Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450, 1981
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey from Sweden,
I have an ongoing project where I building a hybrid Caferacer that has an electric turbo / supercharger mounted and thought that this forum can be a good to be apart of!:)

MAIN PROJECT TASKS:
  • Will Electric supercharge motorcycle & dyno test results.
  • Create a AFR-tuning solution for optimization.
  • Rebuild bike in caferacer style.
More info: Graph-Tune 1.0 | Electric turbo / supercharger | Project

Gauge Camera accessory Measuring instrument Audio equipment Cameras & optics

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

//Strömmarn

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome, I do like the idea of a electric supercharger but this strikes me as a gimmick 270watts just isn't enough. can you use aux batteries and or capacitors that can charge from the bikes electrics then via a relay isolate and switch to provide she term high voltage for real boost on 3/4-wot before it burns out the electric motor.

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450, 1981
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, I do like the idea of a electric supercharger but this strikes me as a gimmick 270watts just isn't enough. can you use aux batteries and or capacitors that can charge from the bikes electrics then via a relay isolate and switch to provide she term high voltage for real boost on 3/4-wot before it burns out the electric motor.
Hey, are you sure there is too little power in the supercharger to give a boost? I'm not sure but it will be up to proof when the motorcycle becomes dynotested .. regarding the electricity, there will be two separate electrical systems but which work together through different solutions briefly described .. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey, are you sure there is too little power in the supercharger to give a boost? I'm not sure but it will be up to proof when the motorcycle becomes dynotested .. regarding the electricity, there will be two separate electrical systems but which work together through different solutions briefly described .. :)
I'm happy to be proven wrong. A friend of mine put a Toyota supercharger made for a 2lt four on his 4lt diesel land cruiser and he asked me to work out the drive ratio which worked out he should overdrive it 50%, when I went over to help install it he had become impatient and put it on with the pulleys he had and despite only creating 2psi boost he was happy and said it was much improved.
So test it and lets see.

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450, 1981
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm happy to be proven wrong. A friend of mine put a Toyota supercharger made for a 2lt four on his 4lt diesel land cruiser and he asked me to work out the drive ratio which worked out he should overdrive it 50%, when I went over to help install it he had become impatient and put it on with the pulleys he had and despite only creating 2psi boost he was happy and said it was much improved.
So test it and lets see.
I'm not saying you'm wrong but I hope you'm wrong! We'll see what the dyno test says when it's time! :)

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Cool little piece of kit if it does work. I'll be interested to see how the Mukuni CV carbs handle it. Just trying to run pods on mine caused them to cack, I can't imagine how they would be able to draw open at all when boosted.
If it runs, I bet the carbs draw in air so fast at high speed the engine will be spinning his little fan motor pretty darn good.
Maybe he can see some positive gains at the battery if it's a DC motor/generator

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450, 1981
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool little piece of kit if it does work. I'll be interested to see how the Mukuni CV carbs handle it. Just trying to run pods on mine caused them to cack, I can't imagine how they would be able to draw open at all when boosted.
We will see I will test and see how it works and I have a few different alternative possible solutions I have thought of but want to test and see first ..

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450, 1981
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love little electric motors, lets see the motor and specs on the one that powers this.

Performance
Operating voltage: 12V-16V test value
Drive current: 26A measured value
Shutdown voltage: 0.8V throttle practical value
Full-speed voltage: 0.9V-2.2V use value
Linear drive: 0.9V-2.5V measured value
Speed range: 6800RPM-32000RPM
Wind speed range: 5m / s-86m / s measured value
Wind pressure range: 0.05kg / cm-0.2kg / cm with turbine test value
Adjustment mode: Throttle voltage signal is activated
Fan power: up to 240 watts
Font Screenshot Number Pattern Parallel
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450, 1981
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it runs, I bet the carbs draw in air so fast at high speed the engine will be spinning his little fan motor pretty darn good.
Maybe he can see some positive gains at the battery if it's a DC motor/generator
Its an AC generator and here is the specs for the electric supercharger!:)

Performance
Operating voltage: 12V-16V test value
Drive current: 26A measured value
Shutdown voltage: 0.8V throttle practical value
Full-speed voltage: 0.9V-2.2V use value
Linear drive: 0.9V-2.5V measured value
Speed range: 6800RPM-32000RPM
Wind speed range: 5m / s-86m / s measured value
Wind pressure range: 0.05kg / cm-0.2kg / cm with turbine test value
Adjustment mode: Throttle voltage signal is activated
Fan power: up to 240 watts
Font Screenshot Number Pattern Parallel
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
That sure don't look or sound like no 30,000 RPM
Have you ever used a router? They are lucky to run at 24,000 RPM and they scream at that speed. Check what your actual no load RPM's are now from 12 volts,
then figure on a whole bunch of inefficiency called slippage in your blowers ability to actually produce some air pressure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts