. I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it, pulled all the trick stuff off and put the stock parts back on, and resold it. Those wheels were stupid expensive IIRC. Might be a way to get a set at a discount.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
For reference, this bike received zero interest at $6400 on numerous Ducati sites roughly one year ago. ZERO interest.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/bikes-sale/25081-2000-ducati-996-monoposto-one-owner-7200-miles.html

It may be for sale again later this year, I haven't decided yet. For what these bikes are worth I'm ok having it around just to look at.

EDIT: I just looked at the 748 ad again. I didn't bother reading it the first time... yeah, it's got some trick stuff on it. Not as overpriced as I first thought. But still, it's a biposto 748 with a bunch of carbon. I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it, pulled all the trick stuff off and put the stock parts back on, and resold it. Those wheels were stupid expensive IIRC. Might be a way to get a set at a discount.
Zero interest? I mean I'm not a fan of the color, but it LOOKS like it's in good shape. Someone somewhere has got to be thinking "that's the bike for me"

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Zero interest? I mean I'm not a fan of the color, but it LOOKS like it's in good shape. Someone somewhere has got to be thinking "that's the bike for me"
Well sure, there were guys who liked the bike but no one wanted to spend any money on it. And by that I mean no one bothered to even make an offer. (It wasn't THAT much more than the typical asking price)

As for the color, the dealer had red in stock, I had him search to find me a yellow one. I'm sure there are some who wouldn't buy it since it isn't red but at the time I already had two red Ducatis, didn't want another one. I've got three red ones now so my feelings haven't changed! Also, I've said it here before I'm sure, but the red in 2000 didn't look as nice as earlier reds. To me, a red 996 doesn't look right, the color is off. My 907 damn near glows in the right light. Red 996's? Not so much. But that's just me, I get what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ive seen that before where a manufacture will change the pigment of the paint ever so slightly from one model to the next or year to year. Why they do this, who knows. For instance, bought a 15' Focus for the wife last year in this cool candy blue color. well now the 16' is out and the same color seems to have just a little more pop

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
That is a scam.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Looks like a fun little bike. Like riding a bicycle but faster and less peddling.

1974 Yamaha RD60A

3241 - 3260 of 4243 Posts