Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
thats great! who dat? you on that bike? you could lose a Chuck to that belt mister!
why are there no mountains? i'm not used to that.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
That isn't a belt, its the old style Kick start only stamped tin primary case in the original black paint finish.
Also, for KoiHoshi, the upside down H-D patch is to symbolize that the company is a dire trouble. Once was, flying a ship's flag upside down meant the ship was in peril. Flying the H-D logo upside down is reflects many owner's opinions that the company has abandoned its loyal customers and is only pandering to the rich, fogetting the core bikers.

dave
Ace of Clubs

Drifter
Ace of Clubs

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thanks drifter. i was too lazy to explain it.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
boots?
brains?
yeah, i know i sound like an old man.
-parks
ps looks like he left a couple darkies on earlier tries

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i dont think those are his darkies. my guess is hes not going too fast. but having your knee out like that on pavement is frightening. no thanks.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I did that once on the 86 ninja with nothing on but jeans and a t-shirt. Left a nice neat blood smear right through the apex. never again.

I just want to know why the clutch is in on that harley? Coasting through with his knee down?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
how can you tell the clutch is in? his foots not even on it.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joe c

how can you tell the clutch is in? his foots not even on it.

jc
Something I learned from henry at the Javits show this year.....

...on some tank shift harleys there is no return spring on the clutch foot pedal. Wherever you take your foot of the clutch pedal that is where it stays. On his bike the forward clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor board meaning the clutch is in.

Looking at his setup in the pics - it looks like a return spring has been added to the pedal , but his toes are underneath the rear pedal holding it up (and thus the clutch in).

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote:Looking at his setup in the pics - it looks like a return spring has been added to the pedal , but his toes are underneath the rear pedal holding it up (and thus the clutch in).
I LOVE GEETS!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Drifter

That isn't a belt, its the old style Kick start only stamped tin primary case in the original black paint finish.
Also, for KoiHoshi, the upside down H-D patch is to symbolize that the company is a dire trouble. Once was, flying a ship's flag upside down meant the ship was in peril. Flying the H-D logo upside down is reflects many owner's opinions that the company has abandoned its loyal customers and is only pandering to the rich, fogetting the core bikers.

dave
Ace of Clubs

Drifter
Ace of Clubs
Awesome information. Once again learning something new here every day ;)

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
My old 45 flattie had an adjustable friction device on the clutch pedal...you could adjust it to remain in position as was typical, or loosen it up to return. Didn't work so good when it was loose.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Geeto67, he didn't add a return spring, he is running a mousetrap setup. the mousetrap is spring loaded to reduce the amount of pressure needed to disengage the clutch, especially when running heavy clutch springs. They were also used in the early hand clutch setups. The spring is just to aid the mousetrap, but the treadle still remains in whatever position you put it in. And, DUH, I totally missed that the chutch is disengaged! Must be coasting through the corner.

Dave
Ace of Clubs

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Drifter

Geeto67, he didn't add a return spring, he is running a mousetrap setup. the mousetrap is spring loaded to reduce the amount of pressure needed to disengage the clutch, especially when running heavy clutch springs. They were also used in the early hand clutch setups. The spring is just to aid the mousetrap, but the treadle still remains in whatever position you put it in. And, DUH, I totally missed that the chutch is disengaged! Must be coasting through the corner.

Dave
Ace of Clubs
I wasn't sure if that was a mousetrap setup or not as most of the ones I have seen were mounted higher up and chrome....I should state right now that I really don't profess to know anything about old harleys other than like everybody else I lust crazily after old ones and generally dislike any made after the evo went out of production in bikes.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
the only one (hardly maidenson) i can look at with out the inckling of a dry heave is the xlcr.
and if i had one, i wouldn't coast in the corners.
or ride with sneakers.
-parks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wasn't sure if that was a mousetrap setup or not as most of the ones I have seen were mounted higher up and chrome....I should state right now that I really don't profess to know anything about old harleys other than like everybody else I lust crazily after old ones and generally dislike any made after the evo went out of production in bikes.
[/quote]

I should know my old H-Ds. I rode them for 35 years before I got some sense!:) The original mousetrap was the unit on the foot clutches (really was a friction clutch itself to help the clutch from shifting in or out and aid in actuating it) and was later modified by the factory and a chrome cover added when they wwent to hand clutch levers. Then old Harleys are nice, but poorly made (leak, break, low mileage before rebuild is needed, etc.) but they do have class! My oldest was a 51 and my favorite as well. I completely rebuilt her 3 different times in 3 different configurations. Now I am working on my 1982 Yamaha Seca 650 and dreaming of a Bonneville.

Dave
Ace of Clubs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts