Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done with my Ducati project and while I was waiting for the paint to be done I decided to start work on the GT750. Her are some pictures of my progress. That is a Hayabusa front end. I figured in the 70's this was probably considered to be akin to a Hayabusa. I am thinking of going with a CB750 Nighthawk swingarm in the back or a Katana swingarm. Not sure yet. I will use an SV650 rear wheel and brake setup. Plans for the bodywork is a stock gas tank and a TR750 seat. I may go to clip-ons rather than the upright bars, not sure yet. Also planning to go with electronic ignition and some Higgspeed chambers.

It arrives at the stable:

The front end comes off:

The Hayabusa front end goes on:

Did a quick mock up with the gauges but not feeling it, needs to look more compact:

This is a Dresda swingarm I bought but the SV650 tire is too wide and the arm itself has some serious pitting:

Other than the mentioned mods I am planning to get some really high quality rear shocks as well. Not sure yet, but thinking Marzocchi or Ohlins. I want it to handle well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rassie,

Bike looked great in stock form, will be interesting to see how it comes up when you've finished.

Not trying to sell them but I have some new Bitubo rear shocks sitting aside from a race bike that never got completed. Not sure if they'll work for you - depends on you're end setup.

Keep this one up to date, it's been a bit boring over in this section recently. That reminds me - I should update my project log.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by ajordan

Rassie,

Bike looked great in stock form, will be interesting to see how it comes up when you've finished.

Not trying to sell them but I have some new Bitubo rear shocks sitting aside from a race bike that never got completed. Not sure if they'll work for you - depends on you're end setup.

Keep this one up to date, it's been a bit boring over in this section recently. That reminds me - I should update my project log.
I am sticking with the twin shock setup. How long are they?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've done this - Kawasaki Zephyr 550 rear swingarm/wheel/shocks and front forks. They almost bolted themselves on. Looks like you have a neat project there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rassie,

Apologies for hijacking your thread - the Bitubo shocks I mentioned are 13" from centre to centre - eye to clevis.

No problems if they don't fit your needs, I've been sitting on them for years waiting for a suitable project...I'll probably sell them soon as I just bought some Hagon's for my current project.

Your bike look's nice as is, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by ajordan

Rassie,

Apologies for hijacking your thread - the Bitubo shocks I mentioned are 13" from centre to centre - eye to clevis.
They are the correct size, but I do not have the Clevis setup on the bottom end, is that replaceable?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW I have made some serious progress on the swingarm here is an update, first of a few...

Firstly the swingarm showed up and the seller did not even bother to use packing materials, so it is all beat up, but useable...sometimes I don't know what people think, how can you expect an item to arrive in good shape if you do not even take the time to pack it well...:wtf:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally got around to start hacking away at the swingarm..some pictures below..

Before as a comparison, I want the new one to be the same length, I hate the extended look on these bikes..

After I chopped off the front end.

After some more chopping..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made the plates to cover up the removed parts and then welded them in place...then took it to the machinist to make sure it is still square and then to mill in the recess where the pivot body has to be welded on...

Plates tacked on so I can grind off the excess..

All welded up...

Test fit before I do the final last few things...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started looking at seats..I am liking the black one, minus the number plate sections..the RS250 one is just too big and will require a lot of work to modify so it will look right..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway up near Boone with the better half this weekend so did not do any bike work, you have to ride some as well you know...

So finally got the swingarm done, the shock mount tabs are all welded up and I test fit it , it will go in with the wheel now so I can get the spacing sorted out...a little worried about the sprocket alignment but will figure that out this week...here are some before and after pictures as well as some that show the stock swinger, a Dresda swinger (up for sale) and the new modified Katana one side by side. The Katana unit is almost as light as the Dresda unit but way stiffer...:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have a roller..I finished up the swingarm and test fit it on the bike to see how the rear brake lines up and if I have enough clearance and so on. Also seems the chain alignment can be fixed by machining the sprocket carrier only. Here are some pictures.

Welding on the shock mounts:

Pictures of the clearances. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some more pictures of the rear brake..

And finally back together as a roller, I think the stance is perfect. The swingarm is about 15mm longer than the original and with adjustment can be exactly the same wheelbase as original.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I think it looks great with the stock seat. Just put a short mudguard behind it and call it done. It's more of a sports tourer kinda bike anyway - and a cafe tail would look a bit daft IMO.

Great work. Like it lots.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
This one I like.:) Great choice of bars. They look right on that bike. That's pretty drastic surgery on the swingarm.

You are right about those solo seats not working, but stock looks like the back end is missing something. It almost works, but not quite. It needs to look more integrated or finished I think.

On mine I fitted an earlier style tank and Hotwing glass Darkwing seat - that's a street tracker style and it's really wide to fit on a GL1000 and it works OK on the GT. I had to lengthen the seat to make it work the way I wanted it, but that's just me. I moved the side covers forward and inwards on mine to slim it by around 4" overall.

Mine was supposed to be a ZBB - Zero Budget Build to use up parts left over from another GT project. Here's one of mine to give you an idea of how the side covers and seat work.

And here's the one that still isn't finished...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Reallyreally nice work!

I was a bit sceptical when I saw the first pic with usd fork,
but with the shortened swingarm the 17" conversion just looks
right! (not as hillclimberesque as many updated 70s bikes)

Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Sven

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks good! Any one ever swap the radiator out for some smaller modern dirt bike type set ups? It just looks huge hanging out there.

Billy

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by billyfrank

Looks good! Any one ever swap the radiator out for some smaller modern dirt bike type set ups? It just looks huge hanging out there.

Billy
That radiator is the most iconic/recognizable part of the bike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

This one I like.:) Great choice of bars. They look right on that bike. That's pretty drastic surgery on the swingarm.

You are right about those solo seats not working, but stock looks like the back end is missing something. It almost works, but not quite. It needs to look more integrated or finished I think.

On mine I fitted an earlier style tank and Hotwing glass Darkwing seat - that's a street tracker style and it's really wide to fit on a GL1000 and it works OK on the GT. I had to lengthen the seat to make it work the way I wanted it, but that's just me. I moved the side covers forward and inwards on mine to slim it by around 4" overall.

Mine was supposed to be a ZBB - Zero Budget Build to use up parts left over from another GT project. Here's one of mine to give you an idea of how the side covers and seat work.
Great looking bikes man, I was initially looking at doing something similar to your current project but then changed my mind somewhat..I am considering using the stock seat, but shorten it by about 4 or 5 inches...I will play with that idea in the coming weeks..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by sven

Reallyreally nice work!

I was a bit sceptical when I saw the first pic with usd fork,
but with the shortened swingarm the 17" conversion just looks
right! (not as hillclimberesque as many updated 70s bikes)

Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Sven
I agree totally, the long swingarms just do not look right and doing a single shock in the rear forces you to do that so I went with the twin shock setup..

1 - 20 of 204 Posts