Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As good help is often hard to find I thought I'd pass this along for those who don't have available or aren't good machinist.
I needed triple clamps made for my two GS1100E Classic SBK's and I did not have the time to barrow a milling machine and practice on it and make my own parts. I was told by friends in the UK to try this fellow in Norway as he did good work at good prices.

Well I contacted him he needed drawings (I'm terrible at drawings) but I did have a set of OEM triple clamps and I knew how I wanted them made stronger and altered to my needs. I sent the yokes to him he did some drawings and sent them to me for approval. They were exactly what I needed so I asked for an estimate and held my breath. His price was about 40% of the price of the same work done here in the USA and ended up being about half of what it would have cost including duty and freight.

The yokes arrived a few weeks ago (turn around time was far better than anyone else I contacted) and I just finished mocking up the front ends on the racers and they are perfect and look great.

So if you need machine work done for a special project and even if it will entail some design work consider Scheffers Engineering in Norway [email protected]. I have no connection to this fellow except he did good work and a more than fair price and I am returning the favor that my UK pals did for me by passing the name on to the forum.

Cheers(y)

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
... His price was about 40% of the price of the same work done here in the USA ...
That's called the currency exchange rate. :sneaky: The Norwegian Krone is only worth 11 US cents right now,
or another way of looking at it, your US dollar never went down when a big chunk of the world took a 30% hit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct regarding the exchange rate except we did our pricing in USD. I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a one man firm out on the edges of civilization. He sent me pictures of a comping trip he took with his kids so they could go fishing. If I remember they didn't drive they walked. In the end It's really how many rupees I spent to get what't I needed isn't it ? Spent the same amount for three sets of yokes with Roel as I would have for one set anywhere else. And he has money to take the kids fishing. Cheers

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Trust me it don't work that way, when the US$ value is internationally inflated the rest of the world takes a relative pay cut. I remember well when Canadian money was worth $1.14 US, now it's worth 75 cents. That's a 25% buyers advantage you have right now, plus we pay 13% sales tax on top of our inflated cost for all materials and labour. ... If you shop up here we give you all the sales tax back before you leave the country.
& now you know why the rest of the world can scarcely afford to buy american produced goods.

BTW: I recommended that same company to others on this site before (y)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have seen your advice on Roel at some time in the past. Sure do like working with him. Will do it again in the future.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have seen your advice on Roel at some time in the past. Sure do like working with him. Will do it again in the future.
TR one thing to remember about the USD we may seem at the top of the stack right now but the way the our House of Representatives is printing money the dollar may have the same future as penny stocks. Part of the reason I'm into vintage guns and chunks of soft metals is I can't see us being able to print dollar bills with the same enthusiasm as we'd print "Batman" comics. Just saying old gun and bikes may be the only thing that will have any value in 5 years except maybe expensive booze,

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Don't want to see anybody tumble but it sure would be nice to see a level playing field :cool:
you don't know what it is like to leave a tip in CDN$ in a foreign country and have it refused lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts