Cafe Racer Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 4230 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I put that same seat on my CL350, and god it was MISERABLE. Shitty build quality, and my junk went numb after 20 minutes on the thing. It's mostly why I sold the bike.
But at least you were cool for that twenty minutes of wracked pain.

In Tokyo riding with that seat, at least you could go fight the butt-demons to prove your manhood, then go and get a good butt massage from an old housewife. Later, a fried axolotl, a nip of whisky, and then off for an erotic ear-cleaning by a girl who looks thirteen.

And people say that the Japs are mad! :D

Walking funny from butt-burn in Austin just gets the knowing nods from friends: "butt plug huh?" .

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
You'd have to ask, why bother fitting an XR motor into a CB360 frame? The XR600 motor is a good one, but the 360 chassis is basically flexy, heavy, old junk.

You could get a GB250, a GB400TT or a XBR500 or GB500TT and have a far better bike. The dohc Honda GB250s are surprisingly fast. BTW, Soichiro Honda was involved in the design of the GB250, they were serious.

Why go to all that trouble just to build an SR500-looking replica?

You could just get a SR500 to play with, and they have far better frames to start with.

The modern café racer fashion only plays around with small CBs because the are cheap, not because they are any good. The same goes for CX500s.

Danger, is my business.
Under Normal circumstances I would agree with you, but I am also a big fan of engine swaps and like to see people experiment with them sometimes. I would bee more excited if it was a cb350 frame with normal AHRMA/WERA/USCRA race prepping but eh....can't win them all. So I guess I like the concept, just not the execution in this case.

For the record I think cb350s are quite good, but then again they only are because they were cheap and people picked them to build a cheap bike racing class around.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I've heard from guys in Victoria (state of Auz), say that it's the nanny-state of all nanny-states. More warning signs per mile than any blacktop road on Earth, like every damn half mile. Like everywhere, even out in the desert. At least East Germans had some style.

No way in hell that that bike has a legit title, unless his father works at the DMV. Or his GF that month.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
52 Posts
build thread-- Bare Metal CB360 Custom Tracker/Brat???? - Page 6

yes, laws are pretty strict regarding modifications. not as bad as germany, but quite restricted and the penalties are not just a slap on the wrist.
putting the xr600 engine in makes sense because they're fairly inexpensive here, (~$1000) and often bodywork and wiring is trashed, but engines are ok. (if you can find one which hasn't had a gear shifter welded back on) plus then could sell most parts for about $500.
whereas finding a replacement cb360 in running condition would be basically impossible, you'd have to buy a whole bike, which running might cost about $2000.
but i don't think it will ever be legally registerable, except maybe as a 'replica' on club plates.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
build thread-- Bare Metal CB360 Custom Tracker/Brat???? - Page 6

yes, laws are pretty strict regarding modifications. not as bad as germany, but quite restricted and the penalties are not just a slap on the wrist.
putting the xr600 engine in makes sense because they're fairly inexpensive here, (~$1000) and often bodywork and wiring is trashed, but engines are ok. (if you can find one which hasn't had a gear shifter welded back on) plus then could sell most parts for about $500.
whereas finding a replacement cb360 in running condition would be basically impossible, you'd have to buy a whole bike, which running might cost about $2000.
but i don't think it will ever be legally registerable, except maybe as a 'replica' on club plates.
From the eBay ad:

Bike is not engineered, but that can be done for $800 extra or you could put it on club rego.
I'd say as long as you could get a licensed engineer to tick the boxes the rest would be pretty easy.....although that wouldn't be a walk in the park with no fenders, clown shoes, etc...

For what it's worth NSW has become the most stringent of states now since they no longer allow "repairable" write-offs to be re-registered there. Kinda makes the term "repairable" a bit moot.....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
For what it's worth NSW has become the most stringent of states now since they no longer allow "repairable" write-offs to be re-registered there. Kinda makes the term "repairable" a bit moot.....
I think am going to stop complaining about Missouri's draconian motorcycle titling statutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From the eBay ad:

I'd say as long as you could get a licensed engineer to tick the boxes the rest would be pretty easy.....although that wouldn't be a walk in the park with no fenders, clown shoes, etc...

i imagine there will be a lot of scratched up bikes getting sent interstate then.
finding an engineer who will sign off on the brackets added to the frame might be hard, i've heard they don't like approving things retrospectively. if the builder is a race car fabricator as the build thread indicates, then they should have the contacts to get it approved much easier then the average joe.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Yamaha DT250 MX White | Oxford | Gumtree

Potential freaking bargain on Gumtree at the moment depending how long its been sat..tbh its a bit of a bargain anyway, saw a minute one of these for 2800 in town sell recently
It might be a bargain, the monocross DT250/400s are O.K. The 250 has a flexy frame, is heavy and has a slow motor. The 250 is smooth enough to use on the road though.

But it's not a DT250MX, as far as I can see. It's the model before it, by the straight leg forks, the MX had leading axle forks. "MX" here does not really mean Motocross when it comes to this bike, BTW, the last DTs were always a soft trailbikes.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It might be a bargain, the monocross DT250/400s are O.K. The 250 has a flexy frame, is heavy and has a slow motor. The 250 is smooth enough to use on the road though.

But it's not a DT250MX, as far as I can see. It's the model before it, by the straight leg forks, the MX had leading axle forks. "MX" here does not really mean Motocross when it comes to this bike, BTW, the last DTs were always a soft trailbikes.

Danger, is my business.
Not thinking about it as the base for any sort of high performance motorcycle, just as a good deal (as the title of the thread suggests). End of the day these old trail bikes are pretty collectible as they are the sort of bike that a lot of 80s and 90s kids first got their legs over. Mates put an offer in, though I suspect it might have already been sold.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
i imagine there will be a lot of scratched up bikes getting sent interstate then.
finding an engineer who will sign off on the brackets added to the frame might be hard, i've heard they don't like approving things retrospectively. if the builder is a race car fabricator as the build thread indicates, then they should have the contacts to get it approved much easier then the average joe.

Great avitar. Love Kamma Scarabs !
ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
How much does he want for it?

Danger, is my business.
More than you're willing to spend.

Its not for sale. Dont ask.

Although a cool story is that supposedly a crate 80's 50b? honda 50z? One of em supposedly sold for over 80k USD on the auction. Crate bikes are rare. Especially when you could only buy 2 of these bikes at once. No more. No less. 2 per crate.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
More than you're willing to spend.

Its not for sale. Dont ask.

Although a cool story is that supposedly a crate 80's 50b? honda 50z? One of em supposedly sold for over 80k USD on the auction. Crate bikes are rare. Especially when you could only buy 2 of these bikes at once. No more. No less. 2 per crate.
I was going to get a friend to ship one from about a thousand miles away, a month or so ago. after I phoned him, the sale disappeared for no real reason. I had my 6.5K ready.

I'll get one soon enough. They are the ideal indoor toy to collect dust.

Danger, is my business.

1621 - 1640 of 4230 Posts