Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promised Paul Heid I'd give his shop a plug here. They are a polaris, BMW, Hodaka, all brands motorcycle and snowmobile service shop in the great Adirondacks (Johnsburg). The mom and pop shop (Paul is the son) is nestled in the back woods of the A-dacks and he has built several bmw race bikes. He has lots of spare parts for Guzzies, BMWs and CBs. So if you are looking for a part or a guy who has some exceptional motorcycle knowledge, give him a call.

They are also having an open house this weekend if you want to stop by as well. Just call for exact date and time - I don't remember.

Heid's Hodaka
2033 Garnet Lake Rd N
Johnsburg, NY 12843
(518) 251-2110

p.s., Paul did some great work on my R100 at half the price and aggrevation I would have encountered at a BMW NA dealership. No offense to Bucky over at Bob's.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
buckys doest know what hes talking about anyway........

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
buckys doest know what hes talking about anyway........

jc

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Peter -
What size CB's????? Always nice to know where CB750 parts are hiding...

thanks

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Peter -

thanks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Peter -

thanks
He said he picked up several 350ties, a few 360ties and has other parts. Just give him a call if you need something. I don't think it hurts to ask.

Jeff, he has a few pictures of a built R75 racebike in the shop..is that yours? I didn't recognize it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Peter -

thanks
He said he picked up several 350ties, a few 360ties and has other parts. Just give him a call if you need something. I don't think it hurts to ask.

Jeff, he has a few pictures of a built R75 racebike in the shop..is that yours? I didn't recognize it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Might be. He built a R75/5 and a R90/5 for George Gramlich who used to race with the USCRA. I ended up with the R75 and it has changed quite a bit since they last saw it (Circa 1996). It would be cool to see old pics of it. Max Stratton (Max BMW) bought the other Open class /5. It was a monster. We might see it back out at Loudon again someday.
This is how it looked 2 years ago and how they might somewhat remember it;

Last weekend:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Might be. He built a R75/5 and a R90/5 for George Gramlich who used to race with the USCRA. I ended up with the R75 and it has changed quite a bit since they last saw it (Circa 1996). It would be cool to see old pics of it. Max Stratton (Max BMW) bought the other Open class /5. It was a monster. We might see it back out at Loudon again someday.
This is how it looked 2 years ago and how they might somewhat remember it;

Last weekend:

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Jeff, do you know George? He's a cool guy, wish he didn't stop racing.

Been to Heids a few times. Cool place, and somewhat of a secret among the BMW/Hodaka people in the know. Been in business forever, and are known for excellent work.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Jeff, do you know George? He's a cool guy, wish he didn't stop racing.

Been to Heids a few times. Cool place, and somewhat of a secret among the BMW/Hodaka people in the know. Been in business forever, and are known for excellent work.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don't really know George. I responded to the for sale ad on the USCRA postings and traveled over to his place in NY to pick up the bike. While I was there oogling his collection, a couple other USCRA guys, from Maine as I recall, were picking up a couple of bikes, maybe a Hennings cb and a 2 stroke(I didn't know any racers at the time). After seeing the 900 BMW I wanted that too but MAX had already spoken for it.
Seemed like a super nice guy and from what I understand, a very good rider. Gone farming (he, heh, still remember his ad)

There was a pretty good article about Heids in the BMW Owners News a while back. Those style shops are disappearing fast unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don't really know George. I responded to the for sale ad on the USCRA postings and traveled over to his place in NY to pick up the bike. While I was there oogling his collection, a couple other USCRA guys, from Maine as I recall, were picking up a couple of bikes, maybe a Hennings cb and a 2 stroke(I didn't know any racers at the time). After seeing the 900 BMW I wanted that too but MAX had already spoken for it.
Seemed like a super nice guy and from what I understand, a very good rider. Gone farming (he, heh, still remember his ad)

There was a pretty good article about Heids in the BMW Owners News a while back. Those style shops are disappearing fast unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read the BMWON article about them awhile back and I have known about them for awhile, but I really had no need to go up there. With the "new" Mikuni 38s, I wanted someone in the know to mount and sych them. As I was walking around his shop, I saw some other parts (floating front disk rotors, etc) and Paul agreed to sell them to me for underwhat he could have gotten them on ebay or elsewhere.

I will now make the 1.5 hour trip "up nort" for any BMW needs I can't do myself. It would be a cryin' shame to have a place like that ever close.

Race picture - The BMW bike I saw had a fabricated alumn. gas tank on it. He also had a couple of pictures of the BMW sidecar race rig. I just didn't catch the name of the owners.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read the BMWON article about them awhile back and I have known about them for awhile, but I really had no need to go up there. With the "new" Mikuni 38s, I wanted someone in the know to mount and sych them. As I was walking around his shop, I saw some other parts (floating front disk rotors, etc) and Paul agreed to sell them to me for underwhat he could have gotten them on ebay or elsewhere.

I will now make the 1.5 hour trip "up nort" for any BMW needs I can't do myself. It would be a cryin' shame to have a place like that ever close.

Race picture - The BMW bike I saw had a fabricated alumn. gas tank on it. He also had a couple of pictures of the BMW sidecar race rig. I just didn't catch the name of the owners.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You must be talking about George's Butler & Smith R75 racebike. That was one of the bike's that I was drooling over. No mistaking it. Yep, Recessed aluminum tank. There are 3 of them in existance. I can't find any pics now. I'm thinking there is one in the Barber collection.

**UPDATE**
Found a picture of the bike I was reffering to. This might actually be THE same bike George owns since the rider (Justus Taylor)shown was from VT.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You must be talking about George's Butler & Smith R75 racebike. That was one of the bike's that I was drooling over. No mistaking it. Yep, Recessed aluminum tank. There are 3 of them in existance. I can't find any pics now. I'm thinking there is one in the Barber collection.

**UPDATE**
Found a picture of the bike I was reffering to. This might actually be THE same bike George owns since the rider (Justus Taylor)shown was from VT.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts