Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Here is my project bike I picked up yesterday, 1973 CB450. It was cheap, the engine turns over but doesn't run, most everything is there. It has been sitting since 2000 and it has some janky frame mod, I guess someone wanted the seat lower so they cut and re-welded 2 frame sections. It can be fixed but I would like to find another frame.

It came with a custom seat (pictured) I am willing to part with it so if anyone is interested, let me know (you pay shipping):).

I am excited to get started and I will keep you all updated with my progress.

If anyone has any suggestions, tips, hints, jokes, etc. please post em up.

Also if anyone knows where I can download a service manual... that would rule!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the frame mod is called "konging" the frame, or atleast that is what they call it over at the honda choppers board. If done right it should not affect rigidity and can be put to your advantage making the bike appear lower while maintaining stock suspension geometry. if done poorly your frame will creak like grandma's garden gate.

Personally I have always wanted to make a boattail back out of an HD dyna wide glide rear fender and this kind of drop frame mod would be well suited to that.

before you bother getting another frame - get the bike running and sorted out, this way you are not chasing old gremlins before you swap frames.

I'm curious as to what you paid for it. Most newbies seem to buy some real shit for ok prices, since the bike does not look like real shit I'm curious to see where it stacks up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid 120 bucks.

I had been trolling Craigslist for weeks looking for something that was not a complete basket case yet still inexpensive. This guy was moving and just wanted it gone.

I also live in Washington state and it is a challenge to find a bike that has not been stored outside under a tarp or just sitting in the rain rusting.

My first step is going to be to douche the bottom end with some oil, the tank with some fresh gas and a new battery and see if I can get it going. If I can avoid a engine rebuild, that would be nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, that seat's a keeper - I can't believe you would consider parting with it! If you ever bought a donkey, it'd make a swell saddle.

Where the hell are all my 10mm wrenches?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
the seat looks like the old owner cut off the arm to his lazy-boy and bolted it on.

texy

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
$120 is a really nice price. I would venture to say that the motor is worth that alone if it has not real problems.

good job

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:
Wow, that seat's a keeper - I can't believe you would consider parting with it!
I am new here and trying to make friends.

Genuine Naugahyde!

You know how many nauga's had to die to make that seat?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
First check points clean with fine sand paper,clean carbs.and clean gas use a plastic gas tank till you get it running.Take and throw the seat away you will feel so much better.take a picture of what you have left many here have a frame they can cut and give you to make yours whole...or look on ebay for frame they are a dime a dozen and ship cheap.a Titled frame is harder to get I dont know if your state is pickie like other states are about titles.Great BIKE anothe 450 twin .It most likly needs a good carb and points cleaning and will start with fresh gas from a plastic tank.a fresh batttery and a cheap charger from wal mart will do .

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you could even retro fit the earlier chrome side cover tank they are on ebay alot black bomber tank or a mild mod on the tank mounts for a cx500 tank anyway great bike and welcome to the fold.
Is that seat in the trash yet ...do it now ..I mean right now you will feel so much better....have you done it yet!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The seat is in the trash (sorry to all of those that were planning to bid).

Thanks for the tips!

I got the Clymers manual and I am proceeding out to the garage to start the battery charging and begin the carb disassembly and cleaning.

I actually just found a guy today that has a frame w/ title, he is asking 50.00 so I may go check that out. I think taking parts from one frame, cleaning, rebuilding and installing on the other frame may help this project get legs.

thanks again guys, I am pretty stoked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
50 bucks with title! Add that to a 150 dollar bike and you got a great project. I wish my project bike was a 450 instead of a 360. Ah well, make do with watcha got I guess... Have fun.

Where the hell are all my 10mm wrenches?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Id like to see how far you could throw those crash bars away from your bike..At www.oldbikebarn.com I got a set of short pipes they were 45. dollars each they are shorter lighter then the stock bazookas and give room for rear sets.They even had nice red paint inside which matched "War Horses " red stripes .Glass from the Past has seats a good buy and choice of style.Clubmans if you havent ridden cafe styled bikes yet ..just because the cb450 twin is top heavey and takes a little to get used to where the weight is hunched over the cool as hell cx500 tank.seriuosly any tank the bike is ruff at low end and smoothes out in the mid to upper range thats normal.
I paid nothing for mine it had 6000 miles on it,but looked like what you have minus the barcolounger.I used the back of the original tank to for the hump of the rear seat.

http://www.backallycustoms.com/cb 450 cafe racer.html

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
two killer tanks for this bike are the cx500 and the older black bomber tank.then a solo seat ,clubmans then work on rear sets .and shortys.
I lowered my battery box by removing the tool box and rewelding the brackets for the electric bits that hang off it,to clean up that area and added leg brackets to the engine mount plate on the frame.I used the original batterry box just cut it and rewelded it to look better and to get some of the clunky look out of it .I sold the side covers on ebay for the purests I like the racer look of no covers,that also freed up some room for airfilters.rethinking it now I would have got an even smaller battery to take less space but Im happy with the result.
Just thought a smaller battery would give even more space ,well a little more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the seat (obviously) and the tank off last night. Checked the oil (clean) points (no crud and well adjusted and did a one handed compression test. The engine seems to be mechanically sound so far.

I have the battery charging and I am going to try to start it up this evening.

The wiring is an absolute catastrophe I would estimate bullet connectors every 4 inches and about 27 rolls of black electrical tape....

Getting the Fonzie mirrors off and taking the duct tape off the headlight allowed me to get a slight vision of where this bike is going (If I step back about 30 ft and blurr my eyes).

·
Registered
138 Posts
dude that looks like poop... i have the frame for that bike. stripped down and sitting in my basement....nothins been done to it except stripped....

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ebay yourself a wiring harness its the best way to go,its the way to go .I bought one for nine dollars for my 360 and it was like awesome condition for a old harness was better then my chopped and fixed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh my gawd!

I just got back from buying a frame from a guy that sells used japanese bike parts, he is moving out of his current location and has TONS (literally) of stuff.

Picked up a new frame (w/title, shocks, swingarm), wiring harness, and battery box all together for 75 bucks.

Nothing is stopping me now, the frame swap will begin immediately.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts