Cafe Racer Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 4230 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've never read so much bs in my life - the unstamped cases were shipped to the US (and maybe else wheres) to be used as replacement for cb750's that had thrown a chain and the engine case was damaged. The dealer would use these cases as a replacement and stamp the old case number on the new cases. There is nothing special about these cases...

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
If they were sand cast 650cc ones with Pops Yoshimura's thumbprint and some of his dyno room's spare rib sauce stains that would be another matter.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I turned down down a set at Mid O two years ago for $150.
they have a value, but to few people.
I have a friend in Chicago that turned a nice profit selling a set of unstamped T500 crankcases to Paul Miller. Mainly because it allowed him to fully restore a 68 Cobra to a numbers matching show winner. The very thing that would make a CB750 valuable (sandcast) would prevent these cases from being useful.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I have a friend in Chicago that turned a nice profit selling a set of unstamped T500 crankcases to Paul Miller. Mainly because it allowed him to fully restore a 68 Cobra to a numbers matching show winner. The very thing that would make a CB750 valuable (sandcast) would prevent these cases from being useful.
That Cobra you mention, is not a "matching numbers show winner", I say it's just a clump of eBay bits the guy has collected and fooled lazy judges who don't know what original Suzuki stamps look like. It's not a matching numbers bike, just a re-stamped bike that looks like an original one to the ignorant. It's seems faking originality has hit the motorcycle world like Ford GT40 replicas. I think it's a bit sad.

Sandcast or not, I don't think CB750s are valuable at all, but that's just me, maybe. I think they are heavy, slow, evil handling old junk.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
What you would pay for something has nothing to do with what others will.
sandcast 750s are $30k plus bikes. They are worth that because people keep buying them at that price.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That Cobra you mention, is not a "matching numbers show winner", I say it's just a clump of eBay bits the guy has collected and fooled lazy judges who don't know what original Suzuki stamps look like. It's not a matching numbers bike, just a re-stamped bike that looks like an original one to the ignorant. It's seems faking originality has hit the motorcycle world like Ford GT40 replicas. I think it's a bit sad.

Sandcast or not, I don't think CB750s are valuable at all, but that's just me, maybe. I think they are heavy, slow, evil handling old junk.
Perhaps. Of anybody Paul probably has the knowledge (and probably even a set of the old factory stamps) to make some unstamped cases look original. Technically replacement cases could be considered period correct so depending on the show, it may not have mattered.

So are you against restoring motorcycles in general? If you owned a desirable vintage motorcycle and had a stash of good NOS parts, would you refuse to fix it up because to you it would be "just a clump of eBay bits"?

Not a fan of CB750s in general either but I would not turn down the money I'd get selling them if I came across a barnful of them.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
What you would pay for something has nothing to do with what others will.
sandcast 750s are $30k plus bikes. They are worth that because people keep buying them at that price.
I understand how markets work. Worth is just what someone pays for something. Value is another matter entirely. I don't care if a sandcast bikes end up being worth 100K, it's just an old junk sixties bike, and always will be in my mind. The Western World's obsession with cute old junk is truly worrying, and viewing such junk as a worthy investment borders on tulip mania. It's like saying The World was a better place fifty years ago, and being too scared to move forward.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Perhaps. Of anybody Paul probably has the knowledge (and probably even a set of the old factory stamps) to make some unstamped cases look original. Technically replacement cases could be considered period correct so depending on the show, so it may not have mattered.

So are you against restoring motorcycles in general? If you owned a desirable vintage motorcycle and had a stash of good NOS parts, would you refuse to fix it up because to you it would be "just a clump of eBay bits"?

Not a fan of CB750s in general either but I would not turn down the money I'd get selling them if I cam across a barnful of them.
Stamping cases to make a bike look original is faking any originality that the bike may have possessed. To reiterate, the word is faking.

Restoring bikes is fine IMHO. But the trend of shining old turds to make them better than the day they ever left the factory is a truly strange pursuit. I'd rather see honest old unmolested bikes with a little faded paint and a small rip in the seat. Or perfect bikes that have been stored for decades high and dry.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Stamping cases to make a bike look original is faking any originality that the bike may have possessed. To reiterate, the word is faking.

Restoring bikes is fine IMHO. But the trend of shining old turds to make them better than the day they ever left the factory is a truly strange pursuit. I'd rather see honest old unmolested bikes with a little faded paint and a small rip in the seat. Or perfect bikes that have been stored for decades high and dry.
Is it faking if you advise judges or potential buyers that the cases have been replaced and restamped? Don't see the use in sidelining a bike that's nice in every other respect. And the dealer would have restamped the cases with the VIN on replacement anyway or even an entirely different number depending on that state's motor code. If you were to buy a bike that had a replacement case that the dealership stamped 20-30 years ago and previous owners between that time lost track of that fact, is it still faking?

As for the honest old unmolested bikes or perfect bikes stored for decades - those are starting to become rarer than rocking horse poo. For some marques it make do with what you can find or none at all.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Is it faking if you advise judges or potential buyers that the cases have been replaced and restamped? Don't see the use in sidelining a bike that's nice in every other respect. And the dealer would have restamped the cases with the VIN on replacement anyway or even an entirely different number depending on that state's motor code. If you were to buy a bike that had a replacement case that the dealership stamped 20-30 years ago and previous owners between that time lost track of that fact, is it still faking?

As for the honest old unmolested bikes or perfect bikes stored for decades - those are starting to become rarer than rocking horse poo. For some marques it make do with what you can find or none at all.
If a bike does not have the motor, frame or gearbox numbers it left the factory with it is a replica, not an original. Ten minutes using borrowed and incorrect number punches does not a classic make.

I knew of a guy that had a set of genuine Honda factory letter and number punches back in the day, but that's another story. I wonder how many bikes he stole and rebirthed and flipped them at a serious profit? He may even have been a high ranking Cop! (did I say that?, yep I guess I did!) .

1441 - 1460 of 4230 Posts