Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So is that engine going to suffer from the horrors of overheating that I have read so much about when talking engine paint?

If not, why?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So is that engine going to suffer from the horrors of overheating that I have read so much about when talking engine paint?

If not, why?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
marz,

i painted my entire engine black in 2002. i have raced the snot out of it, won lots of races, crashed a few times, and changed the oil in it maybe 4 to 5 times since then. it seems to still run and make decent power. as far as i'm concerned overheating due to painting black is bunk.

it is a real pain in the ass to paint your engine.

tex

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
marz,

i painted my entire engine black in 2002. i have raced the snot out of it, won lots of races, crashed a few times, and changed the oil in it maybe 4 to 5 times since then. it seems to still run and make decent power. as far as i'm concerned overheating due to painting black is bunk.

it is a real pain in the ass to paint your engine.

tex

·
Registered
62 Posts
man that was a tough decision to vote for which bike was cooler but in the end i voted for the red one. just looks more hardcore and cleaner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
man that was a tough decision to vote for which bike was cooler but in the end i voted for the red one. just looks more hardcore and cleaner.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that is tough. i gotta say though, based on looks. i like the red one too. the front end on the black bike is rediculous though. im a little more for the retro brit look and the ride bike has that all over it. the black bike seems to have way more trick bits on it. but i like the look of the red bike more.

sorry.

and congrats. you guys all did a great job. those would look cool in front of the local pub, or at the track. pretty sweet.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that is tough. i gotta say though, based on looks. i like the red one too. the front end on the black bike is rediculous though. im a little more for the retro brit look and the ride bike has that all over it. the black bike seems to have way more trick bits on it. but i like the look of the red bike more.

sorry.

and congrats. you guys all did a great job. those would look cool in front of the local pub, or at the track. pretty sweet.

jc

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
tex

i am actually sending you one of these naugahide seats rather than the one you want...... just kidding. shit, we should have all chipped in to send that seat to bomber dave. dude would probably run it

matt

latered

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
tex

i am actually sending you one of these naugahide seats rather than the one you want...... just kidding. shit, we should have all chipped in to send that seat to bomber dave. dude would probably run it

matt

latered

·
Registered
687 Posts
yea i went for the red as well. the other school seemed to have more funding and resources. if i had to bet on which was faster i'd put my money on the black but i thought it silly they beefed it up so much and then left the stock fork.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
687 Posts
yea i went for the red as well. the other school seemed to have more funding and resources. if i had to bet on which was faster i'd put my money on the black but i thought it silly they beefed it up so much and then left the stock fork.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
how can you be sure i don't already have the lazy-boy seat installed on my new track weapon? i figure the bike is gonna be fast enough by itself.....i might as well be comfy.

enter the lounge racer!

texy

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
how can you be sure i don't already have the lazy-boy seat installed on my new track weapon? i figure the bike is gonna be fast enough by itself.....i might as well be comfy.

enter the lounge racer!

texy

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I believe they replaced the forks with xs650 forks, though I could be mistaken. I too prefer the red bike, based solely on looks, but I voted for the black bike. The twin discs are insane overkill indeed, but considering the amount of fabrication & engineering work that went into putting that thing together (don't forget, those guys cut half that frame off & fabbed a new rear section), those guys deserved to win. Unless I'm mistaken, the whole thing was a learning exercise and those kids probably don't know how lucky they are to have a teacher who's limited by only by his imagination. Sure it's pointless to put twin Brembo discs on a stock motored cb350, but in doing so they've gained invaluable experience they can carry over to lots of other endeavours. I wish I could have been one of his students.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
well the bike is pretty much stripped now...

but due to the obvious OCC wannabe that owned it before me cutting and welding the frame with the engine in, it is now trapped inside the frame.

time for the sawsall...

Luckily, the other frame / swingarm just came back from the sandblaster and is ready for paint

The engine is coming out tonight NO MATTER WHAT!

More to come.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Marz,
Since you have it sandblasted and clean now, you might want to consider doing some welding and trimming on it before it is painted. Those frames really benefit from having all the spot welded seams fully welded and now is the time to remove any unnecessary brackets and such so you can grind down the scars and have it look factory after painting. Also consider if you are going to want any brackets added for rearsets or steering dampers and such.
But if you are going to leave it stock then go ahead and paint it.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

41 - 60 of 78 Posts