Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a freindly reminder/suggestion, as the close of the season approaches, to go over your bikes in search of cracks. Doing a careful cleaning now will afford the full off season to make repairs or find replacements. During the ltsv race last labor day, my rear hub failed. Because the o.e. hub I run is a "boat anchor" used on many motocross bikes in the day, it had missed my regular inspections after the bearing replacement two winters ago. While many other parts on my Metralla would seem to be at higher risk of stress failure and get frequent look overs, this one totally surprised me and gave me a bit of a shudder. April '07 should be a time of admiring your winters' upgrades and touching up paint jobs. Rushing to prepare for the Vintage Celebration may at best find you scrambling to fix a surprise or at worst missing a problem which could ruin your first weekend of racing.
Parks

P.S. The giro was the balls. George, all the volunteers, fellow riders, and of course Bob, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and I love you all (most of you anyway). It was an absolute highlight this season for me and I'll be grinning about it for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yep...found a crack on Mary's 50 this summer. Had to change frames. I rode it once year before last, pretty sure that's what did it in. In fact, it was more than a crack...it was a break, tucked in nicely behind the engine where you'd really have to look hard to find it.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
yup . . found a crack on the aluminum swingarm two weeks ago , ,, had it welded up. Never woulda seen it unless SOMEONE ELSE looked over my bike. Get it?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
honda is together...see ya at frontier party. nothing like pputting a bike together for the last meet of the season.

dude

ps.... before you go mounting your new engine into your frame.... be sure to check valve clearances. that way you don't have tear your motor down and put it back into the frame two times

1 - 6 of 6 Posts