Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Frame stripped down, swingarm, center stand, etc. removed... Now I need to get it blasted ad ready for powder coat or paint.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ditch the kick stand get it off the frame with a ziz wheel keep the center stand very cafe when parked.The kick stand is heavey lump and looks UGH!I just kept my center stand great for looks and great for repairs.
does that guy have ebay store or web address.did he have any black bomber or cx500 tanks?

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
He did have a cx500 tank but I opted to not overspend at the moment. I found him from a craigslist ad, I am sure he will ship as this appears to be his bread and butter. He is moving out of his old location so he is really blowing stuff out.

here is the ad.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/356283346.html

Yeah, Kickstand is going...tonight

Edited by - marz on Jun 21 2007 7:03:40 PM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
good man ..cafe the nation and another cb450 twin owner on this site is awesome I think we have about six people here, with the cb450 twin in the garage.I do like mine ,its so vintage and modern and Good to look at and fun to ride.
I just may have to get a new ducati after this ...if I wanted something new and cafe and awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
bah, I'm keeping my kickstand but ditching the centerstand on my CB450 - that thing is tippy as hell and visually adds 60 pounds to the bike. It's also a bitch to get the bike up on it on concrete flooring.

But that CX500 tank I bought (on LilBull's advice) is going to look freaking sweet once it's on.

My own project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here are a couple of update pics;

The teardown is coming along, I am planning on pulling the engine this weekend. As you can see this frame had been modified for shot legs or to be a wannabe Hogg. I carefully removed the old harness that was one of the most amazing messes of connectors and tape I have ever seen... so a few more things and the engine will be on the bench for a new head gasket and the carb rebuild.

and the frontside....

Here is the new frame, swingarm and battery box ready to be taken to the sandblasterlater today;

Edited by - marz on Jun 22 2007 2:36:54 PM

Edited by - marz on Jun 22 2007 2:37:40 PM

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks like u are making some killer progress.
Keep it up, from one CB450 owner to another...

ProTeal55
Member: Ton-Up Club Chicago
1972 CB750 Hooligan/Street Fighter -4 SALE !
1974 CB/CL450 Cafe/Bar/Stripclub Racer
1955 Chevrolet Bel-Air Hardtop

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
quote:
Looks like u are making some killer progress.
Keep it up, from one CB450 owner to another...

ProTeal55
Member: Ton-Up Club Chicago
1972 CB750 Hooligan/Street Fighter -4 SALE !
1974 CB/CL450 Cafe/Bar/Stripclub Racer
1955 Chevrolet Bel-Air Hardtop
Not to sack ride or anything but your 450 is somewhat of an inspiration to me. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
marrzman
you gotta tell us which trash company handles the dumpster...that seat...i'm dying for that seat. it may still be on top at the land fill. somebody's got to get that seat. never seen anything quite like it. it's not cafe, not bob, not cruiser, not racer. oh that seat. it would go great on a bomber dave 50.
parks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
quote:
marrzman
you gotta tell us which trash company handles the dumpster...that seat...i'm dying for that seat. it may still be on top at the land fill. somebody's got to get that seat. never seen anything quite like it. it's not cafe, not bob, not cruiser, not racer. oh that seat. it would go great on a bomber dave 50.
parks
It is stitting next to my garbage can, the garbage men must have thought "We cant let this guy make a mistake of this capacity" so they left it.

Maybe it can be the prize in a raffle or some sort of contest.

It would make an excellent Festivus gift.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
that seat .....uhm.....target practice!

Thank good you found a nice normal frame ,with title.may think of things like side covers .if you take them off to get rid of that non race looking airbox.You may want to trim off the tabs that hold it to the frame to clean it up.

and if you plan on rear sets right away you will trim the foot control on the brake pedal and the rear control arm lever .

just thinks you hav eto think about before you lay some spray bomb on the frame.I tell you if you get por 15 you can brush it on the frame and it will look powder coat smooth and tough as nails when done.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Borzwazie thumbs up brother cx500 is THE tank for the buck currently for cb, its the breadbox for the masses,(in the know).Make it feel so ducati ish .It just makes the bike look so ballsy.And fits with little modification .Add a solo seat and people scratch their head to figure it out and look expensive. You do need to use the cb360 petcock Im sure I have said it once but to be sure noone has issues save the screw on parts ,from the old pet cock,some times they fit other stuff or other petcocks so keep it.

as far as the kick stand goes its heavier then the center stand .cut of the frame bracket and u have cut of a load ( but if you keep it fine )
The center stand only available on high end bikes now is light weight period and helps when adjusting chain or any maintanence work I love my center stand ,if you found yours loose you can take the slack out with the clamp bolts that hold it check it adjust it and use it .
I was so happy ditching the kick stand it was a lump.

Edited by - LilBull on Jun 22 2007 7:19:23 PM

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
quote:
I tell you if you get por 15 you can brush it on the frame and it will look powder coat smooth and tough as nails when done.
Yeah, I am planning on doing some trim ups, but I dont want to remove anything I may want later so I am kinda sketchy.

Um... Por 15? Never heard of it, what is it and where can it be got?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Marz,

http://www.por15.com/

POR = paint over rust. Everything I've bought from them works as advertised. The POR-15 in particular dries very nicely and does smooth out so there are no brush marks. You need to top coat the POR-15 and they have a good chassis paint for that. The stuff is very tough.

Jim

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
http://www.por15.com/s.nl;jsessioni...eec.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38Mbh90?it=A&id=1410

This, the chassis black, get a pint and some cheap brushes and a pair of twizzers to keep in your pocket (for the brush hairs coming off the brush)and brushes because some times it starts to dry quick and its beter to have a fresh brush for a smooth service.

This is the glossy stuff same as above but high gloss

http://www.por15.com/s.nl;jsessioni...eec.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38Mbh90?it=A&id=1410

One pint will do your frame , in one step, over your sand blasted frame and it will look powder coated and be as tough for alot less.

hang the frame so you can get around it and take a deep breath and brush like picaso.move steadily so it doesnt dry on you and dont go over it just brush and move on as it will tack up quick ,so you dont want brush marks have faith brush and move brush and move.

if however you are not patient and want a go with spray bombs get duplicolor three to five good coats.good ,meaning even and medium spray as aposed to heavey and drippy.the trick is spray and walk away put down the can and walk away go out side up stairs somewhere where you wont be tempted to just stand and keep spraying till the can is gone.Because that doesnt build up layers it needs to flash and even dry alittle.Spray leave comeback, spray and leave till you have five good coats .then you would be thru.hang the brackets for the engine mounts the triangle pieces and the center stand and rear arm get them all the same time so you have the parts all the same time when putting it back together .You will be happy knowing you have a good coat of paint on every thing.

Id also recomend Duplicolor high heat silver and high heat clear over the silver HERE YOU NEED THE OPPOSITE OF THICK AS THE HEAT NEEDS TO LEAVE THE ENGINE ,so thin enough to "color the engine" let it dry.
Then a thin coat of clear for shine and protect from scuffs then stop.
The heat needs to go thru the paint to the atmosphere thick coats lock in the heat THIN WINS ON THE MOTOR--Thick is trick on the FRAME

Edited by - LilBull on Jun 23 2007 07:33:29 AM

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sounds like that will work well, I still have a mental block with brush painting anything with wheels but I guess that POR-15 is not necessarily the beige sherman williams used on the house.

I actually considered some of that black wrinkle coat bed liner type stuff although I am not sure the home application type would turn out well.

As for the engine, I considered thinning out paint a lot and just give it a "whitewash" coat of silver and just buff all the covers. How do these guys do their engines all black? Thin paint, light coats or do they just deal with the added heat?

On a side note, cleaned the carbs last night and they were surprisingly dry and clean. One was a little gooey but nothing a little carb cleaner and some brushes couldn't fix.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
thats very good news on the carb side ,the valve needle seats besure they are clean and smooth so when you put things back to gether they dont stick or hang up on you I would but some mystery oil on the seat and needle and put it together ( I love mystery oil) i d put it in the tank as well after I was sure it was clean as can be,there is a plastic strainer tube in side the tank if you can get it out and clean that and the dabrie that lays up against it its all you can ask for.

did I say i love mystery oil.Use it it does wonders on every thing lubes valves and chains and crabs and oh every thing .Im silly with the stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
PJ-1 makes very good spray paint for painting frames, touch-up, etc.

painting engine cases is a pain in the ass. i did it once, and i'll never do it again. you have to have it completely disassembled, masked off, and use hi-temp black spray. you'll have to give it two-three coats, be uber patient, and want to do it every year and a half when it starts to flake off anyhow.

i did it on my race machine, but i also painted the frame orange too.

i got a lot to learn.

texy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
my engine is painted duplicolor silver ("color" coat) just to give it color.and a light coat of clear just so the silver doesnt rub off first stone that ticks off it.Both Duplicolor high heat.Engine is still as new its been a year and a half.The engine was whole I sand blasted it blew it of and painted it.

Again aluminum engines ...air cooled ones especially thin coats are essential to let heat escape.
if you want black .Radiator shops have a breathing black coat of paint that works well.if you want a black motor.Or get it here

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...ODUCT&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=391&iProductID=726

Also check eastwood for other paints and products also Bill Hirsh he has great exhaust and engine paints that are aircraft standard when applied as directed

http://www.hirschauto.com/newpages/paint.htm

Chrome LOCKS IN HEAT so I always laugh when I see air cooled motors be it bikes or vws with loads of chrome parts claiming to be a performance machine.It maybe for a very short amount of time.

Edited by - LilBull on Jun 24 2007 07:38:18 AM

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Excellent, I think just a light coat of silver on the cases is what I will go for. Black seems like a lot of hassle to look cool, although I am a big fan of the blacked out look.

I plan to polish the covers and such.

thanks again for your advise, it helps tons.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts