Cafe Racer Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 4243 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man I never seem to be able to find the good deals on craigslist. I find everything except for good deals on bikes. Anyone have some good tips for me ?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Man I never seem to be able to find the good deals on craigslist. I find everything except for good deals on bikes. Anyone have some good tips for me ?
You have to stay on top of it. CL listings can number in the hundreds per hour. Some people have apps. that notify them as soon as a listing for a bike they are interested in is posted. You have to have money in hand and be ready to deal at a moments notice because the good deals don't stay for long.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Thats a good price for a tonti framed crusier guzzi. Could make a hell of a custom racer out of it if he feels so inclined.
i'm sure mileage (83K) and condition had a bearing on the price. Sadly knowing my brother he has done nothing but increase the amount of projects he will never start or complete. I hope he services everything the way it is and just rides it so at last he will see some of it's worth. Maybe I will inherit it along with his 80 Ferrari Mondial, 69 Jag XKE, his sand cast Cb750, the KawaTon, Alfa's, etc. He is going on 63 and not in the best of shape and doesn't take care of himself.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
thats a bummer. Look at it this way, if you do inherit it toss it my way, I am desperate for a tonti framed guzzi but all I got is time.

When you say Alfa....you don't mean GTV do you?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
thats a bummer. Look at it this way, if you do inherit it toss it my way, I am desperate for a tonti framed guzzi but all I got is time.

When you say Alfa....you don't mean GTV do you?
You know I'm not sure which Alfa's he has, he has a few of them. He also has a few Chrysler Turbo LeBarons. I doubt I would let loose with the Guzzi before doing something with it. I would however get as much as I could for the sand cast as CB750's just don't do anything for me. I'd have to hang onto the Kawaton for it's uniqueness. I'd drive the shit out of the Mondial as long as I could afford maintenance on it. The Jag would be too valuable to drive as a daily driver.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The Jag would be too expesnive to fix after some ditz in an suv backs into it in the supermarket parking lot to drive as a daily driver.
Fixed it for you.

We have this discussion at work a lot. The guy who sits next to me has an aircooled 911. Its his only car. It's been snowing buckets and he drove to work today in it, where as I had trouble with the transfer case in the YJ wrangler and slid to work today mostly sideways (yelling yee haw the whole way, It's rare when I get to really exercise my Toyko drift skillz...LoL).

Cars are tools. It should be fun and engaging to drive and we should be using them as cars not as precious items. If I owned a Series 1 XKE coupe I am pretty sure I would use it as a daily driver, but I think I would just work from home on snow days. but then again, I think dents and such add character and my cars don't need to be super sano perfect (they shouldn't look like I live in a trailer park either).

maybe this should be another thread, but I am starting to get this bile that rises in the back of my throat when I hear people say "It's too valuable to use". No it isn't. It may be too life threatening in the case of an XKE in 6" of snow, but valuable - it's a freaking car.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Fixed it for you.

We have this discussion at work a lot. The guy who sits next to me has an aircooled 911. Its his only car. It's been snowing buckets and he drove to work today in it, where as I had trouble with the transfer case in the YJ wrangler and slid to work today mostly sideways (yelling yee haw the whole way, It's rare when I get to really exercise my Toyko drift skillz...LoL).

Cars are tools. It should be fun and engaging to drive and we should be using them as cars not as precious items. If I owned a Series 1 XKE coupe I am pretty sure I would use it as a daily driver, but I think I would just work from home on snow days. but then again, I think dents and such add character and my cars don't need to be super sano perfect (they shouldn't look like I live in a trailer park either).

maybe this should be another thread, but I am starting to get this bile that rises in the back of my throat when I hear people say "It's too valuable to use". No it isn't. It may be too life threatening in the case of an XKE in 6" of snow, but valuable - it's a freaking car.
Snow is not often a problem for him in Palmdale, Ca. He and I have had arguments about cars like that and owners who park them caddy corner across 2 parking spaces in the far end of the parking lot and get super pissed because some one in a rusted POS Gremlin parks legitimately in a parking space next to them as though they have some sort of entitlement just because they can afford a pricey ride. I say fuckem.:)

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Cars are made to be driven....
I have been fortunate enough to see some really amazing private car collections in the area.
It really does bother me when I see people that clearly have money, still worry about a car.
That said I also know a guy(though his mechanic) that has an epic ferrari collection. Even a 250GTO that sees a fair bit of road use!

worst guys are the ones at the local car shows with new SS or ZL1 F bodies. What a bunch of ass hats.
all the do is talk about them as show cars and how they are massive investments.
even funnier when one has a for sale price well north of MSRP for a used car!
I see them like people that invest in beanie babies or "collector edition" plates...

Reactions: Dean

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have corvettes. I have corvette projects I should say. Everyone is like "you should put that 68 in the garage and just drive it on special occasions". Believe in the after life, kharma, whatever you want, but I think Duntov's spirit grins a little every time an old Corvette is used in anger.

I have my own automotive lusts. Anything powered by a Miller engine, a Duesenberg, stuff like that. And I would drive every one I could afford to buy as much as possible.

The air cooled 911 will do pretty good in snow. Ground clearance is the limiting factor, just like old VWs.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Corvettes should always be used in anger. The problem with the c3's is that most of them aren't very angry. I think the L48 that came in the late 70's early 80's vettes could even be called cute and cuddly and playful kitten like.

Non car people have this stereotype that car people love their cars to the point that they baby them and like them more than humans. While I agree that most humans suck, real enthusiasts drive their cars, or their bikes. A lot. Beat on them actually. It's the main reason why we buy them, not to put miles on them in silent reflection but to have thoughts like "shit shit shit I'm going into the hedge....wait...tractions back...shit.....over corrected....say in it stay in it stay in it....bang fourth....what's that smell...clutch or brakes....shit I'm in to hot...heel toe, into third...cross control...stay in it..APEX!"

and and that's just my morning commute. When I'm in the goat all I hear is the drum intro for hot for teacher and sam kinison screaming inside my head.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I had a 1968 Mercury Cougar that was probably and 8 out of 10 in condition, bought it in west Texas on a job road trip in the mid-80's. I once used that car to tow my daughters broke down car appx. 60 miles with expired Texas lisc. plates. That's using a car.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
ducati 125cc stuff - vintage
x
flag
Posted: 8 days ago
ducati 125cc stuff - vintage - $600 (bentonville)

Up for sale are misc. parts for vintage Ducati 125cc . Rolling frame, complete engine, engine in parts, two different style gas tanks, headlight look at all pictures. Thanks for looking. asking $600.00 and call anytime
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4293542506
posted: 8 days ago
email to friend
best of

1241 - 1260 of 4243 Posts