Cafe Racer Forum banner

941 - 960 of 4246 Posts

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
It says it is set up for a Triumph motor and the pictures show it in there but I wonder if it comes with the motor. Wording in the ad is not clear. My dad had a Benson Gyrocopter when I was a young kid. This ad doesn't say when the last time it flew,.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I bet a flight in that thing would be the most terrifying 10 seconds of your life. Also probably the last ten seconds of your life.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I honestly tried to get my buddy to go look at it. He's afraid he'll buy it and his wife will shit herself. I'm still working on him.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
if it was in GA i would go take a look. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bet a flight in that thing would be the most terrifying 10 seconds of your life. Also probably the last ten seconds of your life.
Yeah I was wondering how you would get replcaement rotors and stuff like that...
I'm pretty sure it wasn't flown too often because noone has the balls to fly it..

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Yeah I was wondering how you would get replcaement rotors and stuff like that...
I'm pretty sure it wasn't flown too often because noone has the balls to fly it..
I thought your number was 81 not 74 and you were posting this from jail.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Yeah who the fuck would want to fly something with a British engine?
Not like they have a rich history of aero engine building or something....

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Wonder what they did for a gear reduction unit to get the rpm's down enough to swing a prop ? That's always been the problem in trying to adapt an engine that wasn't initially designed for aircraft.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
lets admit it. most of us here are thinking we would probably try to fly the damn thing.

Reactions: ffarl

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think there is a chain going up the the gearbox at the rotor mast base.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
People from Long Island suck

you are the poster boy for that statement. Literally I haven't met anyone more Long Island than you. Except maybe that ugly guidette girl on "the Jersey Shore", you know the chick from Franklin Square.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The output on the gearbox wasn't designed for a thrust application which usually leads to a bearing failure and/or leakage.
How would you shift it? and what about the shock loads? What happens when you burn out a clutch? counter rotate back to earth?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
apparently you can still buy new kits:

Adams-Wilson Choppy Helicopter Parts

apparently the new ones use Rotax 503 engines certified for aircraft use.

FWIW, my father built a kit helicopter (Rotorway Scorpion Too) when I was a kid. He never flew it, sold it to some guy (I think he was a Dr.) who flew it once, supposedly scared himself stupid, and then donated it to the cradle of Aviation museum.

here is a pic of it (from someone else's photos) still on display.
3918466706_0bf21709ae_m.jpg

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
As Hunter S. Thompson bespoke of the Vincent.... "you will surely die"

941 - 960 of 4246 Posts