Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,583 Posts
Mikuni BSW something:

I don't think we have ever seen those in north america. It doesn't make much sense to use something like that unless you had a clearance problem, like you might run into if you were building an inline 4 cylinder 250
83-84 GS550ES (I think the GS700/750s had them too) had them. PITA to deal with. I’ve not seen them on any other bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Standard fit on the gsx550.
Im pretty sure you had this model on your side of the pond.

The bike makes 65hp which is on par with other 550s of the era.
They are definitely fitted to clear the backbone of the bike as it drops down to the rear suspension linkage.

Pretty sure im stuck with them which isn't a huge deal but would have liked the tunability of slide type carbs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
right onto the rear wheel fitment.
I put the 3 inch wide rear into the swingarm and got it centered.
Measurements showed me that the sprocket carrier for the gsx600 wheel is not only too wide to even fit in the swingarm but also the sprocket is too far outboard by 12mm.

So i got thinking and done the following.

The front sprocket has a large flat washer on the inside now Measuring 4mm pushing the sprocket outboard and still clearing all frame parts.

I then machined down the whole carrier for overall height to enable the carrier to fit in the swingarm.
This necessitated the use of a sealed bearing as i have now lost the outer oil seal that covered the original bearing.

The mounting face for the sprocket was then machined back 8mm.

With 4mm pushed out at the front and 8mm machined in on the carrier this has bought the front and rear sprockets back into alignment by giving me the 12mm total and keeping the wheel centred.

A couple of spacers made quick on the lathe and the rear wheel is in.

Just need to sort the alignment of the rear brake caliper using a gsx600 brake bracket that will need a bit of facing off and the rear conversion is complete to match the upgraded front.

Really liking the fact the the front and rear ends look standard but have had a substantial upgrade.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I also started on the seat today.

Mocking the cowel up it looked way too wide. So i took the standard rear cowl and cut an inch out the middle lengthways and got it back together using new ABS & solvent weld. I then reinforced the ends with stranded glass fibre mix to put the strength back.
This was then attached to the standard seat base. (This allows me to keep the standard clearance for rear tyre travel and will also allow me to use the standard seat release to enable me to remove the entire rear seat and tail unit when finished)
This gave me a foundation to which i can extend the seat to meet the tank on the sides, again using ABS sheet.

Im up to the point you see below. Still lots of work to do but definitely getting there. the screws are only there until the solvent weld sets.
ABS is a brilliant material to work with.

The rear cowl has a sort of tr750 shape to it now which im digging.

I mean just check out that bone line!!! :LOL:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
So over the last couple of months with work and the virus restrictions i haven't had much chance to work on the bike.

I have done the following though...

-In order to get the correct rake and trail numbers with the new 17" wheels front and rear i needed it on the floor wearing the wheels and tyres its going to use to get everything spot on. As i didn't fancy putting new tyres on and off the wheels multiple times i went and got the wheels refurbished, powdercoated and the new tyres mounted. All new bearings and seals in and everything running true. I put them on to measure the difference from stock of rake and trail.

-The new measurements were done i now knew i needed 25mm increase in rear height translating to a 15mm longer shock needed to bring the stock geometry back in. I was going to go for wilburs but after speaking to some suspension tuners they pointed me in the direction of Bitubo. New shock ordered to suit with my specs and it arrived nice and quick from Italy. I must say that compared to some of my older ohlins shocks these seem to be on par in terms of build quality. I will report if it rides as well as people have told me it will. See below pic for the length difference and how shiny it looks... we all like shiny after all.

-Numbers now sorted i turned my attention to the forks. These are gsx600 units meaning an already substantial upgrade from the skinny 550 units with antidive. I have now upgraded them further with cartridge fork emulators.
Slight change of plan on this one as i found the PD Valves by YSS rather than the racetech items from America.
I have been told for fast road riding there is not much between them plus they were cheaper. Build quality again looks on par with the racetech items. Only time will tell.
I modified the damping rod as intructed and fitted the valves with adapted spacers. As the adjustment caps on the forks now done nothing as i had removed the orifice disc and adjustment rod to make room for the emulators i decided to get some cheap preload caps for the forks to add more adjustability to the set up. Pics of all this below. The forks were then assembled using all new seals washers and bushings.

Thats all for the update on this one.
Stripping the bike down is next really with welding tabs on the frame where needed and cleaning up the engine with new seals were needed.
IMG-20201114-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20201109-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20201025-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20201008-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20201008-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20201008-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20201001-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20200914-WA0002.jpg
20201030_125641.jpg
20201030_125646.jpg
 
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Top