Cafe Racer Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 4246 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Has anyone ridden one? When I had a Rocket 3 many years ago, a guy in the next street had an X75. I admit that I lusted after that bike almost as much as I lusted after his sister, but as a motorcycle it wasn't anything special. OK so my rocket 3 had been ported and blue printed etc and it was pretty fast, and as a thing to ride, it was a better bike than the X75. BUT it didn't look anywhere near as cool.

I used to think they were heavy bikes - until I got a Suzuki GT750 that is :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nothing too extravagant, just a fixed wing microlight. Mate of mine from the Lightning preservation group asked if I fancy building one with him. I can work on one and hanger it in my workshop plus I have a paddock long enough to take off and land at home. That`s the main reason to go for that type of aircraft really, plus theyre not too expensive.

Picking an old one up in the spring to restore and that will be next thing to tinker with. He works in an aerospace engineering shop, so between us, it should be a cool project.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Nothing too extravagant, just a fixed wing microlight. Mate of mine from the Lightning preservation group asked if I fancy building one with him. I can work on one and hanger it in my workshop plus I have a paddock long enough to take off and land at home. That`s the main reason to go for that type of aircraft really, plus theyre not too expensive.

Picking an old one up in the spring to restore and that will be next thing to tinker with. He works in an aerospace engineering shop, so between us, it should be a cool project.
AWESOME!!!!!

make a project post here.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Will do. Helped a few friends to drop (you cant imagine how tight a fit it is) the engine back into this Lightning last year. Its one of a pair and both are used for taxi runs fairly regularly.

IMG00028-20130223-1324.jpg

Junior sits in the cockpit while it gets towed out.

IMG00030-20130223-1325.jpg

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Very cool.
Privately owned?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Very cool.
Privately owned?
Small group of guys got together in the late 1980`s and managed to purchase one from the MOD for just about scrap money. They had it flown in and keep it at Bruntingthorpe, which was a WW2 Bomber base. Its now used as a testing ground and an car auction site, but the run ways are still maintained and the owner of the site is an enthusiast. He also has a controlling share of the Vulcan, which is still just about flying.

Didnt help when the Vulcan was run up a while back and one of the ground crew left a Silica bag around which took out both engines. Anyway, the Lightning guys, around 12 of them, had support from ex RAF engineers, who said the best way of preservation was to keep them running and thats what they keep doing. They picked up another, keeping them parked outside until they managed to blag a Quick Response hanger from a de-commissioned air base. Everything is maintained by fundraising, and a monthly contribution from the members, who are getting pretty old now. Owner of the site doesnt charge rent, so it helps out massively.

Just bought 2 x Zero hour engines from Canada, so they intend to keep them running for some time yet. It causes a bit of tension as its a lot of risk, for what is still a group of guys running a cold war jet.

Same site has similar groups owning and running a Victor (actually took off inadvertantly a while back), Nimrod, Sea Vixen, Buccaneers (4 running), Comet There`s allsorts of other stuff, plus just statics too.

The Lightning Preservation Group

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you ever want to be blown away by an English Electric Lightning, read up on XR749. Apparently a "hot rodded" lightning it was known for being the only intercept aircraft to catch and overtake the concorde, as well as intercepting a U2 spy plane. Additionally it managed to climb to a record 88,000 feet (ballistic climb not sustained flight) .

Panoramio - Photo of English Electric/BAC Lightning F.3 XR749 at Score Plc, Peterhead.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thrust SSC.jpg

For low speed testing - up to 300 mph, they ran Thrust SSC on Lightning tyres as they are pretty narrow. Richard Noble got in touch with the group and donated all the spare tyres he didnt use after they set their land speed record.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I remember seeing Lightnings take off and stand on their tails at Leuchers a few (!!!) years ago. First engine I worked on at RR back in about 1968 were AVON Mk.200 series IIRC. I want to say the motors we were overhauling were from Canberras, but it was so long ago, I am not 100%. I do recall strip[ping a bird strike motor and not much came out of the cold end or the hot end that was useable.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember seeing Lightnings take off and stand on their tails at Leuchers a few (!!!) years ago. First engine I worked on at RR back in about 1968 were AVON Mk.200 series IIRC. I want to say the motors we were overhauling were from Canberras, but it was so long ago, I am not 100%. I do recall strip[ping a bird strike motor and not much came out of the cold end or the hot end that was useable.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
[h=2] Hodakas Road Toad Dirt Squirt Ace100 - $1200 (Hamburg )[/h]

3 Hodakas in various conditions with some manuals. $1,200 or offer. Look at the pictures what you see is what you get. No trades. Delivery available.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Interesting, but to many questions....

1861 - 1880 of 4246 Posts