Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
First pancakes, now cookies! I've got to get a 200GP bike going to get in on the eats.
I think the Frontierland race ought to have some TEX thongs as the coveted trophy.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Scott,
That happens quite a bit. But the rule is when the checkers come out for the fast class the race is over. So....some of the bikes in the slow class may have only completed 7 laps, but they still "finished" their race. When they look at the score sheets they'll count the laps done by each guy in the slow class. The guy who passes the checkers first AND has the most laps is the winner.
It's just like when a person in a long car race is 2 laps down at the finish. The race is over when the lead car has done all the race laps. The car that is 2 laps down doesn't stay out there and finish his laps...his race is over when the checkers comes out.
It's up to the scorers to sort it out, sometimes they get it right, other times they don't...in general if you are as far behind as I was it's not a matter of importance anyway.
Remember...all you ever have to do is pass the checkers at ANY time to finish your race. DNF is reserved for those that never pass the checkers. You can crash and are down 4 laps and if you get back on and pass the checkers you still finish the race.
So remember...get back on the bike if at all possible! And hope your effort isn't lost in the scoring. Sometimes they count the laps and see a rider is missing two laps and they assume it was the LAST two if the clock times aren't recorded. That's why they use the clock times.
Not that it matters in my case anyway.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Last race i was scored a a DNF. It took alot of complaining to change that. I did get the checkered, but as I did not show up as completing a lap on the scoring sheets, it was a DNF.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Scott, if you are in a position where you need or want the point...yeah, try to clear it up. Cause you DID finish if you cross the checkers. I remember that situation, a scorer or two had missed you somewhere and that threw a wrench into the works. I think typically they have like three scorers and they compare their sheets, if two of them missed you on a lap they'd DNF you.

I moved my number plates to a position that they can't miss them...seems to help. Bascially...if you are on the track surface and moving when the checkers go out you have not DNF'd. Even if you push the bike over the finish line.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Speaking of # plates, when i was scoring there was a 121 and a 21 in the same race. The 1 was hidden by the riders butt on the 121 bike and we kept scoring 21 twice.

Champ

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
that was really funny. i pulled over to plug in a spark plug wire... blew the race but caught up to bfd on his 175..we crossed the start finish line about the same time in the 6th or 7th lap. ha ha. i was more focused on having fun rather than scoring.

matt

·
Registered
53 Posts
aaron, i will try to join you guys in 07, i have to check the status of the 175 i was riding a couple years ago. last i heard it was going to get put in a hole and covered with dirt, it didnt go so well but i learned alot riding it. i learned id rather ride bikes that go good! the ulsv+200gp classes seem to have a lot of good close racing. and besides, champ just got an adrenaline spike thinking about franks cruel plan. he cant do that every time can he? joe ruth

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Well, if Joe is gonna run 200GP next season that puts me even further away from winning the cookies:)

Matt, I'm glad you understood Champs post that way. I thought he was saying your butt was so big it was covering your number plate. I know Champ has a set of balls on him but I didn't think they were that big. Or his socks were that tall
BFD

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
we could have a death match at frontierland.... two man enter....one man leave. besides... it sounds more like he was checkin my shit out.....

matt

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Lets not bust on the socks please. I am a wearer of tall socks. White, all cotton, over the calf...it's the only way baby.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
655 Posts
Dude, you need some Rev'It! racing socks. They're comfy, wick away moisture, and they look the business. I couldn't find a pic, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it.

Z

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
hey champ, thanks for letting me run with you for a while.that was the best race ive been in, and thanks again frank for the ride.that bike was a blast to ride.joe ruth
Joe,
Next time we'll both beat him. BTW That bike has 35 year old shocks. Just proves again that you don't need to spend a bundle...just get a good rider. ;)

FC

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
Jeff, that's a tough call about the tires. Most of us are racing modified street bikes...so yes in that case...not because of the tires though, but because of the suspension. JohnnyB
JB,
The race tires we had in the sixties were not as good as the street tires are now...even Cheng Shin.
I don't think the factory bikes had any better suspension than the rest of us. I used to run the stock Yamaha shocks.

FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yeah that was my point. I think the biggest difference between racing "back in the day" and now is the suspension. A modern "Works" brand shock, or an NOS Koni or Mulholland from the early 80's has got to be a WAY better shock than what factory bikes were using in the 60's.
Most of us aren't really USING our race compound tires to their limits at all...what we are doing is letting the modern race tires help us cope with our lack of skill. A mistake that might have caused a crash on tires in the 60's, may just be a little momentary slip on the tires we use now.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
53 Posts
frank, i'd like to try that bike again- if you dont tell me how old the rest of the parts are :) seriously though, that McCulloch branchmaster 180, with the delrin coated cheng-shins handled great! joe ruth

41 - 60 of 62 Posts