Cafe Racer Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 4230 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
+1 Preferably an SB1 or (believe it or not) a Mantra. Although I'd paint the Mantra candy apple green and get a green leather gillman suit made. Then paint up a Simpson Bandit like the Creature from the Black Lagoon to ride around in.

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5498785/il_570xN.190835689.jpg
SB2's and DB1's look good and are well finished. Many other Bimotas look like cheap Jap kit bikes with bad finish and detailing. Have you ever seen a Mantra in the flesh?, they are pretty ugly, I've seen one.

You could always build a Kamen Rider theme SV650 for much the same effect.

kamen-rider-J-crosser.jpg

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I've thought of a set of similar spec Ohlins forks to put on the R1 to compliment the BST carbon wheels. Seriously expensive forks, but probably worth every cent. I'd rather a used set from a UK race team and get them rebuilt and sprung for the road by some mob like Maxton or Padgetts. A front end that is worth more than half the bike, is a little hard to justify. That said they are about the realistic high budget limit for a usable road bike front end without going to the extent of carbon discs. I can't see any reason for carbon discs on a road bike.

Desmosedicis are worth about half now of what they sold them for. They are basically too fast for road use, and just scare the hell out of the two riders I know. They will get to 150MPH quick just about anywhere. The red alloy motor mount by the riders knees is a sexy design bit and quite memorable. The only person that will buy that over-priced UK one is an Arab in Dubai.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I've thought of a set of similar spec Ohlins forks to put on the R1 to compliment the BST carbon wheels. Seriously expensive forks, but probably worth every cent. I'd rather a used set from a UK race team and get them rebuilt and sprung for the road by some mob like Maxton or Padgetts. A front end that is worth more than half the bike, is a little hard to justify. That said they are about the realistic high budget limit for a usable road bike front end without going to the extent of carbon discs. I can't see any reason for carbon discs on a road bike.

Desmosedicis are worth about half now of what they sold them for. They are basically too fast for road use, and just scare the hell out of the two riders I know. They will get to 150MPH quick just about anywhere. The red alloy motor mount by the riders knees is a sexy design bit and quite memorable. The only person that will buy that over-priced UK one is an Arab in Dubai.
"A front end that is worth more than half the bike" What bike are you referring to? The R1? a 2014 R1 only costs $1k more than those forks.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
"A front end that is worth more than half the bike" What bike are you referring to? The R1? a 2014 R1 only costs $1k more than those forks.
The value in the calculation is not fixed, forks worth more than 1/2 an R1 could be forks worth $50K, or just over 1/2 a R1, or any point upwards. I'm glad a literary slide rule that crunches letters and words was never invented. Communication in type is a vague and soft science.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
They are on the short list of bikes I want to buy now.

starting to some sell for silly money.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I have a weird aversion to shipping a bike I buy. Doesn't make a lot of sense I know.
Also I have one bike to many in the shop already.

1421 - 1440 of 4230 Posts