Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
hey guys, i found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=280033672365&ih=018&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

and was thinking this was a good cafe racer project...is this a good deal?? i want something to work on, take the engine out and do a rebuild to make it strong...is there any tips or tricks i need to watch out for in the norton 750s??? and weak spots etc.??

thanks
Bike looks like it was hit hard in front (forks look bent? hell I can see they are bent from those crappy pics).

First thing I can say about norton onwership is: Be prepared for it to be expensive. Brit bikes in general are not cheap but nortons tend to be more than triumphs and BSA's. I betcha that bucket gets close to $1500 again in bidding.

Second thing I can say about norton ownership is: Be prepared to rewire the entire bike with modern stuff. They don'tcall lucas the prince of darkness for no reason. Once you have purged the lucas deamon from the bike, they aren't bad.

third thing I can say about norton ownership is: Know what it is you are looking at. Find a decoder book Or online numbers list) and e-mail the guy for the numbers. If it has a combat motor (I suspect it did at one point but doesn't now) you probably should rebuild the bottom end as those motors were pretty high strung. You also don't want to overpay for a later low compression motor.

colorado norton works can hook you up with all you need. Some of their stuff is a little chopperish but they build cool bikes.

expect that when you are done you will have touched every nut and bolt on that bike. Also don't be surprised if you have between $4000 and $8000 into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what years were the lower compression engines??

also, im trying to build a good performing cafe racer, not a show room motorcycle...but definitely british...should i look for triumphs instead because of theyre cheaper and more reliable??

i just found this project and thought i could build a cafe racer thats not too expensive, ill be driving this a lot, so is the norton motor not a good idea??

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
what years were the lower compression engines??

also, im trying to build a good performing cafe racer, not a show room motorcycle...but definitely british...should i look for triumphs instead because of theyre cheaper and more reliable??

i just found this project and thought i could build a cafe racer thats not too expensive, ill be driving this a lot, so is the norton motor not a good idea??

buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nort...22QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6714QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seriously, if it is a brit bike you want, then go for it. Brit bikes are the origin of the cafe racers, so there is some cache in a real brit bike cafe. A Triumph won't cost that much less, and nothing has the coolness a norton does.

If you are looking to do it cheap buy a jap bike. Brit bikes aren't that bad cost wise when you compare them to harleys, but they aren't like jap bikes either.

Figure out what bike you like, budget for it using market prices and catalog parts prices, and then make it happen. When you shoot blindly at any bike you never know what kind of costs are involved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that bike is nice, but its already done...i want something to work on and build myself..

i love the way nortons look and they do have the coolness factor...ive been researching and i think that i can build a nice performing cafe racer out of a norton for around $5k...it wont be perfert or show room, but it will get the job done, and thats what the whole mentality of the old cafes used to be...GO FAST instead of look pretty

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
that bike is nice, but its already done...i want something to work on and build myself..

i love the way nortons look and they do have the coolness factor...ive been researching and i think that i can build a nice performing cafe racer out of a norton for around $5k...it wont be perfert or show room, but it will get the job done, and thats what the whole mentality of the old cafes used to be...GO FAST instead of look pretty
Don't buy a project bike sight unseen. If you plan on paying over $1000 for this norton go look at it. Go to your local bike shop and post fliers aout what you are looking for, talk to old timers. What you are looking for is bound to come up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats true, i should go see it, but i wont be able to because the auction ends in 6 hours and i live 13 hours away from it...i was planning on taking the engine out and doing a full rebuild, but i guess taking a look at it will be smarter because ill know if the rebuild would be a quick one or a total expensive re-do...i just have to discipline myself to be patient haha but i want to start working on something now!!!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My idea for my next race bike is to build a BSA A10, maybe an A65. I like the idea of the non-unit engine so I could run it in more classes. I used to work with a guy that swore by the A65s. He used to ride one every day with no issues. If I set one up for AHRMA Formula 750 or Bears It would also be a cool cafe street bike. I think I am just going to start collecting parts off of Egay until I have more than enough for a race bike.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
an hour left and still under $1000 - soembody better step up to the plate. If I wasn;t having money trouble right now I would, a norton motor and frame is worth $1000 to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DAMMIT!!!! i got out-bid at the last SECOND!!! man i was so excited about the new project, damn, i guess i have to wait for another one to come along

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
wow. The guy has a TYTLE.

That was a bargain for a Norton project, but let me tell you, after taking apart Nortons for a few years, I'll never own one again. (I did put them back together again . . .)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
wow. The guy has a TYTLE.

That was a bargain for a Norton project, but let me tell you, after taking apart Nortons for a few years, I'll never own one again. (I did put them back together again . . .)
$1325 for a norton with bent forks and an unknown engine just seems like an ok price to me - not a bargain.

Keep looking and sooner or later you'll find the bike you are looking for. The best deals are not to be found on ebay, they are to be found by working your local community - someone has to have an old one in their garage and eventually you'll stumble on to it. Back in the 90's I bought my nearly pristine 72 commando for $2000 by doing that, my buddy got his 1969 bonniville the sam way for $800, and a friend of ours scored a 1972 ducati GT - barn fresh for $900. The stuff is out there, you just gotta make the right connections.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts