Cafe Racer Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 4227 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If a bike does not have the motor, frame or gearbox numbers it left the factory with it is a replica, not an original. Ten minutes using borrowed and incorrect number punches does not a classic make.
What's your perspective on automobiles that do the same? Or perhaps an even better example would be vintage aircraft? Is it no longer a P-51D if it's on it's 4th or 5th Merlin?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
What's your perspective on automobiles that do the same? Or perhaps an even better example would be vintage aircraft? Is it no longer a P-51D if it's on it's 4th or 5th Merlin?
I don't pass comment on aviation. I've know enough idiots personally that have flown straight into the dirt, stolen fighter planes or buzzed around in their helicopters in circles to know that they are all nuts and not worth talking to. Rather like owners of old Porsches or Go Kart drivers who have posters of Senna all over lounge room walls. You get more sense talking to a guy who lives under a bridge.

Airplanes are always collections of temporary parts waiting to come down. In one form or another. The numbers on components are only there for forensic purposes. Like later.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Nearly bought a VF1000R about 10 years ago. I test rode it for a weekend, and really liked it.
Before I got it back to the dealers to do the deal I saw a mint condition low mileage CBR1000 which I couldn't resist.
The VF's a beautiful looking bike though. If I remember correctly it had a very expensive carbon fibre fairing fitted.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Not a bad old bike. It looks fairly stock and not trashed or bashed by sliding down the road.

I have some more detailed pictures.
standard nicks, scratches and such.

not mint, but not beat to shit either.
saw a VF1000F sub $2k too.

did just buy a cb1100f that is stored in a friends garage because my shop is full....
so more bikes is a bad idea

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Nearly bought a VF1000R about 10 years ago. I test rode it for a weekend, and really liked it.
Before I got it back to the dealers to do the deal I saw a mint condition low mileage CBR1000 which I couldn't resist.
The VF's a beautiful looking bike though. If I remember correctly it had a very expensive carbon fibre fairing fitted.
Yep, I thought the same thing. I think the very first ones had the carbon one. I shudder to think what the price of one would be if Honda still has one in stock. I've seen the price of a new fairing listed at 3.5K Euros.

A friend has a good VF/R, I doubt he's going to be around for much longer, I might get it of him, or more likely from his nerdy sons cheap. I could have bought a stock RD500 very cheap about three years ago, don't remind me of that miss.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
This was the interceptor.

both would look great with my 1100f

- - - Updated - - -

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/4498526866.html

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
HONDA VF1000R 1985

guy said he would take $2300.

Remembered talking to the guy a long time ago. Was listed as super treat shape and I think $4500
tank has been replaced at some point.

so the same bike, now less money

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The VF/R is a bit crusty, but does not appear to have been crashed or butchered by an idiot. I like all the little nicks and scapes. I'd just clean it up a little and ride it with them.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Yeah, just seems like a standard used bike.
some times we get spoiled looking at small displacement 70s bikes that have little milage and perfect chrome "barn finds"

there is a place for perfect bike, but some time one with some ware makes for a much better rider.

im really kicking around both the VF1kR and the 1000 interceptor.
hell even found a honey hole of cb1100R bikes and parts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
For your sake, I did not say "neat stance" and "patina". It is indeed strange that people these days spend a lot of cash and time to make bikes look old and crusty, but avoid the genuine good crusty bikes to begin with.

That VF/R is like a high-end hooker that survived Times Square that has the tatts to prove it, does pool cleaning in The Hamptons to pay the rent, and looks better than the scarecrow ashtray trophy wives she works for.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Those VF1000Rs are seriously rare, and undervalued now. I paid $1500 for a fairly thrashed one that I'm slowly bringing back up to snuff. Something like 7000 of those bikes were made, worldwide. Parts are not easy to come by, but since the bikes were so expensive originally many of them were adult owned and well cared for. Except for mine which seems to have been repainted with latex house paint, over 3 other proper paint jobs.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
If you could put a stock motor in it and cook up some kind of title it could be a good little sport bike. As it is, it is probably a noisy, peaky little grenade that would be totally unridable around town.

Not worth 3K IMHO.
yea, if it were around 2k I might bight, but like you said, if that motor is in race trim it would probably be too much of a pain to ride regularly

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Looks like a bucket of awesome, and great story after riding it home.
after that kinda meh...lol

1461 - 1480 of 4227 Posts